Author Topic: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project  (Read 3449402 times)

dave356, carrascoso and 13 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
Re: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project
« Reply #6425 on: August 18, 2020, 01:32:14 pm »
Good day. I would like to contact madires. I have an original Hiland m644 bought on aliexpress and an ILI9341 display connected that works in software SPI, and I cannot get it to work through hardware SPI. I am attaching two fragments of the config_644.h file, working and not working. I would like you to explain what I am doing wrong. It could be left as is, with software SPI, but I really want to get to the bottom of the details.

The pin assignment for hardware SPI is fine. Since the display is running with bit-bang SPI the wiring is also correct. And the Hiland's rotary encoder in parallel with PB5 and PB7 shouldn't cause any issues. Which firmware version are you using? Are the level shifters fast enough (ILI9341's Vcc is 3.3V)? The clock for hardware SPI is set to f_MCU/2 for the ILI9341.

Offline avr

« Reply #6426 on: August 18, 2020, 01:57:25 pm »
Hi

I have a LCR T4 and I have update it to 1.13k firmware version (with the files inside mega328_GM328 folder) and it works well. Now, I want to test the 1.40 M firmware but I can't find how to modify the files to fit my device.

I have used this guide: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/$20-lcr-esr-transistor-checker-project/msg1011926/#msg1011926 and I have completed the compilation, but when I uploaded the firmware to the transistor tester the screen was very dark, the letters are reversed but the device measures well the components. So I don' t know how to adapt the 1.40M files to my transistor tester. Could you help me?

Thanks

Read the provided CLONES text document, it is included in ComponentTester-1.40m.tgz

Then, modify the Makefile, config.h and config_328.h with the appropriate parameters from the CLONES document.
I am not sure but it should be the T3/T4 paragraph of settings in CLONES.

These are described in the 1.40m document here
https://github.com/madires/Transistortester-Warehouse/blob/master/Documentation/English/ctester-1.40m.pdf
"1.8. Building the firmware", page 9

Ok, I coudn't find the file with the instructions. I will read it.

Offline Chuck Norris

« Reply #6427 on: August 18, 2020, 02:01:25 pm »
Congratulations!
Did you measure and note some more characteristic voltages and signals in the "bad" system? Could you share them?
Could you also provide more info on the U4 FW - links, versions and dates? What tools did you use?
[It seems the only source is https://github.com/atar-axis/tc1-u4 - binaries are 1 day/update off!]
Probably presenting of proper settings for T7/TC1 M324PA would be also very helpful for many.

Well, I haven't done much. I've just recompiled the U4 firmware with Keil.
Before updating, with the T7 turned off, I had about 2.8v on PD1 which seemed to power U1 as well (mesured 2V on Vcc pins)

Offline K595

« Reply #6428 on: August 18, 2020, 02:37:38 pm »
I am using ComponentTester-1.40m firmware with 16 MHz alum. At the expense of the speed of the level switches, I have 10 kΩ resistors installed. But this phrase "Clock for hardware SPI is set to f_MCU / 2 for ILI9341", I did not understand. I have an 8 channel TXS0108E level converter available. Maybe you should try to install it?

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6429 on: August 18, 2020, 03:28:45 pm »
I am using ComponentTester-1.40m firmware with 16 MHz alum. At the expense of the speed of the level switches, I have 10 kΩ resistors installed. But this phrase "Clock for hardware SPI is set to f_MCU / 2 for ILI9341", I did not understand. I have an 8 channel TXS0108E level converter available. Maybe you should try to install it?

I see, you have in-series resistors to limit current and rely on the internal clamping diodes. Seems to be a timing issue. One solution is to replace the in-series resistors with a proper level shifter, as you already suggested. The other solution is to lower the clock rate of the hardware SPI. That can be done in function LCD_BusSetup() in the section for SPI in ILI9341.c. The line to modify is:
Code: [Select]
  SPI.ClockRate = SPI_CLOCK_2X;

For half the clock rate:
  SPI.ClockRate = 0;

And for a quarter:
  SPI.ClockRate = SPI_CLOCK_R0 | SPI_CLOCK_2X;

The ILI9341 driver's default clock rate for hardware SPI is f_MCU / 2, i.e. with a 16MHz MCU clock the SPI clock is 8MHz. Half would be 4MHz and quarter 2MHz. And that wouldn't be really faster than bit-bang SPI. IIRC, with an 8MHz MCU clock and bit-bang SPI clearing an ILI9341 based display takes about 3 seconds. So I would go for the level shifter IC to get maximum performance.

The following users thanked this post: K595

Offline K595

« Reply #6430 on: August 18, 2020, 03:54:52 pm »
madires, I got it. The situation is starting to clear up. I will experiment with TXS0108E. Thank you for participating.

Offline K595

« Reply #6431 on: August 18, 2020, 07:55:38 pm »

madires, I followed your recommendation for TXS0108E and the result is excellent. With the level converter, the hardware SPI is working. It would be nice to note this in the documentation. Many thanks for the help. Another blank spot for me became smaller.

Offline ltwin8

• Contributor
« Reply #6432 on: August 19, 2020, 12:03:40 am »
Hello, I just came across this thread.

sadly its so long I can not possible read all, I hope that is understandable.

i have two questions:

first: which tester is at the moment the "best"? the M644?
added features:
50V Zener measure
better range resistor

second: I read in the firmwares from https://www.mikrocontroller.net/svnbrowser/transistortester/Software/Markus/ComponentTester-1.40m.tgz?view=log some indications o relays for capacitor discharge, reverse hFe and some other cool nice to haves

is there any new model out here?

can someone point me to instructions, if possible video, on how to flash the new 1.40m firmware from Markus on the m644?

thank you all in advance

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6433 on: August 19, 2020, 10:14:15 am »

Please see the last 10 pages (it's a common question).

second: I read in the firmwares from https://www.mikrocontroller.net/svnbrowser/transistortester/Software/Markus/ComponentTester-1.40m.tgz?view=log some indications o relays for capacitor discharge, reverse hFe and some other cool nice to haves

can someone point me to instructions, if possible video, on how to flash the new 1.40m firmware from Markus on the m644?

https://github.com/madires/Transistortester-Warehouse/tree/master/Documentation/German

Offline ltwin8

• Contributor
« Reply #6434 on: August 19, 2020, 11:20:56 am »

Please see the last 10 pages (it's a common question).

https://github.com/madires/Transistortester-Warehouse/tree/master/Documentation/German

Hello, thank you, but I did not find understandable instructions for flashing nor found an answer on what's currently the best tester.

is it possible that you just give the answer or direct me to a specific post?

the documentation I found before.

that's why I am asking in here because the instructions are not that understandable to me.

thank you

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6435 on: August 19, 2020, 02:30:28 pm »
The README.de and PDF both tell you to simply run "make upload" or to use your IDE. And the last answer to the common "which clone is the best?" question is just 4 pages away: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/$20-lcr-esr-transistor-checker-project/msg3127858/#msg3127858. Neither hard to understand nor hard to find. ;)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 02:35:02 pm by madires »

Offline ltwin8

• Contributor
« Reply #6436 on: August 19, 2020, 03:19:58 pm »
The README.de and PDF both tell you to simply run "make upload" or to use your IDE. And the last answer to the common "which clone is the best?" question is just 4 pages away: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/$20-lcr-esr-transistor-checker-project/msg3127858/#msg3127858. Neither hard to understand nor hard to find. ;)

thank you, that two I also found, if that's the common sense now that that are the best all-round testers in this category that's fine, than I guess the stuff with the relays is only found in DIY versions of them.

one more thought is why do they still use the AVR chips and not a STM32 or at least external ADCs like ads1115?

thank you again for your answer. I will try with a real linux installation and not vm. as an IDE I can only think of maybe Arduino or similar?

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6437 on: August 19, 2020, 03:58:59 pm »
That was also answered in the last 10 pages. ;) You can get free IDEs from Atmel/Microchip for example.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6438 on: August 20, 2020, 01:42:38 pm »
I'm looking for samples of Schottky transistors (AKA Schottky-clamped transistors). The next firmware version will support them and I'm simply connecting a Schottky diode to a BJT for testing. But Schottky-clamped transistors can also have the Schottky diode integrated on the same die which provides some benefits. So I'd like to test those too.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6439 on: August 30, 2020, 04:36:56 pm »
Would you like to know if the hFE of a BJT was measured in the common emitter or common collector circuit?

Online indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6440 on: August 31, 2020, 11:33:58 am »
madires,Yes, of course :)

Offline jdev99

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6441 on: August 31, 2020, 05:04:49 pm »
For anyone venturing into any of the ready made PCBs from China, I have made case designs suitable for 3D printing for several variants. If you do not have a 3D printer yourself, you can order 3D prints for various places. My designs are:

GM328A: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1920077
M12864: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1580922
LCR-T4: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:797733
LCR-T3: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:694790
Alphanumeric: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:641003

Thank you egil for your designs.  :-+

I hope you don't mind, I remixed one to be able to use a double 18650 holder with the Hiland M644.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4584702

The following users thanked this post: coromonadalix, fanOfeeDIY, Jacon

Offline de_light

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6442 on: September 02, 2020, 12:12:52 am »
Hi guys,

Having some problems with my BSIDE ESR2 Pro running 1.40m

It has started 'freezing'/hanging on the 'Bye!' shutdown screen. The only way to turn the unit off at this point is by removing the battery. Any clues on where to start looking for the fault?

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6443 on: September 02, 2020, 09:01:06 am »
I'd start with PD6 which switches the power and check the circuit around Q3 and Q2.

Online indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6444 on: September 03, 2020, 02:51:07 pm »
Hello owners of the popular LCR-T1 clone! For ATMega644 only!
With the help of my friend bdk100@vrtp.ru I managed to adapt k-firmware 1.13k(revision 813) for this device.
It was entertaining in terms of gray matter warm-up.  ;D
The archive, which I attach below, contains a modified configuration file config.h, firmware files in English, and a description file Readme.txt.
Please read it carefully. Happy testing!
Photos were kindly provided by bdk100, who checked and tested this firmware in Russian. :)
There is no support for testing IR RC Detector/Decoder in k-firmware yet.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 04:12:19 pm by indman »

The following users thanked this post: madires, bitseeker, Obelix2007

Offline Obelix2007

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6445 on: September 07, 2020, 02:00:43 am »
... LCR-T1 clone! For ATMega644 only!

Hello indman, madires and all the other members here in this forum,
my Multi-Funktion-Tester - T7 (the same PCB and all the same Components as LCR-T1) has now I modificated with TC1-Mod, a Rotary-Switch and change the controller to ATmega644PA U-TH.

1061434-0

The k1.13 firmware and also the m1.40 firmware I flashed successfully and the tester works fine (nearly)!

1061438-1

1. The k1.13 works fine, but at the top of the display the first 8 rows are wrong pixel?
Have anyone a idea about this wrong pixel???

1061442-2

2. The m1.40 works also fine, the display looks good - but has a problem with hFE results. Not so great deviations like the "Hiland m644", but clear enough. If I take the workaround for this problem and the hFE results are good.

Best Regards Horst

« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 02:08:56 am by Obelix2007 »

Online indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6446 on: September 07, 2020, 07:30:37 am »
(Attachment Link)
1. The k1.13 works fine, but at the top of the display the first 8 rows are wrong pixel?
Have anyone a idea about this wrong pixel???
Replace the lcd_defines.h file that I attached below and compile again  :)
You can make 8 lines in the main menu if you use the flag in the makefile
CFLAGS + = -DMAX_MENU_LINES = 8
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 07:43:32 am by indman »

The following users thanked this post: Obelix2007

Offline Obelix2007

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6447 on: September 07, 2020, 09:41:27 am »
Hi indman,

thanks for the prompt reaction at my call for help. :-+ But first, for a old man, needs time for a good breakfast! Later I go to install your hints and report it. In the last night I have detekt an other little bug, but report also later.

Regards Horst 

Offline Obelix2007

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6448 on: September 07, 2020, 05:07:11 pm »
... and report it.
Hi indman,

now the changing are tested - it works, but no 8 wrong lines, now 1. So I set the entry 130 to 131 and no longer wrong lines are in the display!
Many thanks for the right trigger.

The other "little problem": the examples with ATmega644 has all the menu-entrys for Counter with prescaler and xtal messurement for high and lo types as needed vor the example from documentation of Karl-Heinz in the "Figure 2.26. Extended Transistor Tester circuit with ATmega644".

Only the clon "Hiland 644m" comes with this additional hardware <AFAIK>. Is it possible, for testers without this hardware (f.e. TC-1; T7), the unusable menu-entrys deleting?

Best regards Horst

Online indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6449 on: September 07, 2020, 06:55:11 pm »
Only the clon "Hiland 644m" comes with this additional hardware <AFAIK>. Is it possible, for testers without this hardware (f.e. TC-1; T7), the unusable menu-entrys deleting?
Possible! I did this in the firmware I attached above in the archive.
To do this, you need to very very carefully and properly correct the menu items in the function menu.c  file. ;)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 08:38:15 am by indman »

The following users thanked this post: Obelix2007

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf