Author Topic: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project  (Read 3434649 times)

moimem and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline tom666

• Regular Contributor
    • Slovak discussion forum - AVR Component Tester (RLC/ESR & Semiconductors Tester)
Re: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project
« Reply #1225 on: September 13, 2015, 08:29:14 am »
just a question, the frequency counter function in firmware 1.12k supports analog signals or just digital?

I think that what is important is the sufficient level of the test signal. For best input sensitivity it is necessary to set the supplement as described in the manual (2.2.4 Frequency measurement).

Works firmware that I uploaded for you in the previous post?

Offline torchTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1226 on: September 13, 2015, 12:32:31 pm »
Does the transistor tester recognize this type of voltage regulator or is there something wrong with my tt's ?

I am far from qualified to say, but would think it very challenging to automatically detect and test a LM78xx voltage regulator within the scope of everything else this design does, without causing damage to components it already tests for. There are at least 3 challenges that I can think of off the top:

The 78xx series needs a supply voltage 2.5v higher than the regulated voltage, so in the case of the LM7812 pictured, it would have to apply 14.5 volts to the input. Not only does that have to come from the 9v battery, it can't cause damage to the low voltage devices this is designed to test.

The 78xx series come in a TO-220 case but are really more of a 3 terminal IC than a component. I don't know exactly what the transistor count is, but it's a busy little block diagram in the datasheet.

The 78xx series require a couple of external components to function properly. I think those would have to be switched into the circuit during the detection/test phase to properly test the output.

Of course, given all the challenges the designers have already overcome, I would never say "never"! But for the moment, maybe you are better to whip up a discrete test circuit of your own. Don't forget to add a heat sink to that thing if you draw more than 500mA while testing, or the thermal overload protection may shut it down, making it appear to fail the test.

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1227 on: September 13, 2015, 01:36:17 pm »
Hello, friends! I ask forgiveness for my English in advance. I use the translator. For determination of parameters of voltage reference diodes and power conditioners there is a finishing of the hardware of a tester. Here one of possible diagrams which is developed and checked by the participant of the forum Vrtp.ru dear Ocela.

Offline tom666

• Regular Contributor
    • Slovak discussion forum - AVR Component Tester (RLC/ESR & Semiconductors Tester)
« Reply #1228 on: September 13, 2015, 04:46:52 pm »
Hi,
some time ago I drew attention to this great kit:
http://www.banggood.com/DIY-M12864-Graphics-Version-Transistor-Tester-Kit-LCR-ESR-PWM-p-986954.html

This tester is supplied with an earlier revision of the software v1.12k by Karl-Heinz Kübbeler.

Is used the G-LCD display with the controller ST7565 (in the standart SPI mode).

For other owners of this great kit I offer in the attached file recent version 1.12k (revision 523). It also includes a modified file "Makefile" for this tester. I tested this firmware.

Setting of the fuses [ATmega328p]:
lfuse:0xf7 hfuse:0xd9 efuse:0x04 [0xfc]

Note:
For reduce power consumption I recommend to change the series resistor for the LED backlight G-LCD to 680 ohm (the original value is 220 ohm). A further reduction in consumption could be achieved by replacing the 7550-1 to the Low Drop LDO (eg MCP1702-5002).

Bye
Tomas

Offline yo0

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1229 on: September 14, 2015, 03:56:12 am »
just a question, the frequency counter function in firmware 1.12k supports analog signals or just digital?

I think that what is important is the sufficient level of the test signal. For best input sensitivity it is necessary to set the supplement as described in the manual (2.2.4 Frequency measurement).

Works firmware that I uploaded for you in the previous post?

thank you, no yet, i have no experience in programming microcontrollers, i am trying learn to use avrdude, unless you can please point me with the right instrucctions (commands) for backup the existing firmware and flash the new one you kindly provide to me, by the way already have an usbasp and installed already avrdude in linux and windows.

thank you in advance.

best regards

Pio
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 01:48:56 am by yo0 »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1230 on: September 14, 2015, 04:48:43 am »
Hello, friends! I ask forgiveness for my English in advance. I use the translator. For determination of parameters of voltage reference diodes and power conditioners there is a finishing of the hardware of a tester. Here one of possible diagrams which is developed and checked by the participant of the forum Vrtp.ru dear Ocela.

Is this a separate tester, just for regulators such as the LM78xx series? Or is it a new feature added to the transistor tester?

(Just wondering how wrong I was!  ;) )

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1231 on: September 14, 2015, 06:54:50 am »
Is this a separate tester, just for regulators such as the LM78xx series? Or is it a new feature added to the transistor tester?
(Just wondering how wrong I was!  ;) )
No, it not a separate tester. The basic firmware from Karl-Heinz Kübbeler with function of measurement of voltage reference diodes is used. Changes are made only in the tester hardware  :D

Offline tom666

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1232 on: September 14, 2015, 11:49:37 am »
i am trying learn to use avrdude, unless you can please point me with the right instrucctions (commands) for backup the exiting firmware and flash the new one you kindly provide to me, by the way already have an usbasp and installed already avrdude in linux and windows.

Commands for Windows

Writing Flash + EEPROM + Fuses:
avrdude -c usbasp -p m328p -B 0.5 -e -U flash:w:"TransistorTester.hex":a -U eeprom:w:"TransistorTester.eep":a -U lfuse:w:0xF7:m -U hfuse:w:0xD9:m -U efuse:w:0x04:m

Reading Flash + EEPROM:
avrdude -c usbasp -p m328p -B 0.5 -U flash:r:"TransistorTester_Backup.hex":i -U eeprom:r:"TransistorTester_Backup.eep":i

Another option is to use a GUI for AVRDUDE. I recommend AVRDUDESS.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1233 on: September 14, 2015, 12:26:02 pm »
No, it not a separate tester. The basic firmware from Karl-Heinz Kübbeler with function of measurement of voltage reference diodes is used. Changes are made only in the tester hardware  :D

Well then. I guess I was almost completely wrong. How extensive are the hardware changes? Is this fork being made available in the same way as the original Karl-Heinz transistor tester?

Offline quantalume

• Supporter
« Reply #1234 on: September 14, 2015, 04:25:22 pm »
Hi,
some time ago I drew attention to this great kit:
http://www.banggood.com/DIY-M12864-Graphics-Version-Transistor-Tester-Kit-LCR-ESR-PWM-p-986954.html

This tester is supplied with an earlier revision of the software v1.12k by Karl-Heinz Kübbeler.

Is used the G-LCD display with the controller ST7565 (in the standart SPI mode).

For other owners of this great kit I offer in the attached file recent version 1.12k (revision 523). It also includes a modified file "Makefile" for this tester. I tested this firmware.

Setting of the fuses [ATmega328p]:
lfuse:0xf7 hfuse:0xd9 efuse:0x04 [0xfc]

Note:
For reduce power consumption I recommend to change the series resistor for the LED backlight G-LCD to 680 ohm (the original value is 220 ohm). A further reduction in consumption could be achieved by replacing the 7550-1 to the Low Drop LDO (eg MCP1702-5002).

Bye
Tomas

It is indeed a great kit! Does one need to change the fuses from how they are supplied with the kit in order to run the new firmware?

Thanks for the suggestions for reducing power consumption. One could also increase the resistor value for the power LED as it's blinding in its current state.

Do you know of a case for this unit?  The case you linked to in the message where you introduced this kit (reply #1144, page 77) appears to be for a different design.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 04:27:31 pm by quantalume »

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1235 on: September 14, 2015, 04:39:24 pm »
How extensive are the hardware changes? Is this fork being made available in the same way as the original Karl-Heinz transistor tester?
Hi! Any tranzistortester it is simple to finish most. In the simplified look the converter DC-DC having on an output 35-40V for testing of voltage reference diodes and chips of stabilizators 78xx is necessary. The principle of such measurement explained Karl-Heinz Kübbeler in the instruction to the instrument on page 11. Maybe I badly explain? Excuse for my English. :)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 04:43:37 pm by indman »

Offline rddube

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1236 on: September 14, 2015, 05:12:17 pm »
Many thanks, gentlemen :-+ :clap:

Best regards
Tomas

Here they can be bought individually, but I think rather expensive? What do you think?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Transistor-Triode-Test-Socket-Ageing-Test-Socket-Ceramics-Body-TO92-TO220-TO3P-/311360707052

Tom666, why do you feel this is a much better connector than the zif socket? Should I change mine on my transistor tester? Tks

Offline klunkerbus

• Supporter
  • Electrical Engineer (retired early)
« Reply #1237 on: September 14, 2015, 05:52:28 pm »
rddube, the ZIF socket doesn't work out very well if you're installing the banggood tester with the 128x64 display into the plastic case that banggood offers for it.  (see http://www.banggood.com/Supporting-Shell-For-DIY-M12864-Graphics-Version-Transistor-Tester-Kit-p-989949.html ) That could be one reason. 

I just assembled my tester and case, and I think I'd prefer the ZIF socket.  I've already been struggling to insert thin leads into the 5-pin socket without bending them. The contact fingers also look extremely cheap, and I won't be surprised if the contacts loose their grip with use.  For packages like TO-220, the 5-pin socket probably works great. 

On the eBay part, the higher cost might make sense if it was truly a ceramic body, but the listing pictures don't convince me. 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 06:33:31 pm by klunkerbus »

Offline tom666

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1238 on: September 14, 2015, 07:00:16 pm »
Does one need to change the fuses from how they are supplied with the kit in order to run the new firmware?

In principle there is no need, but I recommend use a values of the software author.

One could also increase the resistor value for the power LED as it's blinding in its current state.

Not recommended, it can then be a problem with the auxiliary power circuits.

The case you linked to in the message where you introduced this kit (reply #1144, page 77) appears to be for a different design.

The case, to which I post link is definitely designed for this kit. Please, see you the pictures carefully to the seller's site. ZIF socket for this case will not be used.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #1239 on: September 14, 2015, 07:06:05 pm »
The case you linked to in the message where you introduced this kit (reply #1144, page 77) appears to be for a different design.

The case, to which I post link is definitely designed for this kit. Please, see you the pictures carefully to the seller's site. ZIF socket for this case will not be used.

Exactly.

Quantalume, if you're going to use that case, don't install the ZIF socket on the PCB. Instead, use the socket that is supplied with the case. (i.e., It's not like cases for the other tester kits where the ZIF socket passes through an opening.)
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline tom666

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1240 on: September 14, 2015, 07:14:19 pm »
Tom666, why do you feel this is a much better connector than the zif socket? Should I change mine on my transistor tester?

In terms of design could be easier mounting on the case compared to ZIF socket. But I have some doubts about the quality of this connector.

Offline quantalume

• Supporter
« Reply #1241 on: September 14, 2015, 07:28:23 pm »
Exactly.

Quantalume, if you're going to use that case, don't install the ZIF socket on the PCB. Instead, use the socket that is supplied with the case. (i.e., It's not like cases for the other tester kits where the ZIF socket passes through an opening.)

OK, I see how it works now. Too bad I already soldered the ZIF socket.  |O  Nothing a solder sucker can't fix I suppose.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1242 on: September 14, 2015, 08:22:18 pm »
OK, I see how it works now. Too bad I already soldered the ZIF socket.  |O  Nothing a solder sucker can't fix I suppose.

Yep. All part of the DIY fun.  :D

Offline quantalume

• Supporter
« Reply #1243 on: September 15, 2015, 02:54:44 pm »
Tom666, why do you feel this is a much better connector than the zif socket? Should I change mine on my transistor tester?

In terms of design could be easier mounting on the case compared to ZIF socket. But I have some doubts about the quality of this connector.

Could one cut the case to allow the ZIF socket to be used instead? I also see that there are only two binding posts. Could a third post be squeezed in and still leave room for the battery?

Offline giovannirat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1244 on: September 15, 2015, 07:33:49 pm »
As soon as i will get the case i try to cut it for the ZIF socket.

Thank you tom666 for providing the actual software. Works great.

Offline eas

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Obsessed
« Reply #1245 on: September 16, 2015, 01:03:14 am »

Could one cut the case to allow the ZIF socket to be used instead? I also see that there are only two binding posts. Could a third post be squeezed in and still leave room for the battery?

I plan to investigate the same questions when mine arrives this week.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1246 on: September 16, 2015, 01:44:38 am »
I plan to investigate the same questions when mine arrives this week.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's case mods. I ordered one of the testers with the encoder, but not the case (yet).

Offline tom666

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1247 on: September 16, 2015, 06:58:55 am »
As soon as i will get the case i try to cut it for the ZIF socket.

Very elegant solution :-+ :clap:
Thank you for the inspiration.

Online madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #1248 on: September 17, 2015, 07:02:26 pm »
Just a quick update on the m-firmware. Currently I'm working on a driver for ILI8341/ILI8342 based colour LCD modules and larger fonts. I'll also try to add the fancy pinout in the next version.

Offline papabol_24

• Contributor
« Reply #1249 on: September 18, 2015, 04:24:17 pm »
Hello,

I need help guys in figuring out whats wrong, i have one of these LCR ESR Transistor checker with case, very handy gadget, till one day i accidentaly dropped it, screen cracked so i looked for a replacement 12864 lcd module, bought a bigger size lcd bec i cant find exact size, and when i hooked it up to the characters are inverted, photos attached, thanks in advance...

LCD module link
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/JLX12864G-378B-PC-12864-lattice-COG-type-serial-and-optionally-3-3v-5V-optional/32278219453.html

Transistor Tester link
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Multi-functional-LCD-Display-Digital-ESR-Meter-Transistor-Tester-Diode-Thyristor-Capacitance-LCR-Tester-Grey-Plastic/32423335203.html?spm=2114.01020208.8.78.y2luTw

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf