Author Topic: 2x 100:1 probes used as differential probes or a REAL differential probe?  (Read 3887 times)

Offline mcinqueTopic starter

• Supporter
  • I know that I know nothing
I'm going to buy something to make "safe" mains measurements with my DSO.

Should I:

grab 2x 100:1 probes and use them differential probes setting math A-B on the DSO, spending about € 60 or
get a testec 100:1 differential probe spending much, much more (about € 365)?

I mean: both brings the same results, can you describe some advantages of the REAL differential probes that justify € 305 difference (except saving one DSO input)?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 11:40:45 am by mcinque »

Offline omgfire

• Regular Contributor
CMRR

Offline mij59

• Frequent Contributor

• Supporter
CMRR
thanks.

Try this one
http://www.batronix.com/php/index.php
Thank you, but AFAIK that is for use onto a DMM as it cannot be compensated (and of course it's not practical to use inside an apparatus).

Offline mij59

• Frequent Contributor
CMRR
thanks.

Try this one
http://www.batronix.com/php/index.php
Thank you, but AFAIK that is for use onto a DMM as it cannot be compensated (and of course it's not practical to use inside an apparatus).

No, the Testec TT-SI-9001 is a high voltage differential probe for oscilloscopes.

• Supporter
oh sorry, you're right, the link bring me to the cart where I have one testec TT-HVP-40 high voltage probe!  |O :palm:

However the TT-SI-9001 is not much far from the one I find here, and If I have some warranty problems it will cost me more to send it back in Germany

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
cmrr, smaller or more compact unit, saving 1 scope channel and avoid turtle slow built in dso math function (i mean like my rigol ds1052e). pintek can cost half your listed price testec.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
The variable gain function of the oscilloscope can be used to trim the DC common mode rejection of the probes which usually contributes the largest error.  If necessary, the AC common mode rejection can be slightly adjusted with the probe compensation.

The dedicated differential probe should have a much higher common mode input voltage range for a given gain.  When using the oscilloscope in add and invert mode, the maximum sensitivity is limited by the common mode voltage and not the differential voltage.  Older differential probes tend to be better in this regard than newer ones or at least newer cheap ones.  A 7A13 for instance can operate with a sensitivity of 100mV/div over a common mode range of +/- 1000 volts with x10 probes but an oscilloscope alone will be like 500 times worse.  I suspect cheap probes leave this specification out because it makes them look bad.

I cannot really comment about the Rigols being slow in add and invert mode because none of my old DSOs slow down when operating like that. :)

If you are making 120 or 240 VAC differential measurements, I would first pick up a pair of inexpensive x10 or x100 probes and see how well they work before buying the more expensive differential probe.  You probably should have the normal oscilloscope probes anyway and if they are good enough, you will have saved some money.

• Supporter
Thank you David for the detailed explaination and advice.  :-+ :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf