Author Topic: £400 to spend, Fluke 87V or GW-Instek GDM8351  (Read 10058 times)

Offline commieTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
£400 to spend, Fluke 87V or GW-Instek GDM8351
« on: August 18, 2015, 03:07:31 pm »
It seems I have some cash left over, my Fluke 289, which is 6 years old now, is currently up for sale on Ebay.I have no use for a handheld because I no longer do field work although nice to have.So I was wondering should I get a Fluke 87V(20000 count, dc accuracy=0.05%) because only top flight engineers use the 87V or should I get GW-Instek's 8351 (120000 count,dc accuracy=0.012%)?+ more features.

I think the Instek is about £20 more or so than the Fluke 87V.

The Instek GDM8351 51/2 digit bench meter is a brand new model, it has only just been introduced onto the market. Spec.sheet is here: http://www.keysight.aspen-electronics.com/pdf/gdm-8351.pdf.

I am convinced that the resale value of GW-Instek equipments is good on Ebay however I am aware it's probably not as good as Fluke equipment.

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
Re: £400 to spend, Fluke 87V or GW-Instek GDM8351
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 03:44:48 pm »
Those two are apples and oranges. Would that be your only DMM? Because even though I mostly use DMMs in my lab, I don't think I could live without a hand held. It's handy to just move it anywhere you need, I also have multiple work benches.

87V is just a really solid no frills easy to use DMM. People like it because it's dependable and straight forward. It has a spartan feature set for the price but every feature it has is well implemented.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 04:05:39 pm »
Would that be your only DMM? Because even though I mostly use DMMs in my lab, I don't think I could live without a hand held. It's handy to just move it anywhere you need, I also have multiple work benches.

Hi Muxr,

I have 2x 34461A  and 1x 34465A and 1xFluke8808 in my workshop or design studio(too posh,eh?). Yes, I hear what you say about having something portable to move around ones workshop is very useful, however I bought(very recently) 1x Greenlee DM-510A and an AMPROBE DM73C for that very purpose of having a mobile meter to hand.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 04:21:33 pm by commie »

Offline deadlylover

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 04:37:31 pm »
Ummm, do you reaaaaally need another DMM?  :P

I'd save the money for projects or more test gear when required. If you *have* to buy something, I might be leaning towards the Fluke because you already have a nice array of bench meters, then again, why not just keep the 289?

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 04:44:57 pm »
I understand the want/obsession to have many multimeters, but what could the Instek do for you that the other four benchtops ( and good ones at that) can't do? You also don't seem worried about portable logging if you are selling your 289. You also say you don't want another portable, so why an 87V? You already have a couple of handheld meters, so I am confused why you are asking which meter to buy, but you already have both types covered and you say you don't even want one of the ones you suggest.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 04:58:52 pm »
Ummm, do you reaaaaally need another DMM?  :P
I'd save the money for projects or more test gear when required. If you *have* to buy something, I might be leaning towards the Fluke because you already have a nice array of bench meters, then again, why not just keep the 289?

Erm.. yeah why not? So, you would go Fluke eh?, well it just seems a bland meter because my whole point is that I can get, for same money, a 51/2 120000 count bench meter with 0.012% accuracy, the Fluke is only 20000 counts and 0.05% accuracy and I do alot of 4..20mA stuff well the Fluke would trip at 19.999mA?or switch too 6000 count mode, remember this is a £400 meter. As for keeping the 289, One advantage of having many bench DMM's is you can compare them, well the 289 is a little out but still in spec., it's on ebay at the minute. :)

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 05:08:47 pm »
OK, you want a 50000/500000 count handheld meter with 0.02% accuracy, dual display, dual temperature, fast update, PC connection capability, and all for probably less than £250 with taxes and shipping?

Have a look at the Brymen BM869s:
http://www.tme.eu/en/details/bm869/portable-digital-multimeters/brymen/bm869s/
and
http://www.tme.eu/en/details/kitbu-86x/meters-software/brymen/
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 05:12:12 pm by Lightages »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 05:09:36 pm »
I understand the want/obsession to have many multimeters, but what could the Instek do for you that the other four benchtops ( and good ones at that) can't do? You also don't seem worried about portable logging if you are selling your 289. You also say you don't want another portable, so why an 87V? You already have a couple of handheld meters, so I am confused why you are asking which meter to buy, but you already have both types covered and you say you don't even want one of the ones you suggest.

What's wrong with having too many bench DMM's? :popcorn:

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 05:22:00 pm »
OK, you want a 50000/500000 count handheld meter with 0.02% accuracy, dual display, dual temperature, fast update, PC connection capability, and all for probably less than £250 with taxes and shipping?

I have, in the past, checked out the Brymen multimeter and yes I would buy one if I could find a UK stockist. I have bought equipment via China and even inside the EU only to be stung by import duties+VAT+handling fees when they arrive.
Are there any Brymen stockist in the U.K.?  :-//

Offline LA7SJA

• Regular Contributor
  • Acting user manual reader & forum search engine
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 05:26:03 pm »

What's wrong with having too many bench DMM's? :popcorn:

In my world you just can't have too many DMM's of any type. But not having an isolated DMM is in my work a big disadvantage and may prevent me from performing the measurement of the circuit I am working with.

Just my 2THB
Johan Fredrik
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 05:27:34 pm by LA7SJA »
"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is probably not for you"

Offline Stupid Beard

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 05:29:58 pm »

I have, in the past, checked out the Brymen multimeter and yes I would buy one if I could find a UK stockist. I have bought equipment via China and even inside the EU only to be stung by import duties+VAT+handling fees when they arrive.
Are there any Brymen stockist in the U.K.?  :-//

For what it's worth, there were no issues with VAT or import duty last time I ordered from TME. I think there's some rebranded Brymens from a UK distributor, but I forget the name now. Pretty sure they're more expensive though, so it's probably best to just get them from TME.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 05:32:52 pm »
In my world you just can't have too many DMM's of any type. But not having an isolated DMM is in my work a big disadvantage and may prevent me from performing the measurement of the circuit I am working with.

Just my 2THB
Johan Fredrik

Yeah precisely thanks for the support, I sometimes use 3 61/2 digit DMM's on a breadboard design, freedom to do this is ecstatic.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2015, 05:48:51 pm »
For what it's worth, there were no issues with VAT or import duty last time I ordered from TME. I think there's some rebranded Brymens from a UK distributor, but I forget the name now. Pretty sure they're more expensive though, so it's probably best to just get them from TME.

When I was stung last from ordering from the USA, the charges were explained to me. If it's under £35.00, no charges whatsoever will be incur'd, if the value is between £35~130 you will be charged vat+handling fee(administration costs), if it's over £130.00 you will be charged vat+import duties+admin.fees.

Customs and excise admit that some slip through, which might be what happened to you. I know that I have had quite a few parcels slip through myself, just lucky,I guess. The other important point with TME is it's in the EU and I'm not sure how the U.K.  customs and excise view the EU?, is the U.K. a full or partial member of the EU?  nobody seems to know.

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2015, 06:04:22 pm »
At least you're collecting multimeters and not spectrum analyzers or network analyzers :)

I'd buy a used(but like new) Fluke 87V and spend the remaining $$ on other gear.
VE7FM

Offline Stupid Beard

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2015, 06:18:23 pm »

When I was stung last from ordering from the USA, the charges were explained to me. If it's under £35.00, no charges whatsoever will be incur'd, if the value is between £35~130 you will be charged vat+handling fee(administration costs), if it's over £130.00 you will be charged vat+import duties+admin.fees.

Customs and excise admit that some slip through, which might be what happened to you. I know that I have had quite a few parcels slip through myself, just lucky,I guess. The other important point with TME is it's in the EU and I'm not sure how the U.K.  customs and excise view the EU?, is the U.K. a full or partial member of the EU?  nobody seems to know.

The fees you mention only apply outside of the EU. Within the EU you pay VAT in the country of origin and there is no import duty. What this means is you can buy stuff from anywhere in the EU and the only potential difference is the VAT rate. I believe the VAT rate in Poland is 23% currently, so you would be paying that instead of the 20% that you may expect if you were to order from TME.

People go on about how shit the EU is all the time, but in doing so they conveniently forget all the good things about it that they would lose if we left it. This is one of them.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2015, 06:23:47 pm »
People go on about how shit the EU is all the time, but in doing so they conveniently forget all the good things about it that they would lose if we left it. This is one of them.

Well thanks for clearing that up, I wasn't sure, so you are pro european union then?, so am I very much so.  :-+

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2015, 08:04:33 pm »
Well, today I received my brand new GW-Instek GDM8351 120 000 count 51/2 digit meter, I chose well, it's a darn good meter. On the other hand I could have bought a bland 20 000 count Fluke 87V for exactly the same money.

I've checked the Vdc and its bang on, features +-0.012% basic accuracy . :popcorn: lovely I'm so pleased :)

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2015, 09:58:53 pm »
How about posting a review and an inside look?

Online Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2015, 04:47:14 am »
At least you're collecting multimeters and not spectrum analyzers or network analyzers :)

LOL

---

Congrats on the GDM8351 - let us know what you learn about it
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 04:49:37 am by Electro Fan »

Offline TheBay

• Supporter
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2015, 09:35:11 am »
Have you ordered from TME? I really want the BM869 and tempted to get it from TME as I can't find it anywhere else.

The fees you mention only apply outside of the EU. Within the EU you pay VAT in the country of origin and there is no import duty. What this means is you can buy stuff from anywhere in the EU and the only potential difference is the VAT rate. I believe the VAT rate in Poland is 23% currently, so you would be paying that instead of the 20% that you may expect if you were to order from TME.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2015, 12:22:32 pm »
Have you ordered from TME? I really want the BM869 and tempted to get it from TME as I can't find it anywhere else.

Hi,

Sorry, I have never ordered anything from TME but as you may read, they seem to be okay. Alternatively, I notice there is an Italian company on Ebay selling BM867S and BM869S at a good price, given Italy is in the EU I dont see a problem. :-//

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2015, 04:35:51 pm »
Hi Chaps,

I forgot to tell you, I also took delivery of one of these:
http://www.tester.co.uk/siglent-sdg5082-arbitrary-function-generator-frequency-80-2ch-display-4-3-inches

It's freakin fantatstic goes up to 40MHz 20Vpp and 40~80MHz 10Vpp, dead easy to use and does what it is told to do.

Now forgive me if I'm wrong but isn't Farnell selling the same thing under the brand name BK precision? check here:
http://uk.farnell.com/b-k-precision/bk4063/sgnl-generator-2ch-arb-func-80mhz/dp/2444032

If you think it;s the same then consider the price difference. :-//

Offline Mark

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2015, 06:07:53 pm »

Now forgive me if I'm wrong but isn't Farnell selling the same thing under the brand name BK precision? check here:
http://uk.farnell.com/b-k-precision/bk4063/sgnl-generator-2ch-arb-func-80mhz/dp/2444032

If you think it;s the same then consider the price difference. :-//

Same thing but LeCroy badged...  :o
http://www.digikey.co.uk/product-detail/en/WAVESTATION%203082/WAVESTATION%203082-ND/4721133

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf