Author Topic: Single the triple output power supply  (Read 2737 times)

Offline WimberleytechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Single the triple output power supply
« on: May 30, 2019, 11:31:47 am »
I watched Dave’s video on this from 3 yrs ago. Did they fix the banana plug issue?

Siglent SPD3303X
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 12:27:55 pm by Wimberleytech »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Single the triple output power supply
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 11:40:29 am »
Which brand PSU ?
Which one of Dave's vids ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 12:27:22 pm »
Which brand PSU ?

Sorry...I was on my ipad and being incomplete with this post.  Will correct the post, but here
Siglent SPD3303X

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 12:31:00 pm »
...to complete the story...

I have an old HP dual output supply.  Last night on a critical case, I discovered that it had a serious ripple that I had not noticed before.  I need a quality lab supply for my case work.  Crappy stuff is fine for my hobbies.

I have a Siglent waveform generator which I like, so, naturally, I started there with my PSU search.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 12:37:55 pm »
Which brand PSU ?

Sorry...I was on my ipad and being incomplete with this post.  Will correct the post, but here
Siglent SPD3303X
Yeah they good now apparently but I never handled the very early ones so never experienced any issues.
There is a bit of a leade before the metal part of the terminal that apparently gives issues with some old and particularly short banana plugs.....again a issue I've yet to see but it's been reported here on EEVblog.

They're not something I thought would sell well but I'm constantly out of stock.  :palm:
Probably got something to do with the X-E model being improved to the X model.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2019, 12:51:48 pm »
Oh and BTW, the main display GUI has been updated some time back and it now shows lots more relevant info like this:

Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2019, 01:15:08 pm »
This thread:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-spd3303x-e-binding-post-issues-solved/

Addresses the banana issue.  Seems to be fixed.

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2019, 01:49:44 pm »
Well, the length issue was corrected.  But, AFAIK there is still a spacing difference between models.

The following users thanked this post: Wimberleytech, JxR

Offline JxR

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2019, 02:29:56 pm »
Well, the length issue was corrected.  But, AFAIK there is still a spacing difference between models.
:-DD That would be a deal breaker for me, although I guess some may not care.  But seriously, what were they thinking, and how could they not have noticed this problem before ramping up production?  :palm:

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2019, 03:04:17 pm »
:-DD That would be a deal breaker for me, although I guess some may not care.  But seriously, what were they thinking, and how could they not have noticed this problem before ramping up production?  :palm:

Indeed.  It is truly amazing.  If everything else meets my needs, I can suffer through that miscue. 

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2019, 03:44:31 pm »

I think there was some discussion here about loose or differing international standards or lack thereof.  They did catch it, actually, as the SPD3303X was the first supply designed.  The later ones, SPD1168/SPD1305, are spaced correctly.

It does bother me more than I thought it would, but certainly not to the point of being a deal breaker.  The SPD3303X is handy enough to overcome this oversight.

The following users thanked this post: JxR

Offline JxR

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2019, 04:16:21 pm »
The SPD3303X is handy enough to overcome this oversight.

If everything else meets my needs, I can suffer through that miscue. 

If it meets the user's needs, then no reason to rule it out as a possible purchase.  It's at a price that is easy swallow, and the interface looks nice and readable.  To be honest, I've yet to find a "perfect" piece of equipment. There always seems to be some gotcha that you discover later, or acknowledge as something you can live with when making a purchase decision.  Please don't let my stubbornness dissuade you from a purchase!

My Siglent SDG2042x is the only piece of original equipment I have left after starting this journey 4-5 years ago.  Everything else has been replaced/upgraded, since I can't afford to just horde equipment. Would I like something else, sure.  But, it would be ~$2500 more to get something I would like better.  So it stays, does its job, and does it fairly well.  I've personally lost my taste for Rigol equipment, but I would still consider something from Siglent in the future.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 04:40:21 pm by JxR »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2019, 12:39:03 pm »
I ordered it this morning.  Will see...

Offline DanielSpokane

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2019, 04:53:17 am »
I ordered it this morning.  Will see...

What is the verdict? Do you like?

I heard there was a hack to improve the resolution. Are you planning to do that?

I'm gunning for a new power supply and thinking the Siglent SPD3303X-E is likely the ticket. I was worried when I saw Dave's video regarding the connectors... but sounds like they got that fixed... so banana plugs work. How do they look to you? I'm not worried about the spacing... but would want to make sure regular banana plugs work reliably.

Also, where did you order from? I was thinking Saelig. Isn't there a discount code or something you can get?

Any thoughts you have would be appreciated.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2019, 03:24:19 pm »

What is the verdict? Do you like?

So far so good.  Have not really used it beyond setting it up.

I heard there was a hack to improve the resolution. Are you planning to do that?

Yes, I have read about this.  Right now, I don't think I need it, so I am gonna leave it as is.

I'm gunning for a new power supply and thinking the Siglent SPD3303X-E is likely the ticket. I was worried when I saw Dave's video regarding the connectors... but sounds like they got that fixed... so banana plugs work. How do they look to you? I'm not worried about the spacing... but would want to make sure regular banana plugs work reliably.
Pamona is the gold standard for banana jacks.  I have plugged one in and it fits snug.  It is not as long as the pair of leads they ship with the supply, but still fits fine.

Also, where did you order from? I was thinking Saelig. Isn't there a discount code or something you can get?

Yes, I purchased from Saelig.  Free shipping and no tax...a big plus.  I did not use a discount code (I dont think I did).
I had previously purchased Siglent waveform generator from them and was happy with that purchase.

Any thoughts you have would be appreciated.

I have the SDG2042 sitting on top of the power supply.  They designed the 2042 with stackable feet, however, no such stackability exists with the power supply, so the 2042 slides when you touch it.  I solved this by designing and printing two feet (mimicking the stackable interface) and attaching them to the power supply--no more sliding!

Offline JDubU

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2019, 05:24:15 pm »
I have the SDG2042 sitting on top of the power supply.  They designed the 2042 with stackable feet, however, no such stackability exists with the power supply, so the 2042 slides when you touch it.  I solved this by designing and printing two feet (mimicking the stackable interface) and attaching them to the power supply--no more sliding!

Funny thing, I have my SDG2042x stacked on top of a Rigol DP832 power supply and the front bumpers interlock perfectly -- no sliding at all!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2019, 05:28:12 pm »

Funny thing, I have my SDG2042x stacked on top of a Rigol DP832 power supply and the front bumpers interlock perfectly -- no sliding at all!

That is very interesting.  I looked at the Rigol but for whatever reason (I dont recall) went with Siglent.  Anyway, I solved it in a rather clever way.

Offline DanielSpokane

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2019, 01:00:09 pm »
Thanks for your thoughts. I went ahead and pulled the trigger and ordered the Siglent. Should be here next week!

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2019, 02:03:08 pm »

That is very interesting.  I looked at the Rigol but for whatever reason (I dont recall) went with Siglent.  Anyway, I solved it in a rather clever way.

How about a picture or two of that solution?  :D

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2019, 02:43:27 pm »
The Siglent 3330x is my most used power supply, the odd banana plug spacing has only annoyed me a few times.  99% of the time I used independent banana leads or spades.  Not had any issues with the internal size or depth of the plugs.

The Fine and left right mode buttons annoy me much more than the odd plug spacing.  I kind of wish the fine button was replaced with a Function button to select through Voltage, Current and other parameters, and the left right moved decade range for the value.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2019, 02:45:53 pm »

Here is the foot image.

I will post a picture of the actual setup later today.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2019, 03:50:36 pm »

Here is the foot image.

I will post a picture of the actual setup later today.

Here is a picture.  The green feet (or /feet)  are attached to the power supply with double-sided tape.

The following users thanked this post: kj7e, BillB

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf