Author Topic: (cheap) LCD microscope VS (cheap) Optical stereo microscope  (Read 2361 times)

Offline BillGeoTopic starter

• Contributor
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1000X-USB-4-3-HD-5MP-LCD-Digital-Microscope-Video-Magnifying-Camera-w-LED-light/392088374885

VS

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AOMEKIE-20X-Stereo-Microscope-Binocular-Top-LED-for-PCB-Solder-Phone-Repair-Tool/202618264311

Almost the same price.
Given that one does not care about recording my soldering, which one would you suggest. and why?
(or should I hook up an M$ HD web-cam to an old R-Pi and 14" LCD??? ;-) )

:-+

« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 03:15:01 pm by BillGeo »

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
Re: (cheap) LCD microscope VS (cheap) Optical stereo microscope
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 03:41:07 pm »
I recently went through the same questions myself.
In the end I opted for a used Motic 20x stereo microscope on an arm, it was in your price range. I have not used it yet because it's lacking the stand and post besides I don't really have a dedicated workspace right now.

I opted for that solution because I prefer good quality used equipment over recent "cheap build" for the same price.
Stereo should be a big advantage when you're not looking directly at the PCB you're working on.
20x should be more than enough for SMD rework.
The video solutions looked too much like cheap far-east junk for the price.

An important point to consider in either case is the focal length, you need to be able to get a tool or two between the PCB and lens.

For a stereo microscope consider a model on an articulated arm, with the one in your link you'll be limited by the distance between the lens and the back of the support only allowing small PCB's to fit under.

Video microscope has an advantage for YouTube or for documenting your work.

There are some stereo models on an arm and with a video camera option (and maybe variable zoom), they are usually costly even second hand.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 01:18:34 am »
This is my Frankenscope.   Some parts I custom made for it.   I've thought about adding a vertical mic to measure depth.  I will use it to measure parts from time to time.   

The IC is an old Microchip 16C711.  Camera is one of those cheap Amscopes.   

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 02:55:38 am »
Enhance!

Wonder if a polarizer on the light and on the objective lens would do much for the shininess of parts of the die.

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 03:46:00 pm »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1000X-USB-4-3-HD-5MP-LCD-Digital-Microscope-Video-Magnifying-Camera-w-LED-light/392088374885

VS

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AOMEKIE-20X-Stereo-Microscope-Binocular-Top-LED-for-PCB-Solder-Phone-Repair-Tool/202618264311

Almost the same price.
Given that one does not care about recording my soldering, which one would you suggest. and why?
(or should I hook up an M$ HD web-cam to an old R-Pi and 14" LCD??? ;-) )

:-+

Without 3D vision, you are more likely to be soldering your fingers than what you should be soldering.

Two lenses win every time!
  Lord of Sealand

Offline luma

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 05:24:57 pm »
The first thing I'd ask is what's the expected use case?  Are you looking to use the scope while soldering, or is this for inspection of a board after it has been soldered?  For inspection you can probably get away with a USB-connected solution.  If you're going to be using this while soldering, you for sure want an optical instrument as even a small latency from a digital solution can be problematic, and you'd be far better off with a stereo solution as depth perception is hugely beneficial when working with small devices. 

As others have noted you'll also want a pretty long focus distance so you have room for your hands and tools.

The bog-standard Chinese solution is the SZM series from a Chinese company called Ningbo Sunny Instruments Co, and is resold by Amscope and others under various names.  For soldering and inspection use you won't be working at crazy-high magnification so I don't feel that having the finest Swiss optics is that much of a requirement, and thus the low-cost Chinese instruments will probably be fine for electronics hobbyist purposes and have the additional advantage of being very widely available with loads of options for things like cameras and stage lighting and barlow lenses or whatever else.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 06:27:31 pm »
If soldering is part of the plan, I wouldn't buy either.  The first doesn't have enough clearance and the second has a weird stage that doesn't seem to be compatible with PCB work.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf