Author Topic: 9V lithium primaries for multimeters?  (Read 4272 times)

Offline knotlogicTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
9V lithium primaries for multimeters?
« on: May 23, 2017, 03:39:21 am »
I think I may have asked about this quite a while back, but I recently had a thought and went looking for new information.

The question is, is it OK to use a 9 V lithium primary in a multimeter that normally uses alkalines?  I think at least one of the Keysight DMMs says yes in its manual, but not in their others.  The main benefit I see is that there's less of a worry about a leaking alkaline cell in a DMM that's only occasionally used.

Energizer has datasheets for their batteries, and I went to look at what they say about their 9 V alkaline, and their 9 V lithium.  According to their discharge plots, the alkaline starts at 9 V, and the lithium starts just a tiny bit above.  Eyeballing it, I'd say no more than 9.2 V.

Now on a meter like the U1252B that has a built in NiMH charging option, I believe I saw somewhere that an NiMH cell hot off the charger can be as high as 10 V.  If that is indeed the case, and the DMM can handle that, would that mean it's safe to make use of a 9 V lithium primary instead?

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
Re: 9V lithium primaries for multimeters?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 05:11:22 am »
Why don't you use an 8.4V Li-ion rechargeable?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 05:33:47 am »
It's an option, but I haven't seen any for sale here, and shipping restrictions on Li-ion makes that infeasible.

Offline PowerNet

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 05:41:08 am »
Would like to know this too.

Is it ok to use on a Fluke 87V ?

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 05:56:52 am »
As a general rule, I'd say you can use the 9V Lithium in just about anything that can use a 9V Alkaline. It'll last longer and have a better discharge curve before falling below the critical voltage of the meter. It'll also cost more.

Get a NiMH battery if you want to use a NiMH charging circuit....don't try to charge any other type of battery with it.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 05:58:37 am by Nusa »

The following users thanked this post: PowerNet

Offline exor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 06:10:57 am »
I have Fluke 87 (first version, +25 years old) and two Fluke 8025A’s and they all work well with 9 V lithiums.

The following users thanked this post: PowerNet, Marco1971

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 10:21:43 am »
I have Fluke 87 (first version, +25 years old) and two Fluke 8025A’s and they all work well with 9 V lithiums.

Same here. Using lithiums in 1997 vintage Fluke 87 with no issues. To Op....use with confidence.  :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 01:50:09 pm »
Thanks guys.  Though mine is a Keysight rather than a Fluke.  I'll let you know if anything explodes!  ;D

Get a NiMH battery if you want to use a NiMH charging circuit....don't try to charge any other type of battery with it.

Yep, don't plan on charging anything in the meter.  I'm looking at lithium primaries.  ;)

Online David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 03:09:23 pm »
There is no problem using lithium 9V batteries to replace alkaline 9V batteries however the economics are questionable and leakage is less of a problem with alkaline 9V batteries because they are double enclosed.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 05:02:02 pm »
I can't see any reason why not. I use an 8.4V LSD NiMH in my Fluke 87 and it's been great. I have two of them and just swap them when one gets low and put the other on the charger.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf