Author Topic: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project  (Read 3397372 times)

Offline moemoe

• Regular Contributor
Re: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project
« Reply #125 on: September 26, 2013, 07:38:55 am »
The Arduino lacks the complete power management which the Transistor Tester got (optimized for battery usage).

I'd say 'partly'. You can still put a simple switch between the battery and the arduino.

Self-Power-Off won't work this way, but the sleepmodes can still be used. So it's more a question of convenience than a real problem.
https://github.com/maugsburger/
Breadboard Adapters featured in EEVBlog #573 on Tindie

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #126 on: September 26, 2013, 12:07:29 pm »
The Arduino lacks the complete power management which the Transistor Tester got (optimized for battery usage).

I'd say 'partly'. You can still put a simple switch between the battery and the arduino.

Self-Power-Off won't work this way, but the sleepmodes can still be used. So it's more a question of convenience than a real problem.

It's not impossible :-) Please see http://www.pighixxx.com/lavori/ardutester/ for an Arduino version. But there are several differences due to the different hardware designs, starting with the voltage regulator (MCP1702 has a typical voltage tolerance of 0.4% at room temperature). And the dedicated hardware is less expensive than an Arduino Uno.

Offline Dark Prognosis

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #127 on: September 30, 2013, 02:30:56 am »

It's not impossible :-) Please see http://www.pighixxx.com/lavori/ardutester/ for an Arduino version. But there are several differences due to the different hardware designs, starting with the voltage regulator (MCP1702 has a typical voltage tolerance of 0.4% at room temperature). And the dedicated hardware is less expensive than an Arduino Uno.
SainSmart Mega2560 R3 ATmega2560-16AU + ATMEGA16U2 + USB Cable For Arduino 2013 http://www.ebay.com/itm/271187169712?ss
$17.99 delivered and while it does not have a screen I was wondering if that would work as good and at least I could update its firmware very easily but the ready made ones do not have that capability that I could see.

Offline Dark Prognosis

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #128 on: September 30, 2013, 09:22:10 am »
I sent this one guy a message asking what version was his running and he sent me back
Dear friend,

Really so sorry. I do not know what the problem is. I hope you can understand
He doesn't even know what a version is be it either hardware or software and other ones did show a version number of 2.xx on the main board but they were hard to read at the angle of the picture.

Offline bilko

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #129 on: September 30, 2013, 09:58:55 am »
I really only need it for ESR (to know if a cap is good or bad,  the exact value is of no interest to me), for inductance (again, precision isn't very important for my current needs), and for transistor matching - it can do all this so its well worth the price.

1.07k got an improved ESR measurement and 1.08k considers the leakage current of a BJT for hFE and fixes a problem with Germanium BJTs.

I couldn't see 1.08k, has this been posted somewhere else ?

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130 on: September 30, 2013, 12:51:03 pm »

1.08k is the current version and the current version is located at http://www.mikrocontroller.net/svnbrowser/transistortester/Software/trunk/ :-)

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131 on: September 30, 2013, 01:06:53 pm »
SainSmart Mega2560 R3 ATmega2560-16AU + ATMEGA16U2 + USB Cable For Arduino 2013 http://www.ebay.com/itm/271187169712?ss
$17.99 delivered and while it does not have a screen I was wondering if that would work as good and at least I could update its firmware very easily but the ready made ones do not have that capability that I could see.

I've found following tester clones including the LCD module:
- www.ebay.com/itm/131000917393?ss $18.55 + $ 0.99 shipping
- www.ebay.com/itm/271267317113?ss $12.89 + free shipping (no pads for ISP)

For most clones you just need to solder in a pin header for the ISP.

Offline Dark Prognosis

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #132 on: September 30, 2013, 01:23:27 pm »

I've found following tester clones including the LCD module:
- www.ebay.com/itm/131000917393?ss $18.55 + $ 0.99 shipping
- www.ebay.com/itm/271267317113?ss $12.89 + free shipping (no pads for ISP)

For most clones you just need to solder in a pin header for the ISP.
What is an ISP? I know Internet Service Provider but that isn't something you can solder on a PCB.

Offline A Hellene

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #133 on: September 30, 2013, 02:02:09 pm »
What is an ISP? I know Internet Service Provider but that isn't something you can solder on a PCB.
In System Programming, aka ISP, is one of the various hardware/software layers protocols for the programming of the ATMEL AVR line of microcontrollers, among the Bootloader programming, JTAG programming, HVPP (High Voltage Parallel Programming), HVSP (High Voltage Serial Programming), etc., all of which protocols are extensively documented in every AVR datasheets.

So, yes, it is perfectly feasible to solder an ISP header on a PCB. For example, here you can see J3, which is the Bootloader (with the RxD/TxD/GND lines) / Power (with the GND/Vdd lines) Header.

-George
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 02:06:13 pm by A Hellene »
Hi! This is George; and I am three and a half years old!
(This was one of my latest realisations, now in my early fifties!...)

Offline bilko

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #134 on: September 30, 2013, 02:11:09 pm »

1.08k is the current version and the current version is located at http://www.mikrocontroller.net/svnbrowser/transistortester/Software/trunk/ :-)
Thanks for that :)
I suspected that, however I just wanted to check as I could not see any version info in the trunk, the readme files is for version 1.06k?

Offline Dark Prognosis

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #135 on: September 30, 2013, 02:22:50 pm »
In System Programming, aka ISP, is one of the various hardware/software layers protocols for the programming of the ATMEL AVR line of microcontrollers, among the Bootloader programming, JTAG programming, HVPP (High Voltage Parallel Programming), HVSP (High Voltage Serial Programming), etc., all of which protocols are extensively documented in every AVR datasheets.

So, yes, it is perfectly feasible to solder an ISP header on a PCB. For example, here you can see J3, which is the Bootloader (with the RxD/TxD/GND lines) / Power (with the GND/Vdd lines) Header.

-George
Which is the ISP header?  I don't own an Arduino but I want one of these that are the most up to date but the sellers are worthless as they have zero knowledge.  It is One Hung Low at its best.

Offline A Hellene

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #136 on: September 30, 2013, 02:36:20 pm »
I have never used the Arduino platform, so I could not answer your specific question. Neither can I speak for the various e-bay implementations; as you said it yourself, these e-bay people are sellers and they probably know nothing more that the price of their merchandise and their commission!

Now, in the example I have linked to in my previous message, I am using the Bootloader for programming, so there is no ISP header in the proposed PCB.

The ATMEL AVR ISP Header is a 6-pin link between the programmer and the target chip. This is the ATMEL AVR910 In-System Programming application note, describing a low cost AVR ISP programmer that uses the hardware SPI module the target chips have embedded for that purpose.

-George

The following users thanked this post: Fred_47

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #137 on: September 30, 2013, 05:11:56 pm »
the readme files is for version 1.06k?

You'll find the current complete documentation (ttester.pdf) at http://www.mikrocontroller.net/svnbrowser/transistortester/Doku/trunk/pdftex/english/ (unfortunately you have to download the whole directory).

Offline bilko

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #138 on: September 30, 2013, 05:56:46 pm »
the readme files is for version 1.06k?

You'll find the current complete documentation (ttester.pdf) at http://www.mikrocontroller.net/svnbrowser/transistortester/Doku/trunk/pdftex/english/ (unfortunately you have to download the whole directory).

Thanks, that's great !

Offline Dark Prognosis

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #139 on: September 30, 2013, 08:30:12 pm »
The guy wrote me back and his response about having the revision number was "Because we are not suppliers, hope you can understand".

Utterly hopeless.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #140 on: September 30, 2013, 08:45:26 pm »
The guy wrote me back and his response about having the revision number was "Because we are not suppliers, hope you can understand".

Utterly hopeless.

Don't worry! Solder in an ISP pin header and get an ISP programmer 8)

Offline Dark Prognosis

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #141 on: September 30, 2013, 09:41:46 pm »

Utterly hopeless.

Don't worry! Solder in an ISP pin header and get an ISP programmer 8)
Which one of these http://tinyurl.com/mt3ao3t  and where do I get a header from?  Might just get that one that has it already but that is a HUGE price difference imo between the two I was linked.

Offline Dark Prognosis

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #142 on: September 30, 2013, 09:47:52 pm »

-George
Which is the ISP header?  I don't own an Arduino but I want one of these that are the most up to date but the sellers are worthless as they have zero knowledge.  It is One Hung Low at its best.
www.ebay.com/itm/131000917393?ss
I take it that the last picture of the three at the left hand side those 10 holes is for a non existent, but easily added, header?

10 - 10 pin (2x5) headers for $1.85 http://tinyurl.com/kyk7kwk delivered.

One thing I am noticing is that the LCD shield will never fit once the header is soldered in.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 10:09:58 pm by Dark Prognosis »

Offline A Hellene

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #143 on: September 30, 2013, 10:20:48 pm »
Yes, it seems that it must be a socket for the 10-pin AVR ISP header.

Be careful with the ISP polarity though!
This is the pinout for the standard 6-pin and 10-pin AVR ISP headers:

-George

Offline Dark Prognosis

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #144 on: September 30, 2013, 10:23:26 pm »
Yes, it seems that it must be a socket for the 10-pin AVR ISP header.

Be careful with the ISP polarity though!
This is the pinout for the standard 6-pin and 10-pin AVR ISP headers:

-George
It looks like a 10 (2x5) header but I see no indication of which is pin 1 on that board.  As I said above I am a bit doubtful that the LCD shield will fit once an ISP header is added as the header is taller, I think, than is the LCD header it looks like.

After looking at the board and those pinouts of the ISP headers it appears that the header will face down in the picture as the bottom two holes the first hole to the left of the picture appears to be going to Vcc.

It looks like the RST pin is not connected.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 10:36:13 pm by Dark Prognosis »

Offline A Hellene

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #145 on: September 30, 2013, 11:05:46 pm »
After looking at the board and those pinouts of the ISP headers it appears that the header will face down in the picture as the bottom two holes the first hole to the left of the picture appears to be going to Vcc.
This is probably right.

It looks like the RST pin is not connected.
Neither the four ground pins do! That is because this is a dual layer PCB, with the 'missing' traces existing at the other, opposite layer.

Regarding the LCD PCB, I am afraid that you are right: The ISP header pins are of the same height as the LCD header pins, and the ISP pins might hit (and short) the LCD resistors. Of course, you could trim the ISP pins height (push them gently, no more than a couple of millimetres, down through their plastic base assembly, and after soldering the header cut their excessive portions) and insulate the LCD PCB area that faces the ISP header.

-George

Offline senso

• Frequent Contributor
    • My AVR tutorials
« Reply #146 on: September 30, 2013, 11:25:31 pm »
Or solder female headers.

Offline A Hellene

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #147 on: September 30, 2013, 11:48:13 pm »
Or a 5*2 pin 90° Degree header.

-George

Offline Dark Prognosis

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #148 on: October 01, 2013, 02:01:47 am »
Or a 5*2 pin 90° Degree header.

-George
Yes, that is exactly what I was thinking but couldn't find any on Ebay so my search will continue. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-Rows-2-54mm-Pitch-10Pins-90-Degree-Angle-IDC-Pin-Headers-5-Pcs-/321218266576?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aca19c5d0

Now, once I have that soldered in then I get an AVR (I guess the ones I showed are alright?) I just grab a sketch and upload it to it?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 02:04:46 am by Dark Prognosis »

Offline A Hellene

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #149 on: October 01, 2013, 03:01:01 am »
Yes, you will need an AVR ISP programmer to upload the new firmware, which is a *.HEX file.

BUT, things are a little more complicated than that because the latest TransistorTester revisions have extended functionality and require the mega328 AVR microcontroller, which has 32 kB of FLASH memory. Most (if not all) of the chinese TransistorTester knock-offs have the cheaper and smaller mega168 that has 16 kB of FLASH memory only or, even worse, the even cheaper mega88 with 8 kB of memory or the older mega8. The latest firmware will only fit in 32 kB memory, if you want it to have full functionality; or else, you will have to recompile the project with some functions disabled (read the project files, I do not remember specific details) in order for the firmware to fit in FLASH memory sizes of less than 32 kB.

So, with the ISP programmer, you will firstly need to check which microcontroller is on board (since most of these knock-offs usually have their chip identification marks erased). If the programmer identifies the microcontroller to be a mega328, you will just have to load it with the latest firmware and you are done. If the chip is identified as a mega168/mega88/mega8, you will also need to change it with a mega328.

-George

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf