Products > Test Equipment

A few specific questions for SDS2000X HD owners (or possibly any SDS owners)

(1/8) > >>

Spike:
Hey all,

I currently have two scopes, an old Tek 2465A CT and a LeCroy LC574AL.  I absolutely love both of them.  The Tek because, you know, old school analog goodness, and the LeCroy because I'm constantly amazed at how capable it is despite pushing toward being 30 years old.

The Tek covers my basic needs when I just need to look at a waveform and the LeCroy comes out when I need an FFT or more bandwidth (seldom).  The thing is that I find myself avoiding the LeCroy more and more because it is just so loud that I need hearing protection to use it.  Well that and all the lights in the neighborhood dim when I turn it on.

So despite my love for these scopes I'm in the process of shopping for a modern scope that I can use for most tasks while keeping the other two for special needs.  It is insanely daunting with all the current choices but at the moment the Siglent SDS2204X HD is the leading contender (I'd love that to be the 2354 but it kind of takes me outside my budget).  Some specific questions I have thus far and not been able to find answers to are:

* For the logic analyzer functionality, is there any way to have custom decoders?  The only analyzer I currently have is a USB based one, the DSLogic U3Pro which uses a version of sigrok for which I was able to write a custom decoder for a flavor of MFM.  It's not a deal breaker but I wonder if this sort of thing is possible.
* Can the Bode plot functionality be used with Siglent function generators other than the SDG X series?  I have an older SDG5000 unit and wonder whether it can be used (siglent seems to imply no).  I know I can use the built-in generator in the scope but my SDG has a greater frequency range.
For folks more familiar with Siglent itself and their business practices:

* There is a current promotion for a bundle that includes logic probe and some licenses for function gen and decoders and whatnot.  The problem I'm having is that this scope does not seem to be in stock anywhere and the lead times extend past the end of this promotion.  Would I be screwing myself if I did not make a purchase before then or does siglent run these promotions all the time?
* Finally, what's the likelihood that I'd be able to find discounted bandwidth upgrade?  350Mhz seems like the sweet spot for me but as mentioned it takes me over my budget a bit.  I've seen various accounts of folks getting bandwidth upgrades everwhere from free to full price.  Do they ever (often) run promotions on these?

KungFuJosh:
I wouldn't worry too much about the bandwidth, that kind if thing can be "improved" later if you're crafty. The BW sale might happen eventually if you're not into other methods of improvement.

That's a great choice of scope, and if you want it, I would certainly place the order before the promotion ends. Worst case scenario, you can cancel your order or return it within the return period if you're not happy.

I don't know the answer regarding your older SDG model, but it might be possible via USB. The X models I believe generally also have ethernet. @tautech might know.

Thanks,
Josh

tautech:

--- Quote from: Spike on May 23, 2024, 10:10:03 pm ---It is insanely daunting with all the current choices but at the moment the Siglent SDS2204X HD is the leading contender (I'd love that to be the 2354 but it kind of takes me outside my budget).  Some specific questions I have thus far and not been able to find answers to are:

Can the Bode plot functionality be used with Siglent function generators other than the SDG X series?  I have an older SDG5000 unit and wonder whether it can be used (siglent seems to imply no).  I know I can use the built-in generator in the scope but my SDG has a greater frequency range.

--- End quote ---

From the SDS2000X HD datasheet P12
Bode Plot
Supported signal sources:
Built-in waveform generator
SAG1021I (Connection: USB),
SDG series waveform generators (Connection: USB, LAN)

Max frequency for FRA/Bode plot is 120 MHz and your SDG5000 is capable of 160 MHz max.

--- Quote ---For folks more familiar with Siglent itself and their business practices:

There is a current promotion for a bundle that includes logic probe and some licenses for function gen and decoders and whatnot.  The problem I'm having is that this scope does not seem to be in stock anywhere and the lead times extend past the end of this promotion.  Would I be screwing myself if I did not make a purchase before then or does siglent run these promotions all the time?
--- End quote ---
They come and go.
Current promo which is a steal IMHO:
SDS2XHD-BND must be purchased with a new scope.
https://siglentna.com/news-article/permanent-analysis-bundle-on-your-new-oscilloscope/

--- Quote ---
* Finally, what's the likelihood that I'd be able to find discounted bandwidth upgrade?  350Mhz seems like the sweet spot for me but as mentioned it takes me over my budget a bit.  I've seen various accounts of folks getting bandwidth upgrades everwhere from free to full price.  Do they ever (often) run promotions on these?
--- End quote ---
Rare but occasionally offered with a new purchase.
Nothing offered at present.

Spike:

--- Quote from: tautech on May 23, 2024, 11:40:54 pm ---
--- Quote from: Spike on May 23, 2024, 10:10:03 pm ---It is insanely daunting with all the current choices but at the moment the Siglent SDS2204X HD is the leading contender (I'd love that to be the 2354 but it kind of takes me outside my budget).  Some specific questions I have thus far and not been able to find answers to are:

Can the Bode plot functionality be used with Siglent function generators other than the SDG X series?  I have an older SDG5000 unit and wonder whether it can be used (siglent seems to imply no).  I know I can use the built-in generator in the scope but my SDG has a greater frequency range.

--- End quote ---

From the SDS2000X HD datasheet P12
Bode Plot
Supported signal sources:
Built-in waveform generator
SAG1021I (Connection: USB),
SDG series waveform generators (Connection: USB, LAN)

Max frequency for FRA/Bode plot is 120 MHz and your SDG5000 is capable of 160 MHz max.

--- End quote ---

Ah!  Thanks for that.  Was looking on the product pages for other SDS scopes (notably the SDS1104X-E on the North America site) and saw:

Bode Plot function (requires SIGLENT SDG X or SAG1021 function generator)

Your answer is most welcome news.
Any idea about the custom decoders?

rfindley:
I was in a similar boat as you.  I have a LeCroy 564A 4ch 1GHz scope, bought almost 20yrs ago from the liquidation of a failed startup company.  It's fully loaded, in nearly perfect condition, but it's super heavy and super loud.  Barely fits on my bench beside what I'm measuring, and I can't take it on the road.  And the number of times I've smashed my fingers trying to get that thing on and off the shelf...  >:(

I just got a Siglent SDS3034X HD (350MHz) as a line-item on a project, and I'll be using it for travel.  If I could have afforded the 1GHz license, I would sell the LeCroy in a heartbeat.

Anyway, I don't think the Siglent scopes have any built-in support for custom decoders, which would likely be competition for their own decoder options.  But you mentioned Sigrok...   The sigrok documentation lists support for the SDS2000X series.  I'm sure you are more familiar with Sigrok than I am, so maybe that tells you something about likely support for the SDS2000X HD.

When I get some free time, I plan to learn a bit more about Sigrok and see if it can support the SDS3000X HD.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version