Author Topic: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project  (Read 3434856 times)

Offline lordium

• Regular Contributor
Re: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project
« Reply #7275 on: November 19, 2021, 10:13:50 am »

What issue did you have with the TC1 not shutting down? I have one "original" TC1 that the battery will go flat on its own when left for a few days, but I have a clone of a clone TC1 that works perfectly and the battery is never discharged.
I quite fancy modifying the problematic TC1 I have.

Wasn't shutting down properly. Stuck with screen on saying something along the lines of "shutting down, bye bye". Measured 3.7uA current with it turned off as it is now. Attached kicad project for reference. Guess you can tweak some components or values if you need better result or have different parts in hand compared to what I had (some space available for larger components). This was just a quick and easy fix so didn't spend real any time on it.

The following users thanked this post: TheBay

Offline frank19

• Contributor
« Reply #7276 on: November 19, 2021, 03:20:37 pm »

and I don't see the VOLTAGE menu, can you add

thank
After optimizing the source code, it became possible to add this to the menu.
Changed archive

Hi Yuriy_K
This firmware works, but I don't understand why I have to press push 2 to 3 times to start, if only pressing the button 1 times clone doesn't turn on.

thank
I have tried this firmware https://disk.yandex.ru/d/yW8xa5NJgUo5z/GM328A/Firmware/Markus%20Reschke/English/16MHz and the same problem when I press the button once the screen just flashes, if I long time press the button, or press it many times quickly, the clone can start life. I use clone AY-AT / GM328A

then I tried the firmware https://disk.yandex.ru/d/yW8xa5NJgUo5z/GM328A/Firmware/Karl-Heinz%20K%C3%BCbbeler%20 and the problem is gone, the clone can be turned on with just 1 button press. I'm sure it's not a hardware malfunction, please anyone who knows any advice is appreciated

Offline Yuriy_K

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7277 on: November 19, 2021, 04:05:19 pm »
then I tried the firmware https://disk.yandex.ru/d/yW8xa5NJgUo5z/GM328A/Firmware/Karl-Heinz%20K%C3%BCbbeler%20 and the problem is gone, the clone can be turned on with just 1 button press. I'm sure it's not a hardware malfunction, please anyone who knows any advice is appreciated
Over the course of three years, Karl-Heinz made a lot of changes to the source code. My color additions added even more changes. Recently I made a color version of mega644_T7_Mod on this library. Everything worked without errors.
Check the parts pointed to by the arrows, especially the resistors ...

Offline frank19

• Contributor
« Reply #7278 on: November 20, 2021, 01:39:29 am »
Over the course of three years, Karl-Heinz made a lot of changes to the source code. My color additions added even more changes. Recently I made a color version of mega644_T7_Mod on this library. Everything worked without errors.
Check the parts pointed to by the arrows, especially the resistors ...
Hi Yuriy_K
I really appreciate your hard work in building the color firmware.

I have checked the transistors S9012, R3K3 and R33K as well as S9014 which is connected to the switch, I see everything is fine. measurements were also taken, I even tried to replace the components with the same value. there is something strange when try to attach the 6PIN cable for the programmer to the IDE USB ISP, it should be 5V connected via USB ISP can be start and testing the clone (without battery connect to LCR, only USB to ISP 6PIN) it should start to testing. but what I see with the above firmware is just a "white screen" on the Clone LCD display.

so which other parts to check? I will check everything..

Direct 5V VCC source (no LDO, no SWITCH) can't turn on the LCR with Yuriy_K's new color firmware in post #7273
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/$20-lcr-esr-transistor-checker-project/?action=dlattach;attach=1326938
and the M firmware in
https://disk.yandex.ru/d/yW8xa5NJgUo5z/GM328A/Firmware/Markus%20Reschke/English/16MHz
only "white screen" on LCD.

while with the Yuriy_K firmware on post #6912
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/$20-lcr-esr-transistor-checker-project/?action=dlattach;attach=1221711
and the K firmware in
https://disk.yandex.ru/d/yW8xa5NJgUo5z/GM328A/Firmware/Karl-Heinz%20K%C3%BCbbeler%20/English/16Mhz my GM328A clone it worked fine.

it looks like the firmware doesn't respond immediately to turn on the atmega when the ON button is pressed, whether my clone is bad?? or if someone has a GM328A please test the above firmware and provide a report, if it works well on your clone, then obviously the problem is in the my hardware GM328A bad.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 05:42:21 am by frank19 »

Offline Yuriy_K

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7279 on: November 20, 2021, 06:23:25 am »
it looks like the firmware doesn't respond immediately to turn on the atmega when the ON button is pressed, whether my clone is bad?? or if someone has a GM328A please test the above firmware and provide a report, if it works well on your clone, then obviously the problem is in the my hardware GM328A bad.
I do not know in what version the board of your GM328A, if, as in message 6916, then temporarily unsolder C8 10uF. Check how the tester turns on, if normal, then the reason is 7550 or S9012. About the selection of S9012 in detail at the beginning of page 278. I replaced 7550 with 7350, it works fine or look on the forum pages ...
When 5V is applied to Vcc, the "white screen" turns on, after 0.5 seconds the command to clear the screen passes and the messages are displayed as in the photo. There is no reaction to the button, since the low voltage protection is triggered. After 5 seconds, the tester turns off.

I have no testers with your display, this tester is built on ILI9341.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 06:29:15 am by Yuriy_K »

Offline frank19

• Contributor
« Reply #7280 on: November 20, 2021, 07:16:33 am »
I do not know in what version the board of your GM328A, if, as in message 6916, then temporarily unsolder C8 10uF. Check how the tester turns on, if normal, then the reason is 7550 or S9012. About the selection of S9012 in detail at the beginning of page 278. I replaced 7550 with 7350, it works fine or look on the forum pages ...
When 5V is applied to Vcc, the "white screen" turns on, after 0.5 seconds the command to clear the screen passes and the messages are displayed as in the photo. There is no reaction to the button, since the low voltage protection is triggered. After 5 seconds, the tester turns off.

I have no testers with your display, this tester is built on ILI9341.

I have removed C8 the value of 10uF, and then tried again the result is still the same, I use smd 9012 with code 2T1 and use LDO HT7550, I don't think this is a problem Battery wire up to LDO 5V, because it's true what you said should be VCC with external 5V (without LDO ) then the clone tester should flash and turn on even though the 4V and EMPTY! battery logo appears but on firmware M and your latest color firmware, it doesn't show anything, only "white screen" waits more than 5 seconds even more than 1 minute the screen stays "white screen" different from firmware K uploaded on yandex disk for GM328A and your color firmware on page 277 all works fine (no bug here). so my clone is normal with firmware K and your color firmware is on page 277, but my clone GM328A has an error (white screen) with firmware M and your new color firmware is page 291. it should be without battery, clone I should display a 4V EMPTY! screen the same as the clone you are using.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 07:18:16 am by frank19 »

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7281 on: November 20, 2021, 07:46:56 am »
frank19,Show good quality pictures of your clone from 2 sides. You should always do this when asking questions about the circuitry.

Offline frank19

• Contributor
« Reply #7282 on: November 20, 2021, 08:03:31 am »
frank19,Show good quality pictures of your clone from 2 sides. You should always do this when asking questions about the circuitry.

GM328A

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7283 on: November 20, 2021, 08:15:39 am »
Take 1 more photo with the display removed

Offline frank19

• Contributor
« Reply #7284 on: November 20, 2021, 08:30:15 am »
Take 1 more photo with the display removed

like your post on #6916
crystal changed to 16MHz

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7285 on: November 20, 2021, 08:54:38 am »
Try firmware 1.41Mod from this archive https://disk.yandex.ru/d/yW8xa5NJgUo5z/M328Kit%2BTFT/Firmware/Markus%20Reschke/English/16MHz. Before you fill in the firmware do a complete cleaning of the whole chip and set fuses H-D9 L-F7 Ext-FD(05) correctly!

Offline frank19

• Contributor
« Reply #7286 on: November 20, 2021, 09:24:56 am »
Try firmware 1.41Mod from this archive https://disk.yandex.ru/d/yW8xa5NJgUo5z/M328Kit%2BTFT/Firmware/Markus%20Reschke/English/16MHz. Before you fill in the firmware do a complete cleaning of the whole chip and set fuses H-D9 L-F7 Ext-FD(05) correctly!

Hi indman
thanks this is very useful information, i have wiped clean all firmware then reset fuse, and now my clone is working with new firmware Yuriy_K

I understand the situation, I will try to recreate the old library and make you firmware, but this may take several days. Karl-Heinz made a lot of changes and I adjusted my sources to his changes without keeping my old sources. Wait.

Hi Yuriy_K
thanks, your firmware is working fine now. I don't understand if I have to delete everything and set the fuse for your new firmware.

Offline Yuriy_K

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7287 on: November 20, 2021, 10:00:35 am »

thanks, your firmware is working fine now. I don't understand if I have to delete everything and set the fuse for your new firmware.
If the new firmware has worked, then leave it, the latest changes by Karl-Heinz are implemented in it. This state is prepared for new changes in firmware version "k". And I don't need to roll back to the previous state. All the best to you.

Online madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #7288 on: November 25, 2021, 11:49:06 am »
I've ordered a pair of MAX6675 and MAX31855 modules/PCBs (thermocouple converters), but they will arrive end of January. If someone likes to sponsor modules/PCBs with a faster delivery time please let me know.

Edit: I've added support for MAX6675 and MAX31855 to the firmware but can't test them as I don't have the modules yet. If you have a MAX6675 or MAX31855 module/PCB and like to beta-test please drop me an email. MAX31855 has a Vcc of 3.3V a needs level shifters.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 03:39:11 pm by madires »

The following users thanked this post: morgan_flint

Offline frank19

• Contributor
« Reply #7289 on: November 27, 2021, 10:11:54 am »
I've ordered a pair of MAX6675 and MAX31855 modules/PCBs (thermocouple converters), but they will arrive end of January. If someone likes to sponsor modules/PCBs with a faster delivery time please let me know.

Edit: I've added support for MAX6675 and MAX31855 to the firmware but can't test them as I don't have the modules yet. If you have a MAX6675 or MAX31855 module/PCB and like to beta-test please drop me an email. MAX31855 has a Vcc of 3.3V a needs level shifters.

Hi madires
does it mean that the transistor tester can measure temperature by adding a MAX6675 module?

Offline SeamlessPurse

« Reply #7290 on: November 27, 2021, 11:03:26 am »
Which tester is preferred? There is many types on Ali. Eh, T4, 328a, 328b, 328p
 Some with signal generator etc.

Online madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7291 on: November 27, 2021, 11:45:06 am »
does it mean that the transistor tester can measure temperature by adding a MAX6675 module?

Yep, the next m-firmware version will support that. You need an SPI bus with MISO and an unused pin for the MAX6675's /CS. This is meant for ATmega324/644/1284 based testers (the 328 doesn't have enough pins).

Edit: Other temperature sensors already supported are DS18B20 and the DHTxx family which are connected via the standard probes.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 12:33:01 pm by madires »

The following users thanked this post: morgan_flint

Online madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7292 on: November 27, 2021, 11:53:09 am »
Which tester is preferred? There is many types on Ali. Eh, T4, 328a, 328b, 328p
 Some with signal generator etc.

Please see https://github.com/madires/Transistortester-Warehouse/blob/master/Documentation/English/Clone-Comparison-Chart.pdf for a list of common tester clones. Basically all testers with an ATmega328 or better support the PWM and square wave generator features (needs to be activated in the firmware). 

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #7293 on: November 27, 2021, 10:55:16 pm »
Great list of clones! I got the GM328A (will arrive in a few weeks) and the store says it supports IR encoder, but the spreadsheet simply says "encoder". I suspect these are the same thing, right? 

Alas, if I had seen this I would probably have opted for the LCR-T7 with higher Zener voltages.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 12:16:23 am by rsjsouza »
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline ricktendo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7294 on: November 27, 2021, 11:10:44 pm »
I am getting a GM328A in a few weeks, can anybody tell me what "k" firmware is compatible with this board (is 'mega328_GM328' correct, I see some using "color" firmware)

Also is there a list of hardware mods, I saw a video where a 10K resistor connection was repaired and there is this post talking about downgrading a resistor under the LCD

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7295 on: November 28, 2021, 08:08:31 am »
Great list of clones! I got the GM328A (will arrive in a few weeks) and the store says it supports IR encoder, but the spreadsheet simply says "encoder". I suspect these are the same thing, right? 
The Encoder in the table means that this clone has this operating mode HW control(rotary encoder).
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 08:11:17 am by indman »

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Online madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7296 on: November 28, 2021, 12:18:16 pm »
I am getting a GM328A in a few weeks, can anybody tell me what "k" firmware is compatible with this board (is 'mega328_GM328' correct, I see some using "color" firmware)

That would be mega328_color_kit  (AY-AT/GM328A clones).

The following users thanked this post: ricktendo, dmulligan, DarthMalgus

Online madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7297 on: November 28, 2021, 12:55:53 pm »
Great list of clones! I got the GM328A (will arrive in a few weeks) and the store says it supports IR encoder

Some remarks about clones and IR RC. The clones' modified firmware supports just one or two IR protocols (mostly NEC). This is the first time I've seen that they also added a sender. The IR receiver module is usually connected via the probes. Only TC-1 and family come with a fixed IR receiver. The m-firmware can do both, i.e. probes or dedicated pin. And it supports up to 20 IR protocols in Rx mode and up to 15 in Tx mode. For sending IR you can connect an IR LED directly (low range) or use a simple circuit with a transistor to drive the IR LED with more current.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline Adrian_Arg.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7298 on: November 28, 2021, 09:39:23 pm »
Very silly question, is there any video of how to install this firmware?

Pregunta muy tonta, hay algun video de como instalan este firmware?

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #7299 on: November 28, 2021, 09:49:36 pm »
Great list of clones! I got the GM328A (will arrive in a few weeks) and the store says it supports IR encoder

Some remarks about clones and IR RC. The clones' modified firmware supports just one or two IR protocols (mostly NEC). This is the first time I've seen that they also added a sender. The IR receiver module is usually connected via the probes. Only TC-1 and family come with a fixed IR receiver. The m-firmware can do both, i.e. probes or dedicated pin. And it supports up to 20 IR protocols in Rx mode and up to 15 in Tx mode. For sending IR you can connect an IR LED directly (low range) or use a simple circuit with a transistor to drive the IR LED with more current.
madires, thank you for the clarification. I will put the encoder funcionality to run and report back my results when the unit arrives.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf