Author Topic: EMI problems @ 310MHz  (Read 1039 times)

Offline SHristovTopic starter

EMI problems @ 310MHz
« on: November 18, 2016, 08:47:11 am »
Hi everyone,

I'm working on project for information cluster. After one of the last EMI test we got report that when they turned on 310MHz@30V/m one of the internal monitoring systems kicked in.
That means that we have problem with the communication buses or some external IC is failing.
The problem is that the lab is in Germany and I'm in Bulgaria, and on top of that, we don't have any recorded logs and the next test is after 4 weeks.

Now my idea is to make some improvised EMI chamber, where I can test the device.
Does someone have experience in building one of these ?

I tried with one clock generator 10~250MHz, but I don't think, that I will be able to get the desired power output without any termination and proper antenna.
The "antenna" was directly next to the board, but the device was working fine.

p.p.
I was following Dave's videos for quite long time, but now I'm happy that I finally joined the forum.

Offline MF-jockey

• Contributor
Re: EMI problems @ 310MHz
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 11:31:26 am »
30V/m is a lot of RF energy! A picture of your solution will be helpful to think about your problem.

Have you an outside cable or wire with a quarter wave-length (round about 25 cm at 310MHz) going to sensible electronic parts?
May be you need a Faraday cage.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: EMI problems @ 310MHz
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 12:30:59 pm »
I high power tool with a series motor (like a 2kW angle grinder) is quite good in producing lots of RF interference at switch on. Not scientific at all but it may do the job. Otherwise you'd have to try and rent a local lab.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf