Author Topic: How to check Rigol DP832's accuracy  (Read 2471 times)

Offline SHARANYATopic starter

• Contributor
How to check Rigol DP832's accuracy
« on: January 22, 2018, 08:04:17 pm »
Dear experts
I am a little bit confused about which formula to use for the accuracy checking of the Rigol DP832's voltage & current.
In the datasheet,there is a column "Annual accuracy" for programming & readback.Also there is a column which states the "Stability".
So my question,for say,I have setted 5v & my DMM reading is 5.001v.So should I calculate using the formula mentioned in the Annual accuracy>programming(.05%+10mV) or should I calculate using the Stability(.02%+2mv)??
Please help!!

Offline JDubU

• Frequent Contributor
Re: How to check Rigol DP832's accuracy
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 04:04:01 pm »
The annual accuracy is the maximum variation from calibrated output values after one year from the time of calibration.

Stability is the maximum variation of output values over an 8 hour time period (from datasheet: "Note[3]: The variation of the output within 8 hours after 30-minute warm-up when the load circuit and environment temperature are constant.").  So stability is a shorter term variation within the constraints of the annual accuracy.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 04:07:09 pm by JDubU »

Offline SHARANYATopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 06:00:39 pm »
Thanks a lot for the nice explanation.My unit has not completed one year yet.In july-15,2018 one year will be completed after calibration.So i should stick to the "Stability" then!Am i correct?

Offline JDubU

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 06:58:31 pm »
The stability specification only guarantees that the outputs will not change by a certain amount over an 8 hour period with a constant load and environment.  It does not say anything about absolute accuracy.
Absolute accuracy is determined by comparing the output of the power supply to some external calibration standard.  The one year accuracy spec for the power supply says it won't deviate by more than a certain amount for one year from the last calibration. 

If you are concerned about the absolute accuracy of the power supply, you can use a more precise instrument to monitor the output and adjust the power supply using those readings as you go or, use that instrument to adjust the internal calibration of the power supply as often as you want.  The Rigol calibration guide for the DP800 series power supplies is attached below.  To do the calibration, you would need a DMM that has the accuracy that you want.  A 6 1/2 digit bench DMM is recommended, but you could even use one of the very inexpensive Chinese 10,000 count DMM's (e.g. https://www.banggood.com/search/an8009.html) and use that as your calibration standard.  This would get all of the channels of the power supply to have a consistent calibration but would only have the absolute accuracy of the DMM you are using as your standard.  It's all relative.  It depends on what you need the power supply to do for you.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 07:32:35 pm by JDubU »

The following users thanked this post: s8548a

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 02:41:04 pm »
I started an opinion poll about the RIGOLs

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/what-is-your-opinion-of-the-quality-of-the-rigol-dp832(a)/msg1856247/#top

Please give a rating of your own experiences with this stuff - good or bad, whatever it may be.

Thanks
  Wolfgang

erm and you are who exactly? you seem to be posting this all over the forum, if this is so desperate and valuable to everyone why don't you contact us and lay you case out?

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 02:43:25 pm »
What I am is in my profile and website.

https://electronicprojectsforfun.wordpress.com/

Whats driving me is just curiosity, no commercial interests. Is a popular thing, there has been a lot of debate, and I just wanted to know how owners feel about it, nothing else.
I have no hidden agenda.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 02:46:53 pm by Wolfgang »

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2018, 02:45:54 pm »
Whats driving me is just curiosity, no commercial interests. Is a popular thing, there has been a lot of debate, and I just wanted to know how owners feel about it, nothing else.

Still, posting the same message 8 times is a bit how-you-doing…
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

The following users thanked this post: nugglix, 2N3055

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2018, 02:48:46 pm »
The reason to do that was to generate some awareness for the poll in threads related to the subject.
I could not see whats wrong with that.

Offline glarsson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2018, 02:53:13 pm »
What happens if everyone posts all over the forum because they feel important? Spammer!

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2018, 02:54:58 pm »
... its not "all over the forum". I did it *only* in threads related to the DP832.

Offline glarsson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2018, 03:20:04 pm »
Doesn't matter.

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2018, 03:22:08 pm »
The reason to do that was to generate some awareness for the poll in threads related to the subject.
I could not see whats wrong with that.

And if it is such a worthwhile cause simply contact me and I could make your poll a sticky, as you can see instead you are just annoying everyone with spammer like behaviour. You could also put a link in you signature (and then not make posts simply for the sake of it).

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2018, 03:29:53 pm »
Sorry, I did not know how to make this "sticky".
What is the official way to get something sticky ?
BTW: I just had *one* compliant so far.

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2018, 03:56:04 pm »
Sorry, I did not know how to make this "sticky".

You can't
What is the official way to get something sticky ?

You ask a moderator

BTW: I just had *one* compliant so far.

You have had one complaint? I don't care how many complaints you have had. I have had several reports and i am getting fed up.

As a general rule, think, "if everyone did what I am doing what would happen?". If everyone pasted such messages it would lead to chaos, if everyone wants everyone else to tell them what they think of such and such equipment it would also lead to chaos.

The following users thanked this post: nugglix

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2018, 04:01:57 pm »
OK then, I wont do it again.
Would you please make this "sticky" ? Your profile shows you are a moderator.

Offline bson

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2018, 10:22:15 pm »
If you have a bench DMM with GPIB/LXI then just recalibrate your DP832 yourself when you suspect it has drifted, or when the readbacks differ from the setpoints.  If you search you'll find the various calibration scripts created for this purpose in the past.  It's a PSU, not a precision DMM, and can be calibrated with just about any 5.5 digit bench DMM.

In two years since calibration the readback on mine is still within 1mV/1mA, and similarly for setpoints.  IMO that's perfectly fine stability and excellent precision for a PSU, but maybe your needs exceed mine.  :-//

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf