Products > Test Equipment

Multimeters that do not appear to meet their safety specs.

<< < (43/45) > >>

Lightages:
Thanks. I missed my interactions here too.

dylanmitchell:
What companies always meet or exceed listed specs? Fluke, Agilent/ Keysight? Others?

Didn't see Fluke on the list but Amprobe was on there.

Lightages:
If I were to try to name the companies that always meet listed specs, it would be a very short list. I would say, with reservation, that you could basically pick up an new meter from Fluke, Keysight, Brymen, Amprobe, Hioki, Yokogawa, and be sure you have a meter that actually is as "safe" as it claims. That is not to say that Flir, or others would be equally as good just that I don't have enough experience with them to say anything useful.

The point of this thread is not to say that the meters listed are unsafe in any circumstance. The point is to point out the flaws. Safety is not just about the meter. The idiot holding the meter has more to do with safety than does the meter. But if you trust a meter to do what it says and it can't and the specs are a lie then you need to know so you can adjust your behavior to be safer.

ElektroHS:

--- Quote from: Lightages on December 05, 2020, 02:37:43 pm ---If I were to try to name the companies that always meet listed specs, it would be a very short list. I would say, with reservation, that you could basically pick up an new meter from Fluke, Keysight, Brymen, Amprobe, Hioki, Yokogawa, and be sure you have a meter that actually is as "safe" as it claims. That is not to say that Flir, or others would be equally as good just that I don't have enough experience with them to say anything useful.

The point of this thread is not to say that the meters listed are unsafe in any circumstance. The point is to point out the flaws. Safety is not just about the meter. The idiot holding the meter has more to do with safety than does the meter. But if you trust a meter to do what it says and it can't and the specs are a lie then you need to know so you can adjust your behavior to be safer.

--- End quote ---

you are right... any electrical device is "dangerous" in case of incorrect usage. Therefore "end-user" should follow all rules to be safe... otherwise the result of incorrect usage even certified meters can be ended not so good.

Andrew LB:

--- Quote from: exit_failure on June 23, 2020, 10:12:54 am ---UL or any other similar testing institution will only do the test you ask them to do. So being UL listed may for example only mean that they tested it for environmental or fire safety or but not electrical safety and then the CAT rating may just as much be a lie as for any 5 dollar meter from aliexpress.

--- End quote ---

What you say is no longer the case. To have a meter UL listed it must adhere to the adopted IEC standards and include category overvoltage testing to ensure compliance. UL610101 and IEC610101

The old standards found in IEC348 and UL1244 did not require cat compliance.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version