Author Topic: (FIXED) Extech EX430: Paperweight Mode  (Read 3479 times)

Offline potatogun96Topic starter

• Contributor
(FIXED) Extech EX430: Paperweight Mode
« on: April 27, 2013, 12:56:29 am »
About a month ago, I purchased an EX430 from Amazon. The price was only $60. What a deal! A week later, the meter arrived. I opened the box from amazon, and the EX430 box was already open. This should have set off some alarms in my head, but the meter did not seem to be damaged and was functioning. I use the word functioning because it seemed a little off.
I was testing it against a couple $5 meters, and the cheap meters were measuring about the same. The EX430 though, was off by about a volt or two on the voltage ranges. I didn't think much of it. It is very possible that the cheap meters were off by the same amount. This was the first "Higher End" multimeter that I had used. As soon as I checked temperature, I realized something was wrong. In a 70 degree room, the meter would read anywhere from 40 to 110. This problem was intermittent, along with a few other problems similar to it.
Fast forward a month... I was working on building a linear power supply using some parts I received. I was measuring the output of the transformer with the meter on AC auto mode. All of a sudden, the meter died.  :-BROKE When I say died, I mean just died. That was it. It would not do anything. I checked the battery, fuses, and looked over the boards. I saw zero problems. I am thinking there was a problem with the main processor when I got it, and it just finally died.
So, I emailed Extech on a Sunday night at 11:30 (Late night inventing, as I always do). The next morning at 10:00 AM, I got an email back. They said that they would send me a new meter, free of charge. A couple emails later, the new meter was shipped to me. It arrived today, Friday of the same week. It arrived free of defects, and is working wonderful.
 It is a 100% improvement from the old one. I am thinking I am one of the unlucky people who received a faulty meter. Lucky for me, Extech was awesome and fixed everything for me. So, in conclusion, Extech is nowhere near the quality of a Fluke, but the customer service I received was second to none. So even after my fist Extech meter being a complete piece of garbage, I will buy meters in the future from them. For the price, the products and service they provide is wonderful. I give them a thumbs up! :-+

« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 01:52:34 am by potatogun96 »

Offline TerminalJack505

• Super Contributor
Re: (FIXED) Extech EX430: Paperweight Mode
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 01:24:52 am »
Considering I have the same meter I'm glad to hear that you had a good experience with Extech.

My only complaint about the meter is that it takes forever to settle when using auto-range.  3 or 4 seconds, anyway.  Which seems pretty slow.

Offline SLJ

• Frequent Contributor
  • Antique Test Equipment Collector
    • Steve's Antique Technology
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 01:34:08 am »
Last fall I purchased a soldering station from Amazon and it had been opened.  Made them send a new unopened one and a call tag for the first one they sent me.

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 01:36:24 am »
Sorry, can't read walls of text.

There's an invention called Enter:

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 01:55:10 am »
My only complaint about the meter is that it takes forever to settle when using auto-range.  3 or 4 seconds, anyway.  Which seems pretty slow.

Yeah, that is my main complaint with it as well. It is the worst when measuring small values, like mV or less than 1k ohm. If I more or less know what to expect, I manual range it whenever I can.

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 01:57:30 am »
Last fall I purchased a soldering station from Amazon and it had been opened.  Made them send a new unopened one and a call tag for the first one they sent me.

The box that the meter comes in is not heat sealed or anything. It simply opens up when you pull the two sections apart. I figured mine was not closed all the way, or may have been dropped. The meter seemed to be working, so I wasn't concerned at the time. I was going to return the meter when things got really bad, but of course, the window to return it ended the day prior.

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 01:58:07 am »
Sorry, can't read walls of text.

There's an invention called Enter:

Fixed that for you.

Thanks for letting me know.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 07:22:55 am »
When I had an EX430, I found the same thing with autoranging.  In addition, it overshoots a lot.  For example, a simple 9V battery would read 17.xx, 9.05, 9.04 and finally 9.03 (correct value) in the 3 to 4 second time frame.

Offline NH-GrizzlyBear

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 05:30:48 am »

Yeah, that is my main complaint with it as well. It is the worst when measuring small values, like mV or less than 1k ohm. If I more or less know what to expect, I manual range it whenever I can.

Is there a tear-down or a way to speed it up?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf