Author Topic: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project  (Read 3437657 times)

indman and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline upsss

• Regular Contributor
Re: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project
« Reply #3350 on: March 10, 2017, 03:21:31 am »
They all come with a standard 8MHz crystal.  All you have to do is replace the crystal with a 16MHz, edit the Makefile, compile and and reflash it.

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #3351 on: March 10, 2017, 05:44:20 am »
I have a minipro but didn't use it.  I used an adafruit tinyisp, which is kind of old, but is really just an atmel style chip programmer.  you supply your own zif socket for that.

to answer your question, to convert the 'firmware files' to a hex file - that's called compiling.  you would have to install the 'tool chain' (gcc, and all the rest) to run 'make' and create the binary hex file.

if you already have hex, then you should be able to import it into minipro and burn as usual.  maybe I'll try that when I have time and see if there are any issues.

Offline StormJunkie

« Reply #3352 on: March 10, 2017, 10:53:38 am »
Sure can't beat the price on this little tester.  Any advice on getting one?  Bangood? 

Offline mauroh

• Frequent Contributor
    • Mauro Pintus
« Reply #3353 on: March 10, 2017, 11:17:21 am »
Hello, I just got my kit as well. Using AT328P chip and color display.
Could the firmware be burned as HEX file using this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/122355661168?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true
MiniPro programmer? Help is appreciated.

I don't know your skills so do not be offended if I tell you something you already know:

Why you need to upgrade the firmware?
If you have just received the tester enjoy it. If it works do not rush on burning a new firmware.

If I got it correctly you have this tester:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/$20-lcr-esr-transistor-checker-project/?action=dlattach;attach=297098;image

This tester can be upgraded with 2 different firmwares the m-firmware and the k-firmware

For the k-firmware, each time a new version is released in the following folded you will find the files already compiled for your specific hardware:
https://www.mikrocontroller.net/svnbrowser/transistortester/Software/trunk/mega328_color_kit/

To load this firmware with your TL866 programmer on the ATmega328 you need to load the .HEX file as INTEL HEX in the Code memory, the .epp file as INTEL HEX in the Data memory and then you need to set the proper fuses as shown in the attached picture.

For the m-firmware (madires is the author of this amazing variant!!!), each time a new version is released in this folder you will find the updated sources.
https://www.mikrocontroller.net/svnbrowser/transistortester/Software/Markus/

As stated by linux-works if you want to customize the k firmware enabling some optional functions or you want to try the m firmware you need to modify in the sources few files (Makefile and/or config.h...) and compile it with the proper tools.

Here you can fing a nice guide to build the firmware
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/$20-lcr-esr-transistor-checker-project/msg1011926/#msg1011926

Or look for the posts of tom666 in this thread, he posted so many usefull informations.

Mauro

Offline upsss

• Regular Contributor
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 06:13:50 pm by upsss »

Offline IvoS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3356 on: March 10, 2017, 07:55:19 pm »
Thank you "mauroh", you provided very useful information, I don't have to browse all 134 pages.
Many thanks. Thank you "linux-works" for the info as well.

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3357 on: March 10, 2017, 08:54:09 pm »
They all come with a standard 8MHz crystal.  All you have to do is replace the crystal with a 16MHz, edit the Makefile, compile and and reflash it.

Perfect. I have everything I need but some spare 16Mhz crystals. Think I'll get a few spare ATMega328s too. Thanks.

Offline upsss

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3358 on: March 11, 2017, 04:43:54 am »
You can get like 10 crystals for less than $1 on eBay.

Offline Melkocha

« Reply #3359 on: March 11, 2017, 01:50:32 pm »
Hi Madires & Co.

I want to update my version 1.12 K in model T4 with your latest firmware.

Is it mature? (I know that never it is, but I mean if work well the functions that includes  ;)

What other features has built-in? (Test IR, servos,... what more?)

Thank you!

Online madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #3360 on: March 11, 2017, 02:54:22 pm »
The m-firmware is mature since the first version ;) Let's see what else we got:
- dedicated optocoupler test
- CLDs
- MT1/MT2 detection for TRIACs
- FETs with low I_DSS
- less trouble with depletion mode FETs vs. Germanium BJTs with high leakage current
- two adjustment profiles
- support for 20MHz MCU clock
- bitbang & hardware I2C and SPI for displays

@Mauroh: I've ordered a bunch of the cheapest rotary encoders I could find, including EC11 fakes.

The following users thanked this post: mauroh, Melkocha

Offline Melkocha

« Reply #3361 on: March 11, 2017, 03:21:49 pm »
The m-firmware is mature since the first version ;) Let's see what else we got:
- dedicated optocoupler test
- CLDs
- MT1/MT2 detection for TRIACs
- FETs with low I_DSS
- less trouble with depletion mode FETs vs. Germanium BJTs with high leakage current
- two adjustment profiles
- support for 20MHz MCU clock
- bitbang & hardware I2C and SPI for displays

Wow, thanks you Madires! Amazing work!

Is this firmware available for the hardware version T4?
Is it necessary to make any changes on the PC Board? (In this case, could you show the link?)
Did I read days ago about tests on servos? Are present?

Thanks again!

Online madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3362 on: March 11, 2017, 03:34:42 pm »
IIRC the settings for the T4 clone are listed in the "Clones" file. You don't have to mod your tester, unless you like to add some hardware options. The servo check was added in the last version (1.27m).

The following users thanked this post: Melkocha

Offline pepe10000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3363 on: March 24, 2017, 03:19:58 pm »
Hi.

I'm having some problems with the latest firmware revisions k (722 and 723) in measuring medium-low resistors value with my LCR-T4-H testers.

However with 729 and previous revisions work perfectly.

I attached some photos of the problem in question.

Is someone else going on?

Thank you and greetings.

Offline stevelup

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3364 on: March 24, 2017, 04:00:34 pm »
Received mine today. It's the colour LCD version with encoder. I bought it with the laser-cut acrylic case.

£12 ish and just 13 days for delivery from Aliexpress. Impressed!

Will assemble it tomorrow. Intention is to test it as supplied, then swap the 8MHz crystal for a 16MHz one and load the latest firmware.

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #3365 on: March 25, 2017, 09:53:56 pm »
what is needed in order to power this directly from a 5v source?

I'm looking at the schematic for the m328 (graphical unit) and it has 3 transistors in the psu area.  I'm not 100% sure why they are all there, and if I should remove any or just direct wire my 5v supply to the output of the regulator chip and ignore everything before it (?)

I'm going to use a lipo 3.7v -> 5v step-up and don't have the option to supply 9v to the unit.

Online madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3366 on: March 26, 2017, 08:03:29 am »
The PNP switches the power (pass transistor), one NPN driven by the MCU is switching the pass transistor and the second NPN is the button feedback for the MCU. One way would be to replace the 5V regulator by the boost converter and adjust some resistor values in the power circuitry. And add a LC filter to the boost converter.

Online madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3367 on: March 26, 2017, 08:06:21 am »
These are great little testers.  I am looking for a DIY kit with M328, basic graphics LCD and rotary encoder, 2016 V1.12 software, and a PCB that has an ISP port so I can update it in the future.  Anybody recommend a decent seller ?

Plesae see the post just above your's ;)

Offline pishta

• Contributor
« Reply #3368 on: March 27, 2017, 02:13:03 am »
I just built the "EZM328 V1.10 '2016' model" based on the DIP Atmega 328 and was wondering if there was a firmware update to this model (FW says 1.12K). This one has the rotary encoder and the 3 prong probe plug in left side and no battery terminals on the bottom. Also has Frequency input/output (?) as a plug on upper right. It uses a 12864 9 pin green backlit (BL = pin 9) monochrome display, but they only gave me 8 header pins! They also shorted me 4 standoff screws.  Designer labeled as "EZM Electronic Studios" although it was never silk screened in white ink as mine was possibly a scrap board buyout as it has a silkscreen error on the board, showing 2 R1 resistor location call out (Its an R10 misprint). Works fine, but some other versions have better "graphics" for components.  They sent me the kit with no assembly instructions but directed me to this link for callouts. http://115.28.16.44:81/file/4660.pdf

Online madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3369 on: March 27, 2017, 08:45:11 am »

Offline pepe10000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3370 on: March 27, 2017, 02:37:37 pm »
The problem persists in firmware k revision 725.

It continues to measure impedance capacitance and frequency when you measure medium-low resistance value.

I return to the 719 revision that works perfect.

A greeting.

Offline Experimenter

• Contributor
« Reply #3371 on: March 28, 2017, 11:17:37 am »
Hi All,

I was looking for an ESR meter and found this thread. This is an excellent device, thanks to the continuous support of the developers!

My goal is to be able to check capacitors in the power supply circuits. These caps may be quite large at times (2700uF and larger). Is there a way to do it with this meter?

Online madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3372 on: March 28, 2017, 11:32:26 am »
Should work fine. I've tested caps up to 20mF.

The following users thanked this post: Experimenter

Offline Experimenter

• Contributor
« Reply #3373 on: March 28, 2017, 11:48:46 am »
Oh, that's great!

Reading through the manual, it says it can measure up to 10mF, which should be plenty for my needs!

Thanks for confirming this!

Now, another question: has someone thought of building an SMD-components version of this one? Looking at Ebay / Aliexpress / Banggood offers, there seem to be already built versions available, but I couldn't find a setup that I like (I want a rotary encoder in there, and preferably an ISP header to be able to update the firmware easily). There are also kits available, but they come with through-hole components. I don't have anything against that, but I'm so used to SMD during the last few years that I am starting to think of building an SMD-components version myself...

Offline casinada

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3374 on: March 28, 2017, 03:05:27 pm »
There are many SMD Variants but it seems that they realized that people like the bigger components better for easier hackability.  :)

The following users thanked this post: Experimenter

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf