Author Topic: Back to back RS232 to Ethernet converters to extend RS232?  (Read 6720 times)

Offline e100Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Back to back RS232 to Ethernet converters to extend RS232?
« on: July 07, 2012, 02:39:02 pm »
Has anyone been able to use the cheap $25 RS232 to Ethernet converters you find on Ebay in a back to back configuration to extend RS232 over ethernet?
If it works then it's a big cost saving over purpose built RS232 entenders.
All I need is Tx and Rx to do remote comms with an Arduino.

Mike

alm

Re: Back to back RS232 to Ethernet converters to extend RS232?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 03:05:39 pm »
I believe the cheap ebay converters can only act as a TCP server, they require the other side to establish a TCP connection. One of them would require firmware modification. If they support both client and server mode, then you may be able to get it working. Possible pitfalls are lack of static addressing, an idle timeout that drops the connection until the client side receives data over the serial port, and lack of proper reconnect making the power-up sequence critical.

The professional Moxa NPort devices work fine in this configuration, but they are unlikely to be available for $25. They can be configured as client or server, and allow you to change timeouts and reconnect behavior.

Offline gxti

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 05:03:28 pm »
If you don't need to interface with any actual Ethernet equipment, you can run RS-422 over Cat-5 for 1000s of feet. There are lots of premade converters out there but they're also trivial to make. Just make sure the differential pairs line up with the twisted pairs in the Cat-5 cable. Also if you can get one with isolation, it'll save you a lot of potential headache later on.

Online PeterG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 05:01:06 am »
If you want to get a pair of Arduino boards talking over Ethernet, you could use the Arduino Ethernet boards and set up your communication over Ethernet between a pair of these boards. This would also offer greater speed than RS232 as well.

Regards
Testing one two three...

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 06:30:32 am »
As been suggested, IF you DON'T actually need Ethernet functionality then -
RS232, up to 38K4 Baud will travel 100Meters
Use a cheap RS422/485 chip and that extends to 1-2 KM, up to 76K8
Use a cheap mutimode fiber, TTL levels, ST or SC connections and go several KMs at 115KB+,
I've made 100s of all these and can post ccts if you need.
You can also go "radio", like the garage door kits, ~2400B, or 900MHz = 76K8 to 20KM.
Lots of options
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

Uncle Vernon

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 07:59:49 am »
I'll concur with those above.  Does the path include switches hubs routers etc? if the answer is now and your merely want to utilise Ethernet cables then consider using RS-485 or RS-422 connections would be the simplest option.

Alm suggested the Moxa device servers which can be set up point to point and work brilliantly, but they are not in the Arduino price bracket. Lantronix  have some device servers that will work but while much cheaper than the Moxa still don't get down to Arduino level prices. Take a look at some of the Xport modules theymay be able to be configured as point to point.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 08:23:34 am »
The particular problem I'm trying to solve is doing a remote firmware upgrade of an Arduino connected via Ethernet/TCPIP carried over mains wiring instead of CAT5. The Arduino is about 50m (150ft) from the nearest CAT5 cable and 70m (210ft) from the nearest computer with a number of solid brick walls in between.
The current Arduino bootloader only works with a serial connection so I need some of way piping serial data over TCPIP and turning it back into serial data at the Arduino end.

From cheapest to most expensive my options appear to be:
- Use two Xbee 60mW radios. I need the power because of the brick walls.
- Buy a TCPIP to RS232 converter ($150) for use at the Arduino end and install a virtual com port driver on the PC.
- Install 50m of CAT5 cable and conduit.
- Buy a netbook computer and plug it into the ethernet next to the Arduino, connect a USB cable to the Arduino and remote desktop from the other PC. I know this sounds like madness, but these things can be purchased new for $300 and recycled for other uses once the software development is finished.

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 08:58:06 am »
OK, that's a lot more complex scenario than your original question suggested. Needs rethinking.
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

Online PeterG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 09:03:43 am »
Thats a whole new can of worms......

Sending anything over power is not easy. I am thinking something similar to the old x10 modules.

Regards
Testing one two three...

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 09:22:32 am »
Thats a whole new can of worms......
Sending anything over power is not easy. I am thinking something similar to the old x10 modules.
Regards

The TCPIP over mains is the easy bit as I'm using NETCOMM NP204 mains adaptors for the house networking. I find them to be much more reliable and faster than WIFI. You plug them in, press a few buttons to pair them, then they just start working. They are convection cooled and run warm when active so they would be classed as domestic rather than professional quality units, but so far so good.

Offline notsob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 09:29:41 am »
lots of ethernet over the AC circuit stuff - "powerline" solutions

Netgear make one, TP-Link etc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PA201-Mini-200M-Powerline-Ethernet-Adapter-Pair-Button-/140596066011

Offline jhalar

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 09:48:24 am »
The particular problem I'm trying to solve is doing a remote firmware upgrade of an Arduino connected via Ethernet/TCPIP carried over mains wiring instead of CAT5. The Arduino is about 50m (150ft) from the nearest CAT5 cable and 70m (210ft) from the nearest computer with a number of solid brick walls in between.
The current Arduino bootloader only works with a serial connection so I need some of way piping serial data over TCPIP and turning it back into serial data at the Arduino end.

For accessing serial ports over tcpip I use terminal servers. These devices (depending on the capabilities of a brand) allow tcpip access to remote serial ports. Many available on the market with 1-48 ports. I use them to connect to the serial consoles of remote network devices.

Electronics and Network Engineer. Working in both worlds.

Uncle Vernon

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 10:07:15 am »
So much easier to help with a bit more detail provided.

From cheapest to most expensive my options appear to be:
- Use two Xbee 60mW radios. I need the power because of the brick walls.
Have a look at the hope transceivers, the prices are betterthan Xbee and they can be used direct the serial pins. Need a good connection though.

Buy a TCPIP to RS232 converter ($150) for use at the Arduino end and install a virtual com port driver on the PC.
Definitely will work just make sure they will connect point to point.

- Install 50m of CAT5 cable and conduit.
RS232 can be pushed a lit further than spec provided the baud rates are kept lowand the route is interference free. Cat5 parallel with your mains cable not such a good idea. For 50m like that you'd want a good screened data cable.

- Buy a netbook computer and plug it into the ethernet next to the Arduino, connect a USB cable to the Arduino and remote desktop from the other PC. I know this sounds like madness, but these things can be purchased new for $300 and recycled for other uses once the software development is finished.
Not silly at all. in fact if the data link isn't required after development, this is the cheapest of all the quoted options.

Offline markus_b

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2012, 11:34:47 am »
Don't you or a buddy has some older laptop lying around you can use for this. I just fished a older laptop out of the thrash two days ago, it will probably work fine, like the one I fished three months ago. You may also find one on craigslist or Ebay. (Almost) free PCs can be found, these days.
Markus

A good scientist is a person with original ideas. A good engineer is a person who makes a design that works with as few original ideas as possible.

alm

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2012, 11:52:02 am »
RS232 can be pushed a lit further than spec provided the baud rates are kept lowand the route is interference free. Cat5 parallel with your mains cable not such a good idea. For 50m like that you'd want a good screened data cable.
Converting to RS-422 might also be a feasible solution if a dedicated UTP cable is available.

You could do the same with those $25 ethernet to RS-232 interfaces. Just connect them temporarily, plug in the ethernet cable and load the firmware from a computer connected to the network somewhere.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf