Author Topic: $5000 Electronics Lab Challenge  (Read 34682 times)

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
Re: $5000 Electronics Lab Challenge
« Reply #100 on: November 10, 2015, 08:29:40 am »

FYI the first piece of equipment I turn on in the morning, and the last thing I turn off at night, is the espresso machine.

... unless placing 0201s ... but then there's an exception to every rule.

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #101 on: November 10, 2015, 08:37:32 am »

FYI the first piece of equipment I turn on in the morning, and the last thing I turn off at night, is the espresso machine.

You just need to add enough Baileys or Kahlua to even out the caffeine :)

Offline D3f1ant

• Frequent Contributor
  • Doing as little as possible, but no less.
« Reply #102 on: November 10, 2015, 08:39:30 am »

I have single malt for those jobs.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103 on: November 10, 2015, 08:58:22 am »
I did try that once, well, to see how much I could drink alcohol-wise before I was a worthless lump when placing parts, on even a small run it's a boring task doing this by hand, at least you should be able to enjoy yourself, right? One glass of wine didn't make any noticeable difference. Two, and I might as well sit on the sofa and watch the TV instead, the difference in dexterity and concentration was startling. It was an experiment not worth repeating.

Offline MikeW

• Regular Contributor
  • Self confessed noob
« Reply #104 on: November 10, 2015, 09:04:53 am »
This thread brings to mind the phrase 'All the gear, no idea,'

Offline 6581

• Supporter
« Reply #105 on: November 10, 2015, 09:16:38 am »

I have single malt for those jobs.

This topic is for $5000 lab. Which single malt would you recommend for this budget? My lab is in the $200 category and I'll have to manage with Lagavulin. Sure, it cuts into the DMM/DSO budget, but you can't realistically think working with empty Glencairn.

(I lied a bit about my lab, I've 87V + DS1054Z + FX888D and I think it's a great starting point for a beginners lab.)

Offline alexanderbrevig

• Frequent Contributor
  • Musician, developer and EE hobbyist
    • alexanderbrevig.com
« Reply #106 on: November 10, 2015, 01:39:05 pm »
I just built my lab (some of you may have seen the thread) and in total it ended up close to that amount. Though, at least $1000 of that was to build the actual lab desks and static matting and things you may have already. There is a thread on it here, though some changes were made to the list on the first image. Furthermore I spent around $500 on the first project (my take on the word clock project, with 28x28cm PCB and laser cut aluminium front plate). I think including a first project to get the lab set up is a good thing to do.

If I did not have to spend money on desk and anti static matting etc I would've gotten a spectrum analyzer for that last $1k, and in retrospect I'd go for a MSO. Having the LA on the same unit as Osc makes so much sense. I get by with the separate one but it's those small things you learn along the way I guess...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf