Author Topic: 40000 counts or 4 3/4 multimeter for calibration audio gear.  (Read 10369 times)

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
Re: 40000 counts or 4 3/4 multimeter for calibration audio gear.
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2016, 06:17:14 pm »
FWIW, the least expensive source to get Brymen is from TME.eu (located in Poland). Shipping is quite reasonable, and quick as well.

So if you're after a handheld, I'd say go with the BM869S (~$250 shipped). As per the 500,000 count mode, that's just an increase in resolution, not accuracy.

Otherwise, a used bench meter would be a better value.

I have got my BM869 from TME.eu, good meter and no problem service from TME, so certainly do consider the option. It compares pretty well to the Fluke 87V.

Offline Nrkb

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2016, 11:56:07 pm »
TME is really nice but i'm in canada so theres a lot of fees from them using UPS or DHL or whatever.
Anyway thanks for all the suggestions, i got the Amprobe on amazon from the 4part youtube review i saw it's really good and accurate withing my budget, not like some of the 1000$+ suggestions some said haha just kidding ;) i wish i could afford that

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2016, 12:02:17 am »
TME is really nice but i'm in canada so theres a lot of fees from them using UPS or DHL or whatever.
Anyway thanks for all the suggestions, i got the Amprobe on amazon from the 4part youtube review i saw it's really good and accurate withing my budget, not like some of the 1000$+ suggestions some said haha just kidding ;) i wish i could afford that

Their shipping to Canada is 17.80€ per web site, DHL or UPS... I don't know about customs on your side..

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2016, 12:13:53 am »
If UPS, be prepared to get dinged at least $35 or $40 CDN for customs paper works alone plus Canada Customs GST and PST and duties/taxes.  It could easily come out to $60 CDN alone.

In addition, if the meter is faulty, sending it back to TME could cost the same amount when you price out a tracking number option.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2016, 12:41:02 am »
AFAIK most handhelds are optimised for measuring 50Hz AC and their accuracy isn't that good either so they are likely not very useful for calibration audio. AFAIK the cheapest option with a reasonable bandwidth (20kHz) and good accuracy is the Vici VC8145 bench model (around $160 on Ebay). The VC8145 has a dB mode for various reference impedances. You have to be careful with the input level though because that affects the accuracy due to the level range limit of the true-rms converters. That is the tradeoff in cheap DMMs: either a limited frequency range or a limited level range for true RMS AC measurements.

Oh, and continuity is instant on the VC8145.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 12:59:38 am by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline singapol

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2016, 03:45:05 am »
Added the Amprobe Am-140-A to that list.. seems like a good one and cheaper right?

Never used an Amprobe, so no comments from me.
But I would suggest Brymen 857, which is the OEM model of the Amprobe you've mentioned before.
Amprobe AM-140A=Brymen 857S=Extech MM560A, so pick the cheapest one if you want.

OP is smart to understand the amprobe is same as brymen 857s so I congratulate his wise selection.
That said meter is only assured to be in spec. for 1 year only , after that OP is on his own. ;D
It's either think philosophically or logically or be a voltnut. ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf