Author Topic: Whats the secret behind Agilent?  (Read 2544 times)

Offline x0170Topic starter

Whats the secret behind Agilent?
« on: June 16, 2010, 10:53:17 am »
Hi.

I am totally confused, evereyone is selling everyones products !?
I own a Rigol oszilloscope. Some days ago I saw an Agilent oszilloscope which had exactly the same operating system and gui on it like my Rigol scope but with an Agilent brand and logo. The same with HP stuff. Is Agilent just a distributor that buys mashines and sells them with its own name or do they produce any thing by themselves?
But its great to know that I got an Agilent quality oszilloscope for 200$ less than the original Agilent scope.

Greets.

alm

Re: Whats the secret behind Agilent?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 04:01:22 pm »
The lowest-end Agilent scopes are rebadged Rigol scopes, this is a well known fact. They are not completely identical, Agilent requested some firmware changes, and will give you better documentation and support. The higher-end scopes are all in-house designs, so you won't find an Infinium for $1000 with a different name on it ;).

Offline charliex

• Frequent Contributor
  • Car Hacker
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 05:12:24 pm »
Big successful company designs scope with large r&d budget+technical skill, uses outsourcing to bring to market, outsourcer capitalises on large companies r&d budgets, undercuts low end market share.

people say, lol, wut, why so expensive ?

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 10:10:08 pm »
Alm is correct. It's been a well known fact that Agilent have done this with their lower end gear for many years now, and this is how Rigol got their "stepping stone" into the big leagues. I mentioned it in my very first blog.
It's common practice in order to compete in more market "spaces" than your R&D and manufacturing group allows.

Dave.

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 08:09:20 am »
¿Has anyone try the Agilent firmware in the Rigol?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf