Author Topic: GPS reception for embedded devices - tips and tricks?  (Read 1825 times)

Offline Corporate666Topic starter

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
GPS reception for embedded devices - tips and tricks?
« on: July 02, 2013, 04:41:25 am »
I'm working on a design that will require a GPS module.  The housing for the device will be aluminum and the front surface will have a circuit board with LED's on it behind a piece of acrylic.

I don't know much about GPS reception, but I know devices like the iPhone can be made of metal with some plastic/glass surfaces and still have good reception - so I think it can be done.

My plan at the moment is to either place a surface mount GPS antenna on the circuit board behind the acrylic screen, or perhaps to place an all-in-one GPS module beneath the display board and specify an opening on the top PCB such that the GPS antenna will not be covered by any circuit board above it.

If I mount the antenna on the LED board, I need to consider connecting it to the GPS module below (not sure of the specifics of connecting GPS antennas).

Anyone have any advice?

My main concerns are:

-Will having a GPS antenna mounted in a 1.5" diameter aluminum cylinder with an acrylic/perspex cover on one end provide suitable GPS reception (unit will be for outdoor use with plastic surface pointed relatively skyward).
-I know very little about antennas.  What spec(s) do I want to focus on for best performance?
-What issues do I need to consider when connecting the antenna to the GPS module (I'm thinking things like... trace length, isolation from other traces, isolation from the housing, capacitance, etc?  I have no idea what is important.  Or is it just an easy straight connection?)
-Anything else I need to consider or that I'm overlooking?

I've ordered this module for testing and getting some code working:

http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-ultimate-gps

but still very much open on the module for the final design.

Thanks!
It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf