Author Topic: 4 in 1 Counter, DMM, Function Generator & Power Supply  (Read 4308 times)

Offline mrKiwi1Topic starter

4 in 1 Counter, DMM, Function Generator & Power Supply
« on: July 20, 2014, 10:41:00 am »
Hello everyone, I have been watching videos for while now but this is my first time wandering into the Forums. 

I have been doing electronics on and off for number of years but only now really getting serious enough to set up a real lab with some decent test equipment.  I'm on a really tight budget but managed to get myself a Rigal DS1052E scope and a hacko fx888 soldering iron.  now I am looking for a decent DMM (been putting up with a old dick smith cheapy I have had for years) and a Function generator.  my 1970's power supply that my dad gave me years ago blew up so I need to replace it.  I was looking around online and came across this 4 in one unit

http://www.triotest.com.au/shop/en/frequency-counter/2198-4-in-1-counter-dmm-function-generator-power-supply.html] [url]http://www.triotest.com.au/shop/en/frequency-counter/2198-4-in-1-counter-dmm-function-generator-power-supply.html[/url]

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them and if there any good.  I'm always bit wary of this sort of "no name" gear but its from a repeatable local re-seller here in Melbourne.  They have lot of Siglent gear and was going to go with there SDG1025 function gen
http://www.triotest.com.au/shop/en/arbitrary-waveform/2954-siglent-sdg1020-2-channel-function-arbitrary-waveform-generator.html

A cheap bench top DMM.

plus the Agalent U1241A Handheld DMM
http://www.triotest.com.au/shop/en/agilent/2998-agilent-u1241a.html

When I saw the all in one thought it would be good space saving idea as don't have lot of space. 

Any advice greatly appreciated

Offline Wh1sper

• Regular Contributor
    • Zockertown
Re: 4 in 1 Counter, DMM, Function Generator & Power Supply
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 11:05:57 am »
I do own such an 4in1 Gear.
Mine is an Peaktech 4100a which is an Metex 5150
Somewhat elder than this. The DMM has is 9V Battery powered and independent from the Rest.
The PSU is really good, the Frequency Counter fills my needs and the Generator, also.
If you do have money go for it.
One extra PSU is nice anyway
The Multimeter do I not use very often. Your mileage will vary

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 11:31:45 am »
The Agilent looks good; quality is remembered long after price is forgotten.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

jucole

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 12:53:56 pm »
This is mine which I bought fairly cheap on Ebay.

Although it's been an invaluable learning tool for a beginner like myself, i've moved on and I'm now looking for better dedicated gear.

Offline mrKiwi1Topic starter

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 01:43:01 pm »
thank you for your reply and for your photo Mr Eastwood.  I have been offered a second hand 4 in 1 unit from a friend here in Melbourne for $100 so going to buy that now and upgrade later if I need

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 02:07:33 pm »
Its great for schools or learners with a specific curriculum but most all-in-ones have specs that easily can be bested by new stand alone gear, and for less money. 

If you are strapped for space, always buy rectangular housed gear so it can be stacked. 

For comparisons and reviews, in the USA this is called the Tenma Universal Test Center and you can google it for a lot of data, its been around since 2003.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 02:32:28 pm by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf