Products > Test Equipment

"FDC failure" on scope

(1/5) > >>

Aldobrandi:
Hi folks,

So I am eying this Agilent 54810A scope on ebay and it's got an "FDC failure" error message on boot. For those who know these machines, what's the likelihood that it'll be a simple fix, i.e. a replacement of the floppy drive and/or of its controller? It seems like a good deal but I wanted to see with you before I commit to spend several hundred dollars and all I get for my money is a brick  :-DD

Thanks in advance!

SeanB:
FDC failure means the drive has died. Either you get a replacement, or fix it, the normal thing is dust and dirt blocking the optical sensing parts, and thus the controller doing the self test does not get an expected result, as it drives the head to zero, then steps back out to check it is getting a track 0 response, and checking the size and write protect switches. Another fault is a dead drive motor, as the track index pulse magnet has fallen off.

Aldobrandi:
Thanks a lot SeanB for your quick reply! I'll take a stab at fixing it and will come back to report how it went.

Jerome.

Wuerstchenhund:

--- Quote from: Aldobrandi on May 04, 2013, 02:26:53 am ---So I am eying this Agilent 54810A scope on ebay and it's got an "FDC failure" error message on boot. For those who know these machines, what's the likelihood that it'll be a simple fix, i.e. a replacement of the floppy drive and/or of its controller?
--- End quote ---

Hard to say, it can be a defective floppy drive (or one that's full with dirt), but we had a few cases where the floppy controller (if I remember right a separate SuperI/O controller on the mainboard) in our 54810A died, which meant having to replace the mainboard.

Aldobrandi:

--- Quote from: Wuerstchenhund on May 04, 2013, 03:21:43 pm ---
--- Quote from: Aldobrandi on May 04, 2013, 02:26:53 am ---So I am eying this Agilent 54810A scope on ebay and it's got an "FDC failure" error message on boot. For those who know these machines, what's the likelihood that it'll be a simple fix, i.e. a replacement of the floppy drive and/or of its controller?
--- End quote ---

Hard to say, it can be a defective floppy drive (or one that's full with dirt), but we had a few cases where the floppy controller (if I remember right a separate SuperI/O controller on the mainboard) in our 54810A died, which meant having to replace the mainboard.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for your reply Wuerstchenhund, I'm crossing my fingers hoping that I don't have to change the motherboard! We'll see.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version