Author Topic: Picoscope 2207B rapid trigger mode  (Read 1623 times)

Offline mmm22Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Picoscope 2207B rapid trigger mode
« on: July 18, 2020, 09:47:31 pm »
I am trying to use rapid trigger (segmented memory) mode with Picoscope 2207B, and having a problem that only the first waveform in the block is updated upon restarting the data acquisition.
I have this problem with both Picoscope 6 software and the SDK. I tried to ask the question on the forum (https://www.picotech.com/support/topic40642.html ) as well as to contact the Picotech support, but cannot get any solution for over 2 weeks already.
Hope I am not the first to encounter this problem and a solution exists)

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
Re: Picoscope 2207B rapid trigger mode
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2020, 12:38:23 am »
What steps are you taking in Picoscope to set it up?

Offline Andreas

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2020, 05:50:18 am »
Hello,

I tried the rapid trigger with 10000 buffers on my PS5444A and the internal Signal generator under Win 10.
First shot: all buffers (at least the first 2 and the last 2)  filled with 1 MHz.
2nd shot: all buffers (at least the first 2 and the last 2) filled with 2 MHz.

So it seems to be a problem with either PS2207B related (driver) or your settings or your hardware setup (computer, operating system).

Did you try already a different USB-Port or computer?
At work I had on one computer a weird channel mirroring problem on a PS4xxx which was visible on one USB port only.

I tried to ask the question on the forum  as well as to contact the Picotech support, but cannot get any solution for over 2 weeks already.
I would not complain: For a problem with a different scope (20 kEur) from a High End manufacturer I had to wait 2 years for a problem solution. In your case the problem seems to be a bit harder to reproduce.

with best regards

Andreas
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 06:00:08 am by Andreas »

The following users thanked this post: mmm22

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2020, 07:56:51 am »
What steps are you taking in Picoscope to set it up?
I set the appropriate trigger level, the trigger mode to Rapid, the Rapid Captures to 1000, Number of Samples to 100, click Go (start capturing). The next time I click Go, only the first waveform is updated.
I uploaded the resulting files.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2020, 08:43:28 am »
Hello,

I tried the rapid trigger with 10000 buffers on my PS5444A and the internal Signal generator under Win 10.
First shot: all buffers (at least the first 2 and the last 2)  filled with 1 MHz.
2nd shot: all buffers (at least the first 2 and the last 2) filled with 2 MHz.

So it seems to be a problem with either PS2207B related (driver) or your settings or your hardware setup (computer, operating system).

Did you try already a different USB-Port or computer?
At work I had on one computer a weird channel mirroring problem on a PS4xxx which was visible on one USB port only.
I repeated your experiment with signals of different frequencies from internal generator, but still have the same problem.
Also tried to change the USB ports and computers, to no avail.
Do you use the latest (6.14.10.4759) version of Picoscope 6?
I would not complain: For a problem with a different scope (20 kEur) from a High End manufacturer I had to wait 2 years for a problem solution. In your case the problem seems to be a bit harder to reproduce.
That is possible, and might even be reasonable. The problem is that they stopped responding completely, so I am not even sure if they gave it up or just having some problems. Also, I sent this question to Picoscope 6 forum (since originally I sent it to the SDK section), and that was not even published without any explanation.

Offline Andreas

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2020, 09:42:57 am »
Hello,

Yes, so only the model and device driver are different.

That is possible, and might even be reasonable. The problem is that they stopped responding completely, so I am not even sure if they gave it up or just having some problems.

Your example is not very clear (for me) since the waveforms look all one like the other. You have to export to .csv or something like that to see that it is really exactly the same in the 2nd buffer.

The support is 2 staged: the first stage is someone who can read you from the documentation and try to help you with the operation of the scope. The 2nd stage is if the problem is clear and a technician analyses. Usually you get a ticket number in this case. So you have to convince the first level support that there is really a problem.

If you have a ticket number the problem is normally fixed with the next release. In one case (at work) I got a modified driver in advance for testing.

with best regards

Andreas

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2020, 11:06:38 am »

Yes, so only the model and device driver are different.
Actually it appears the latest Picoscope version now is 6.14.23.5207. I updated my software, but still the same problem.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2020, 09:51:09 pm »
I'm a bit confused by your problem.
I tried opening both files you uploaded and both files contain properly captured 1000 segments inside..
Are you saying that second time it captured only 1st segment and that other 999 stayed from previous capture ?

Regards,

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2020, 09:56:51 pm »
I tried opening both files you uploaded and both files contain properly captured 1000 segments inside..
Are you saying that second time it captured only 1st segment and that other 999 stayed from previous capture ?

Regards,
Right.
Both files do contain 1000 waveforms, but 999 of them are the same (not updated).

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2020, 10:15:41 pm »

Regards,
Right.
Both files do contain 1000 waveforms, but 999 of them are the same (not updated).

What I see is that 1000 segments in every file are different. Didn't compare two files.

To really verify this you should use signal that changes over time to make differences obvious. This way it is hard to see.
Than you take one capture, go to 10th segment, grab that to reference trace, capture next group of 1000 and go to 10th frame in that one and compare with reference...

It that confirms it, file the bug report from INSIDE software.. Shortly explain and fill in email.
They will get back to you for details. Forum is not primary support channel.
They usually respond in 24 hours or faster. With COVID now, they are focusing at support tickets, forum is not priority now.

Like Andreas, I don't see problems with my 4262. My 3406D is not here so I can't check..

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2020, 06:43:18 am »
I got a reply in the forum that the driver bug has been confirmed.
Hope it will not take too long to fix.

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2020, 11:15:05 pm »
That is good news - at least they can reproduce it now.

Offline ADT123

• Regular Contributor
    • Pico Technology
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2020, 09:49:13 am »
@mmm22 just heard in a meeting that the bug has been fixed.  It will take week or so for the new release to get through build / test / release.
Disclaimer: I have worked for Pico Technology for over 30 years and designed some of their early oscilloscopes. 

We are always recruiting talented hardware and software engineers! Happy to answer Pico related questions when time permits but here as electronics is a hobby

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, Andreas, 2N3055

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2020, 11:15:57 pm »
@mmm22 just heard in a meeting that the bug has been fixed.  It will take week or so for the new release to get through build / test / release.
The fix is still not available, unfortunately. But it looks like the 64 bit SDK is not affected by it.
Picoscope 6 software is available in 32 bit version only, AFAIK.

Offline ADT123

• Regular Contributor
    • Pico Technology
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2020, 08:10:11 am »
The bug is fixed in PicoScope 6.14.29 beta available from https://www.picotech.com/downloads.  Its also fixed in both 32 and 64 bit SDKs

If you have any issues with this let me or support know.
Disclaimer: I have worked for Pico Technology for over 30 years and designed some of their early oscilloscopes. 

We are always recruiting talented hardware and software engineers! Happy to answer Pico related questions when time permits but here as electronics is a hobby

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf