Author Topic: µSupply Bench Kit for selling?  (Read 7225 times)

Offline x18Topic starter

• Contributor
µSupply Bench Kit for selling?
« on: January 22, 2012, 10:58:21 am »
Hi Dave,

how about selling your µSupply bench as kit for people to solder it theirselfes at home? You could make a package with the pcb, components and a case perhaps and sell this. Also this package could be a little cheaper than the µCurrent you sell. Just the price detains me to order one.

Regards.

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
Re: µSupply Bench Kit for selling?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 11:04:29 am »
if you had been watching any of the recent videos, dave has been making it up expecially as a kit,

he is still waiting on his second rev pcb to come in so he can test it, and i assume write up the code for us to start off with,

as for pricing, there may well be another 2 revs before its released, dave is updating it as mild issues or conviniences arise, and if you have your own, please ask nicely, and check that it hasnt already been raised in the threads about the project

also, why would you think that an entire power supply that contains the uCurrent adaptor built in would cost less than the uCurrent itself...?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 11:06:34 am by Rerouter »

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 11:05:25 am »
I've mentioned on several occasions, the idea is that this will be a kit.
There is no chance it's going to cost less or even the same as the uCurrent, the parts costs alone absolutely rule that out.
If you want to know why, go price all the components and how they all add up. Even in volume, the LCD is $8, the case $5 or so, the heatsink a few bucks, a few chips that cost a few bucks each, a couple of PCB's and front and rear panels (as PCB's), and so on... it all adds up.
This will not be a cheap kit.

Dave.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 11:08:46 am »
if you had been watching any of the recent videos, dave has been making it up expecially as a kit,
he is still waiting on his second rev pcb to come in so he can test it, and i assume write up the code for us to start off with,

Yep. No code yet, and nothing built apart from the quick breadboard mockup.

as for pricing, there may well be another 2 revs before its released, dave is updating it as mild issues or conviniences arise, and if you have your own, please ask nicely, and check that it hasnt already been raised in the threads about the project

Yes, revisions are likely. For example, the 2 8bit I/O chips can be consolidated into 1 16bit chip to reduce cost.
Also, there is also another PCB that I have not even described yet, and there are front and rear panels to do too.

Dave.

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 12:04:21 pm »
From the beginning I was estimating that it would be 90~120 USD. I don't know if I am close to it.

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 12:17:01 pm »
From the beginning I was estimating that it would be 90~120 USD. I don't know if I am close to it.

Not far off I suspect.
To sell it for $100 or under for example it's looking like it would require some very clever buying from you know where.

Dave.

Offline FreeThinker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Truth through Thought
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 12:23:54 pm »

Alexander.
Don't know Daves take on this, is he doing it a Nice little earner? or as a loss leader to promote his Blog? If the former he needs to recoup BOM costs PLUS 50 to 100% at least to make it worthwhile. If the latter then you may be in the ballpark but it is a difficult call until you get the finished product. Kitting up a project like this CAN be a PITA and sometimes it is easier and cheaper to get them assembled, but as Dave has also stated he wants this to be a open hardware project so your options are open will that mean various options in the kit (Nightmare) or simply a basic kit + the ability to mod (most likely) so you see the problem as to cost.. it depends on your requirements but I cannot see it being any less than $150 with the case etc unless he gets high sale volumes.
Machines were mice and Men were lions once upon a time, but now that it's the opposite it's twice upon a time.
MOONDOG

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 10:21:38 pm »
Will the kit use a 50/60Hz transformer or will it have some external power brick?

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 10:25:36 pm »

Alexander.
Don't know Daves take on this, is he doing it a Nice little earner? or as a loss leader to promote his Blog? If the former he needs to recoup BOM costs PLUS 50 to 100% at least to make it worthwhile. If the latter then you may be in the ballpark but it is a difficult call until you get the finished product. Kitting up a project like this CAN be a PITA and sometimes it is easier and cheaper to get them assembled, but as Dave has also stated he wants this to be a open hardware project so your options are open will that mean various options in the kit (Nightmare) or simply a basic kit + the ability to mod (most likely) so you see the problem as to cost.. it depends on your requirements but I cannot see it being any less than $150 with the case etc unless he gets high sale volumes.

He could just sell the PCB and hard to get items like the specific LCD and the LT regulator and have a Digi-Key wish list or a bill of materials with all the part numbers, alternate suppliers and alternate manufacturers so you can get everything from just 2 places (Dave's online shop and a component supplier). Or maybe he can ask the guy who is assembling the µCurrents to prepare the kits for shipping (or train somebody to do it).

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 11:25:04 pm »

I'm ultimately trying to expand my revenue sources, so I'm not so reliant upon advertising, sponsorship, and donations.
It's not a loss leader, the blog grows fine on it's own, so I have no desire to do all that hard work just for a little bit of extra promotion.
Plus, and most importantly, I like to do it and want to do it.

Dave.

Offline Zyvek

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 07:00:06 pm »

I'm ultimately trying to expand my revenue sources, so I'm not so reliant upon advertising, sponsorship, and donations.
It's not a loss leader, the blog grows fine on it's own, so I have no desire to do all that hard work just for a little bit of extra promotion.
Plus, and most importantly, I like to do it and want to do it.

Dave.

Good to hear, I'd definitely buy kit versions of your test equipment projects!
-Z

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf