Author Topic: $475 in funds  (Read 18412 times)

Offline Daniel_ReyesTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
$475 in funds
« on: September 08, 2015, 11:59:39 pm »
My wife just cleared me to buy $475 worth of test equipment in a month and a half. I am an electronics technician with an associates degree and have decided to go back to school to school to get my bachelors in EE. I currently have a 0-3A 0-32vdc linear power supply, a 200khz bandwidth dso scope. A variable soldering iron, hot air rework station, a 25mhz cheap sig gen and a 3d printer and a cheap multi meter. I am currently in math classes online so I have not been able to build much with my gear lately but i fully expect to put it to good use when i start attending a brick and mortar school full time next year.

My main question is how to get the most value for my money and most capability. I was originally planning on getting a rigol ds1054z but when i was looking at the fully populated display, i realized i have a long way to go before id use all those features. I frequently look to ebay and see old but good scopes for less that may meet my needs. The question is how to best spend this money.

-Dan

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
Re: $475 in funds
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 12:20:35 am »
The question is how to best spend this money.

$475 in parts to build and experiment with. You'll have a lot more fun with that.

Offline fivefish

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 12:28:43 am »
Agree with Brad!

Also consider Arduino and related boards... you get to learn microprocessor programming, and integrate some electronics know how too.

Buy some kits to assemble!

Filling shelves and shelves with new test equipment doesn't make you learn electronics.

Offline lowimpedance

• Super Contributor
  • Watts in an ohm?
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 12:29:31 am »
 A prototyping board and the parts you find you actually need on the way while doing the degree, as time passes you may need to revise your DSO requirements (perhaps a really cheap ebay ds1052 etc might turn up!), but the rest of the gear you have should be fine for the start, maybe another cheap DMM unless you start doing power electronics then maybe not to a cheap meter 'quality wise'. So basically wait and see what the course really needs.
The odd multimeter or 2 or 3 or 4...or........can't remember !.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 12:30:08 am »
Understood.  I do have an arduino i forgot to mention and a good supply of throughhole parts. Sorry i forgot to mention that. And i have put together about 4 kits this year that i really enjoyed.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 12:31:33 am »
Edited double post.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 12:34:25 am by Daniel_Reyes »

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 12:37:18 am »
Also agreeing with Brad. If you are going to a brick and mortar they will have all the equipment you will need to complete your classes. Of course you don't get to take it home with you, but if you really want some equipment to experiment on your own I would at least wait until you have completed some of your classes to maybe give you a better idea of what equipment you really want.

In my time at college going for an EE the only piece of equipment I bought because I needed was a cheap $60 PSU, and thats only because I over engineered a finals project my junior year. That and the school was reimbursing us up to $100 dollars for the parts we bought for the project and I had plenty left over. I honestly was expecting them to reject the PSU expenditure but I guess they didn't really look at the receipts.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 12:39:41 am »
Understood.  I will do as you all say.  I appreciate the advice!

Offline DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 12:47:30 am »
I'm surprised no one mentioned it so here it is:
http://artofelectronics.net/
Best $100 you'll ever spend and save the rest for later.

Yeah...there is plenty of free stuff on the internet, but there is a lot of crap too.

I'd rather see this on someone's shelf instead of an overpriced canary looking volmeter.

If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 12:50:52 am »
I'm surprised no one mentioned it so here it is:
http://artofelectronics.net/
Best $100 you'll ever spend and save the rest for later.

Yeah...there is plenty of free stuff on the internet, but there is a lot of crap too.

I'd rather see this on someone's shelf instead of an overpriced canary looking volmeter.
It's on my wishlist. Good up vote! I will take another look at getting it. Will i be able to understand it? Or is it overly technical?

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2015, 02:10:52 am »
In regards to reading material do not forget

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/electronics-primers-course-material-and-books/

and

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/multimeter-spreadsheet/

I like meters that use AA batteries

In your budget maybe a Wavetek (I cannot see your country writing this) used function generator and a discounted 1054

YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline 5ky

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2015, 02:27:54 am »
A second multimeter is nice to have so you can measure current and voltage at the same time.  Other than that, I think you have a good list of gear and could benefit most from using the money to pick up parts to play around with.

Offline lgbeno

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2015, 02:31:58 am »
So do you think that you are most interested in analog electronics or micro-controller stuff?  Think about your first project first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2015, 02:36:28 am »
I like both equally at the moment. I support analog uhf and vhf radios at my current job so i have respect for both sides.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2015, 03:48:47 am »
I think I would consider this:
http://www.digilentinc.com/Products/Detail.cfm?NavPath=2,842,1018&Prod=ANALOG-DISCOVERY
get the BNC adapter board and have a look at the other options.

If you can get it at the student price, that leaves lots left over. A cheap multimeter is OK, but it is much better to have another to do sanity checks. I can suggest a number: Amprobe AM270, Amprobe AM530 or one of the other in the line, Uni-T UT139C, Brymen BM257s, etc.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2015, 03:58:27 am »
You didn't say which brick and mortar place you are going.  In many, perhaps most, you will be so busy doing theory that you will have little time for your home lab.  That said, it is good to have this, and keep doing stuff there to remind yourself why you are in school.  What it is you love besides the big paycheck you are hoping for at the end.

It appears to me that you have more than enough already to keep yourself entertained in those rare free moments.  University, maintaining a relationship with your spouse and possibly even trying to bring in a little income all at once is quite a bit for most folks to keep up with.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2015, 04:03:45 am »
I think I would consider this:
http://www.digilentinc.com/Products/Detail.cfm?NavPath=2,842,1018&Prod=ANALOG-DISCOVERY
get the BNC adapter board and have a look at the other options.

Yep,   Double :-+ :-+ for the Analog discovery, BNC adapter board and a couple of cheap eBay probes- especially at the student price.

Offline eas

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Obsessed
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2015, 05:12:05 am »
Did the student price on the analog discovery go up recently? I had it in my head that it was $99.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2015, 06:16:18 am »
Did the student price on the analog discovery go up recently? I had it in my head that it was $99.

Yeah it was $99. There used to be 3 prices - regular, academic, and student. Looks like the student price is gone. $159 is still a bargain IMO though..

I wonder if this changes has to do with Digilent being bought by NI?

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2015, 08:00:39 am »

Yeah it was $99. There used to be 3 prices - regular, academic, and student. Looks like the student price is gone. $159 is still a bargain IMO though..

I wonder if this changes has to do with Digilent being bought by NI?

Probably. The new discovery2 NI version will most likely have the same pattern. 199 normal and ?? educational. (before vat)

To the OP: maybe you can find a used 1054z even, I think it will be hard to beat its value for money.

Did you do this month's "trigger challenge" ?(Google it, Keysight promo every month until summer(?) 2016)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 08:03:25 am by Neganur »

Offline mos6502

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2015, 10:53:41 am »
DS1054Z + DE 5000 LCR meter + $10 Saleae clone logic analyzer. Plus maybe, if you have some cash left over, a UT139C.
for(;;);

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2015, 11:11:59 am »
DS1054Z + DE 5000 LCR meter + $10 Saleae clone logic analyzer. Plus maybe, if you have some cash left over, a UT139C.
Would a "bus pirate" be a suitable substitute for the saleae clone logic analyzer?

Offline Chris C

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2015, 11:27:51 am »
Would a "bus pirate" be a suitable substitute for the saleae clone logic analyzer?

Haven't used the Bus Pirate yet, but I understand it's primarily for sending and receiving data in various serial protocols.  Not really intended for capturing multiple, arbitrary digital signals.  The creator of the Bus Pirate also has a separate logic analyzer design, if that's any indication.

The nice thing about the Saleae is not only that it captures signals, but has software intelligent enough to decode common protocols.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2015, 11:31:14 am »

They're not really the same beast. Bus Pirate is more of a communications device - use it to communicate with things + control them.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2015, 11:36:12 am »
Sounds good. I will definitely get the logic analyzer then.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf