Author Topic: [Wanted] function generator and laboratory power supply  (Read 1331 times)

Offline fxrTopic starter

• Contributor
[Wanted] function generator and laboratory power supply
« on: December 10, 2019, 11:15:58 pm »
Hello everyone!
I want to ask experienced people for advice about equipping for home lab.
The main specialization of my projects is hardware design of digital audio devices.
I need advice for acquiring a function generator and laboratory power supply.
For this money I can buy Rigol DG4102 and Rigol DP832.
For my opinion, this best price-quality ratio.
How you thinks about my choice?

Any advice and opinions...

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: [Wanted] function generator and laboratory power supply
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 11:09:32 am »
Recent PSU thread which paints a complete picture:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/spd3303x-e-vs-dp832/

A Siglent SDG2000 series seems like a safer bet to me for buying a function generator. Lots of people have these and (more importantly) the firmware seems to be mature.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 11:11:09 am by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 02:49:53 pm »
I own the DG4062 and DG1022Z signal generators, which have been upgraded to DG4302 and DG1062Z; very easy to do and all the info is on this forum. If your eyes are good and 60 MHz (after upgrade) is enough for your needs, the DG1022Z is only $340 (from tequipment.net after their 6% EEVblog discount) and the user interface is almost identical to the DG4XXX series other than the smaller screen, sync outputs on the back, and counter input on the front.

I also own the DP832 power supply that's been persuaded to think it's a DP832A using a magic USB stick and one SCPI command - again all the info is in these forums.  It's a great power supply for the money, especially after the upgrade.

I have had bad experiences with Siglent quality and support (others may have different experiences to share) - my SPD3303X-E power supply is in the FSW section of this website.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 02:52:27 pm by Gandalf_Sr »
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 05:05:25 pm »
I have had bad experiences with Siglent quality and support (others may have different experiences to share)
That is one of the downsides of buying early production models from Rigol and Siglent. Support (as in taking equipment with flaws in the hardware back for repair) is non-existent. At the price point the equipment is sold it is impossible to provide decent service. Look at how much more expensive Siglent products are when you buy them from Lecroy.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline colorado.rob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 05:52:11 pm »
I do similar work.  The Rigol PS should be fine but get the Siglent SDG2000X and uphack it.  The latest firmware from Siglent has addressed all the issues I had with the device.  The 40MHz model is relatively inexpensive and easy for a hobbyist to uphack to 120MHz.

Offline JxR

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 06:12:23 pm »
Save some money and get the Siglent SDG2042X IMHO.  Also consider the GW-Instek GPP-4323 instead of the Rigol DP832.  For a little more, you get a 4ch supply that can also be used as an electronic load, which is extremely useful for projects.

If your just getting started, you can't forget to also budget for all the necessary test leads, interconnects, etc. you will inevitably need. The money you save on the AWG, will help with that.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2019, 07:04:59 pm »
Save some money and get the Siglent SDG2042X IMHO.  Also consider the GW-Instek GPP-4323 instead of the Rigol DP832.  For a little more, you get a 4ch supply that can also be used as an electronic load, which is extremely useful for projects.
I second the suggestion for the GPP-4323. It has very few compromises.

Offline fxrTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2019, 02:51:29 pm »
Thank you guys for your help in choosing the equipment.
I read a lot of posts about GPP-4323 and SDG2042C.
It seems like it's really the best choice!

Cheers!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf