Author Topic: For designing 50v,100v,150v dc power supplies.  (Read 4199 times)

Offline shibasTopic starter

For designing 50v,100v,150v dc power supplies.
« on: April 09, 2013, 08:45:42 am »

How to design  50v,100v,150v power supplies?I need to use these power supplies for an actuator(Piezo stack actuator).

Can any body help me with the design equations for the above mentioned power supplies along with their circuit diagrams and necessary materials or notes for designing the power supply?

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
Re: For designing 50v,100v,150v dc power supplies.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 09:39:27 am »
Umm... Probably not.
You haven't provided anywhere near enough detail.

1. What kind of input power supply do you have available?
 2. How much current is required on each rail?
 3. What kind of stability do you need?

etc.etc.

Most people would probably suggest off-the-shelf DC-DC converter modules if this is your first attempt at designing a power supply of any significant nature.

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 11:16:33 am »
just stick a diode and a cap on the mains, what could possibly go wrong?

Offline eevblogfan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 11:26:14 am »
KJDS , VAST, HUGE, ENORMOUS, BIGG NO-NO to you !  :palm:

before someone got injured I MUST tell *DO NOT PLAY WITH MAINS IF YOU GOT NO EXPERIENCE * it is freaking dangerous and you musn't apply silly into that field

Offline shibasTopic starter

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 04:43:05 am »
I think we can design these dc power supplies using a transformer,a bridge rectifier and a capacitor.

But what should be the different voltage and current ratings of the transformer for designing the 50v,100v,150v dc power supplies?

What should be the value and voltage rating of the capacitor?

Can u help me by providing either the circuit diagrams of the power supply design using the transformer,bridge and capacitor for the 3 different dc power supplies of 50v,100v and 150v or by providing the links for getting the necessary materials,diagrams,equations for designing the 3 dc power supplies of 50v,100v and 150v.

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 10:39:09 am »
We are not doing your homework/coursework/job for you.

It should be fairly obvious what the minimum rating of a capacitor on a 50V rail should be. Bear in mind, a capacitor will usually fail if the voltage rating is less than what is applied across it, especially if the difference is large.

As for a transformer, you need to understand RMS and peak voltages but basically you want an RMS voltage that's around 70% of the DC output voltage.  As for current rating, a transformer will catch fire or fail (if it's feeling boring) if you exceed its current rating. So you should make sure you don't.

Then you need to size the output capacitors based on maximum tolerable ripple etc. A general rule of 1000uF/amp can work well for lower output voltages, though there are a lot of exceptions to this rule.

Offline eevblogfan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 10:50:52 am »
hey

just saw the 70% rule of thumb

based on my own experience with transformers , I know that the ratio between the ACVRMS of the transformer and the DCV after filtering * with * full load , is 115% ( Ie , 12(AC)V;R.M.S and around 13.8VDC )

and as per the ratio * without any load * is 125% ( Ie, 12(AC)V;R.M.S and around 15VDC )

so I hope I am correct . though this is from real world measurements and of 5 different transformers and I found that to be correct with all of them . part aluminum winding and part copper , the main differences is the temp at full working power ( 75C on the aluminum while ~60C on the copper )

I am stand to be correct though ;)

Cheers

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 03:13:21 pm »
There is anothe thing at play here... You say it is to drive piezo stack...

Piezo stacks need ac voltage... Preferrably at a high frequency in the range of 30 to 40 kilohertz...
That is, if you are making an ultrasonic system.
If the stack is used in impulse mode ( like common rail injection for a car ) you need a supply that can handle fast transients. The pulse current is high and the voltage cannot collapse... A piezo element behaves as a tuned parallel L-C . The c is pretty high ..
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf