Author Topic: 121GW why no open source?  (Read 822 times)

Offline dav888

• Contributor
  • hw engineer in the synth biz
121GW why no open source?
« on: February 10, 2019, 09:55:18 am »
Hi, I might have totally missed out, but wasn't the 121GW firmware supposed to be open source!?

I can see all efforts going on reverse engineering it. I see two better options

1) EEV to release the original source for the 121GW.

2) Create a new multimeter hw+sw from scratch instead of spending time reverse-engineering??

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Re: 121GW why no open source?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 11:08:21 am »
The firmware is not open source.  Dave would have liked that - but the manufacturer is coy about revealing "secret sauce" routines.  In other words - Dave doesn't have it to make it available for "open source"

Reverse engineering allows taking functional software and investigating what various sections of code do.  You can then play with a part and see how it affects operation.  This is a slow way of learning what the software can do - and it will still miss out on hardware functionality that may be available, but not exercised in the existing software.

Writing software from scratch will require a full mapping of the hardware, which will include knowing how to configure everything.

Creating a DMM with the resources of UEI behind the development was a multi-year project.  If you were to spin a completely new meter with full control of the software, you are going to have along and difficult journey.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 11:12:17 am »
Open source mods would nullify the CAT rating.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 12:04:54 pm »
Hi, I might have totally missed out, but wasn't the 121GW firmware supposed to be open source!?

No, it was not, and that was never promised.
That was the hope though, but the manufacturer ultimately said no.

1) EEV to release the original source for the 121GW.

I do not own the firmware source, it's not my decision to make.
I do however own the PC/android/iphone application software though which has been released open source. We rewrote that one completely from scratch and did not use any of the original app code.

2) Create a new multimeter hw+sw from scratch instead of spending time reverse-engineering??

Good luck!  ;D
(Sarcastic because I know how much work is involved)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 12:07:06 pm by EEVblog »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf