Author Topic: 2000-series Tektronix oscilloscopes  (Read 1860 times)

Offline thared33Topic starter

• Contributor
2000-series Tektronix oscilloscopes
« on: April 10, 2022, 12:01:43 pm »
I think I've decided on a Tektronix oscilloscope, but I also looked into BK Precision and HP stuff that doesn't look so bad. I need the oscilloscope to have two channels at least, and an X/Y display. I'm not sure if the X/Y thing is standard on pretty much all oscilloscopes or what. I'm new, if you couldn't tell  :)

I need the scope for doing some tape machine alignment, so an analog is the way to go. The bandwidth doesn't really matter for that of course. The 2000-series Tektronix ones look good, but used it's looking like I'm gonna have to spend upward of $300 to get one from Ebay.

If you guys can't recommend a good Tektronix to look out for, maybe there's something just as good you could recommend. Thanks.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
Re: 2000-series Tektronix oscilloscopes
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2022, 03:25:46 pm »
Burn this into a note and place it above your workbench. You would be nuts to spend $300 for an old Tek 22 series scope, even one in mint condition. For just a tiny bit more you can get any of several worthy modern beginners scopes, brand new.

You might be able to afford to do that, if you can and have reason to think you may need to use it a lot, do that you wont be sorry..

Otherwise, sit tight when you see expensive analog scopes. As a bit of patience will get you one for a lot less. You can bet on this as simply paying for the space to own old equipment represents a lot of money. Over time it makes the more compact equipment more valuable and the larger equipment less so.

Don't fall into the trap of paying too much, it will decrease your enjoyment. Any analog scope will die within a few years and replacing it may not be economical.

Got my mint condition 2211 for $75 on ebay and I love it. It has not been used much, was clean as a whistle. Still was in spec in every way. And I still get a decent amount of use out of it. But I know that eventually it will die.

And, unfortunately I still dont even have a service manual for it, (nor have I seen it for sale anywhere.) Its also too big to lug around when I move my work area which I do, living in a tiny home. So often it doesn't get used as much as it should. When I set up on the kitchen table I only get a few hours of time. And when its time to eat, my work bench has to go. I don't know how many geeks work like that.

Despite its size I still like it a lot. And having it has taught me a lot.

Its technically an analog scope with digital features but the fact is its basically an analog scope with digital readout and some very basic digital abilities.

If you are looking for a 22 series scope you should not pay a super lot for it because the CRT. Analog Tek or not, scopes when they die, they are very hard to fix because the CRTs.. are just old tech thats costly to replace. if you can even find them.. Also even though 2200 series are a bit smaller (not very)  they are still big compared to a new scope, burn out eventually, and for a  modern workbench, too big to be convenient. Its like a CRT monitor.

Although they dont weigh as much as one, its still a PITA.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2022, 03:42:30 pm by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline thared33Topic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2022, 03:58:34 pm »
Yep, the issue is waiting for a good deal. I've looked locally and there's only a single overpriced Tektronix for $300+. I wouldn't mind going with another brand as mentioned, so maybe I'll look a little harder. I've got some repair work to do and the only thing preventing me from doing it is a scope, so I'm pretty anxious to get one.

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2022, 04:35:35 pm »
As everyone continually whines about, the prices of this stuff has gone up a lot over the past few years.  But what has really gone up is the proliferation of overpriced junk.  I fix/sell some of these as a hobby--or at least I used to--and recent Tek sales include a 2221A for $250 and a 2235 for $275.  Both buyers were quite happy with what they got and since I offer a 'call me if anything goes wrong' policy, I assume they are both still going strong.  You'd be lucky to get such a deal nowadays and even if you thought you did, there's a 90% chance there will be some hidden issue lurking in there somewhere.  A pro-tip:  buy nice-looking non-abused stuff and it is more likely to not be crap.

One option you might consider is a low-end or early 2400 series scope--everyone wants a 2465B, but for most users the plain 2445 is an excellent option and definitely a class above the 22xx series.  It is strictly analog but processor controlled.  They sometimes do need some work in the PSU but I think they are better made and easier to work on than the 22xx series.  Another idea is a non-Tek scope at a lower price--but be forewarned that repair help is a bit harder to come by.  I've repaired BK Precision, Hitachi and Kikusui scopes, but there's less information and parts available. 

A hybrid storage Tek 22xx like the 2221/2221A/2230/2232 is actually a very useful tool (IMO) in certain situations, but they are a bit more challenging to work on.  They are also not commonly found in good condition these days and only worth getting if you stumble on just the right deal.  And if I wasn't clear, the 'right deal' is not a low price, it is a scope in mint condition at a price you can afford to pay. 

As for the question of whether you should buy a newer DSO instead of an analog CRO, that's your call.  The XY display on most DSOs is not as nice as a CRO and takes some effort to even get a decent display.  OTOH, the XY bandwidth is usually much higher, if that matters.

I don't typically use EEVBlog for sales, but if you really want a CRO, PM me and I'll examine my shelves for options.  It might motivate me to fix something...
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2022, 12:46:13 pm »
Newer more modern scopes are an entire different ballgame with all sorts of math functions enabled by their entirely different architecture. Since technology has moved forward 40 years since the analog scopes were sold, IMHO its foolish if you are able to spend what one would cost, not to avail yourself of it by getting one. 

Old Tek scopes are just old. When they were new, I was a kid. Then they were great and the only thing available that did what they do but as an owner of one now, when then I would have thought of as "the future" in a sci-fi sense, I realize that its NOW got very substantial limitations that make it unable to do much of what I would hope for and expect were I spending >$300

When it breaks I will have to buy a newer digital scope.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2022, 12:53:27 pm »
I think that if you keep your eyes open you should be able to find an old vintage Tek, - or HP or B=K or even a Hitachi o-scope for a fairly modest price, with a bit of patience. I would set yourself a fairly low limit and then resolve to stay within it.

And not break your promise to yourself. Really, consider the cost of space, I dont know where you live but real estate is very high these days which means that wherever you locate your workshop is going to cost more and more. One doesn't think of the approximately 2 or 3 square feet that a big piece of test equipment might take up as real estate but it undeniably is and should be figured into an items cost. This is why those of us with a lot of old equipment often face a dilemma. Where to put the old, increasingly dated and difficult to fix TUBE-heavy gear that to more and more people looks like "junk"? Thats what my wife calls stuff with tubes.

I think I've decided on a Tektronix oscilloscope, but I also looked into BK Precision and HP stuff that doesn't look so bad. I need the oscilloscope to have two channels at least, and an X/Y display. I'm not sure if the X/Y thing is standard on pretty much all oscilloscopes or what. I'm new, if you couldn't tell  :)

I need the scope for doing some tape machine alignment, so an analog is the way to go. The bandwidth doesn't really matter for that of course. The 2000-series Tektronix ones look good, but used it's looking like I'm gonna have to spend upward of $300 to get one from Ebay.

If you guys can't recommend a good Tektronix to look out for, maybe there's something just as good you could recommend. Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 12:59:10 pm by cdev »

Offline Suzook

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2022, 11:07:08 am »
Deals can be found on teks, but you need patience. Found a used Tektronix 2235 on ebay for $50 shipped. Yes, $50 shipped. I'm assuming it needs work, but maybe i will get lucky. Need probes though.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2022, 11:33:19 am »
Deals can be found on teks, but you need patience. Found a used Tektronix 2235 on ebay for $50 shipped. Yes, $50 shipped. I'm assuming it needs work, but maybe i will get lucky. Need probes though.

That's a very, very basic instrument though. I wouldn't be able to use it to get my job done, so ... it's $50 too much.  :-//

(it wouldn't fit on my bench either)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2022, 11:36:34 am »
The power supplies on the 2235 are painful to be fair and spares are non existent. If you’re going to spend on that get an older 465B or 475. Far more robust.  I paid a record low of £2 for one once and it only needed about 20 mins work to get it working properly.

Offline Suzook

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2022, 11:43:32 am »
PS will be immediately recapped. Listen, $50 IMO is a fair price. I see some selling for $200

Offline Suzook

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2022, 11:44:21 am »

That's a very, very basic instrument though. I wouldn't be able to use it to get my job done, so ... it's $50 too much.  :-//

(it wouldn't fit on my bench either)
I work on Audio equipment, i don't need fancy.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2022, 11:45:33 am »
PS will be immediately recapped. Listen, $50 IMO is a fair price. I see some selling for $200

Might want to check my thread out here https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/tektronix-2235-repair-thread/

The following users thanked this post: Fungus

Offline Suzook

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2022, 12:01:03 pm »

Might want to check my thread out here https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/tektronix-2235-repair-thread/
Thanks, You don't happen to have a part list for the caps, Do you? Maybe message me if you do.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2022, 12:02:09 pm »
Unfortunately not.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf