Author Topic: A look at the Uni-T UT210E  (Read 440573 times)

Offline shved

• Regular Contributor
Re: A look at the Uni-T UT210E
« Reply #750 on: August 07, 2020, 01:13:47 pm »
I've got parcel from Aliexpress today, everything is OK.
Any advise on lithium battery upgrade? I'm sic of leaky AAA's.

Offline Brian of Romsey

• Contributor
« Reply #751 on: August 09, 2020, 12:14:14 pm »
Hi,

I too had been thinking about rechargables.  My idea was micro USB or USB C, then a Li-Ion charger (with protection), a single cell, over discharge protection, a 5 Volt boost converter (maybe the same chip as the charger), and a 5 V to 3.3 V DC-DC isolator / converter which will keep the USB side isolated from any high voltages on the probes.  This is the sort of DC-DC I'm thinking of: https://au.rs-online.com/web/p/isolated-dc-dc-converters/1675944/ although there are many to choose from.  A home-brew, transformer based, SMPS taking 2.8 to 4.5 Volts in and delivering 3.1 Volts out shouldn't be hard - it's just outside my skill set.

Brian.

Offline shved

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #752 on: August 12, 2020, 07:14:02 am »

The following users thanked this post: cdev

Offline shved

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #753 on: August 12, 2020, 03:51:09 pm »
I have a question, not technical, but question nevertheless:
I've got a broken zip on the case(bag thing), how to fix it?
Aliexpress seller doesn't respond.

Offline brainwash

• Frequent Contributor
    • Hack Correlation
« Reply #754 on: August 18, 2020, 12:14:14 am »
Re: zipper - you just need to run it all the way back, at the start, forcefully. You might need to deform it a bit to get it there, and press it back. If you do it too much, you will break the zipper head.

Demagnetizing:
I've received the cheap Amazon demagnetizer today and tested it: it makes short work of any magnetized tools, so I can highly recommend it. My drill thingie was not even half as effective as this gadget. On the UT-210, I have a -0.170mA offset after many demagnetizing tries, which probably means that's the true zero. For ~8$ seems like a must-have tool around the shop.
It gets hot after using it for a while, even in pulses.

The following users thanked this post: Marco1971, shved

Offline shved

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #755 on: August 19, 2020, 03:38:49 pm »
Thanks brainwash but that didn't work.

My patience run out and I've manhandled the zip(plastic teeth part itself) in to position with big pliers. Surprisingly, it worked, I thought that I'll break something. I think that prefabricated zip was (possibly CNC machine) sawed in with the end piece unzipped and misaligned. In such bulk operations some misses are inevitable.

Anyway, it looks to be OK now.

Disclaimer: I do not advise you to rip on your zips with heavy-duty pliers, this may result in damage. Only last resort option. 

Offline Connecteur

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #756 on: September 02, 2020, 04:50:27 pm »
I opted to pay a bit more by buying mine from Amazon instead of chancing a fake on Ali-Express.  I am very pleased with it and impressed by it's accuracy.  I had been looking for a clamp-ammeter that measures DC for a long time, and I got fooled a few times when they claimed to measure DC, but it was only through the leads.  Recently I was surprised when I had it set to the 20A range, and the current was above 20 amps. It autoranged to the next higher range. Something I hadn't expected.

Offline Connecteur

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #757 on: September 02, 2020, 04:52:53 pm »
I have a question, not technical, but question nevertheless:
I've got a broken zip on the case(bag thing), how to fix it?
Aliexpress seller doesn't respond.
I think the reason they don't respond is because they are likely brokers with no access to spare parts, nor any inclination for dealing in them.  You can probably locate a cheap case online with adequate dimensions; that's what I'd do.

The following users thanked this post: Simon_RL

Offline shved

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #758 on: September 04, 2020, 01:30:24 pm »
Thanks Connecteur.
I've already fixed the zip with pliers. It's OK for now.

Offline Burnst81

« Reply #759 on: September 21, 2020, 10:18:50 am »
Hey Folks, im very new to this.. freshly made an account here, cause i dont know how to proceed...

I really hope someone could help me here..

I´ve made this Issue in Github to the UT210E

https://github.com/bdlow/UT210E/issues/2

"bdlow" told me maybe to ask here for help.

I can´t read or write to my EEPROM anymore. Also, if i put the UT210E together again and power it on, it just says "ErrE". I modded it 2 times successfully. Before i tried the 3rd time, i recognized there was a soldered pin loose. So i soldered it tight again. The only thing that could be possible is, that the ground and the 3,3V pin had a short contact to each other. Does this instantly kill the EEPROM Chip? 

I dont think it is the connection, cause it worked fine several minutes before.

Is there a way to reset or to rescue my EEPROM? Or do i really need to change the Chip?

Really big thanks for any advice given from you!!

Offline shved

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #760 on: September 21, 2020, 09:57:05 pm »
Do you have a spare eeprom chip and eeprom programmer?
Have you saved unmodified hex/bin dump of the rom?
I personally do not like those arduino mods, because some of them leave you with no backup. I prefer old school hardware programmer + Hex dump methods exactly for this reason. But "in the heat of a moment" i'am not above using clamps and crock -clips, but only after i have workable backup.

Also your loose connections may have damaged some stuff, but you can buzz that out easily enough.

Offline brainwash

• Frequent Contributor
    • Hack Correlation
« Reply #761 on: September 25, 2020, 04:51:14 am »
The arduino sketch saves a backup, you just have to fetch it from the serial monitor. Without it, some calibration data is lost.
I don't think there's any functional difference between the arduino hookup and a real hardware programmer, they talk to the chip in the same way.

Is the sketch able to read the chip back? If yes, the problem is likely soldering on the board. If not, the chip is likely bad.

Offline Connecteur

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #762 on: September 25, 2020, 06:19:22 pm »
I'm very happy with mine. It meets all my expectations.  If I had a problem with it and the manufacturer wouldn't offer any warranty, I wouldn't mind buying another one for $60 on Amazon.  I might save a few bucks on AliExpress, but you run the risk of getting a fake, instructions in Chinese and perhaps taking months to ship.

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
« Reply #763 on: October 05, 2020, 11:47:10 am »
A nice presentation and explanation of calibrating the UT210E by modify the EEPROM entries:

Calibrating and hacking the UNI-T UT210E clamp meter
by TheHWCave
https://youtu.be/Vj6b-clYTis

The following users thanked this post: BravoV, Trader, SmokedComponent

Offline Trader

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #764 on: October 30, 2020, 06:14:44 am »
The UT210E Pro can also be hacked to 10,000 counts?

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore

Online Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #765 on: October 30, 2020, 11:52:00 am »
It would be interesting to know if the regular 210E could be fitted with the Pro firmware, so it could be able to also measure frequency  ::)

EDIT: Or the 210E be changed to do it. What's the Pro controller chip?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 11:55:43 am by Mortymore »

The following users thanked this post: Trader

Offline DentDude

« Reply #766 on: November 05, 2020, 06:33:14 am »
Hi guys, I just performed the mod on my UT210E using the info in the latest JAY_i2cArduino210E.ino.  Everything works great.  Regarding the extra modes added to the NCV function, I've read the 2nd function is NCV with a mV display (added when address 9C is programmed with the value 02), but what is the third NCV function (added when address AC is programmed with the value 1D)?  That is not really described anywhere when I was reading through this thread.

Offline brainwash

• Frequent Contributor
    • Hack Correlation
« Reply #767 on: November 06, 2020, 07:58:03 am »
It shows Amps instead of mVolts so perhaps it's the RMS current of the voltage detection module? It looks like the mV measurement but has different values, did not look into it. It also beeps at higher values, like the normal detection mode.

The following users thanked this post: DentDude

Offline Stinger

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #768 on: November 13, 2020, 11:50:49 am »
It would be interesting to know if the regular 210E could be fitted with the Pro firmware, so it could be able to also measure frequency  ::)

EDIT: Or the 210E be changed to do it. What's the Pro controller chip?
The UT-211B can measure frequencies, and measure mA in 6000 counts with dot. Maybe different hardware.

Offline SmokedComponent

• Regular Contributor
  • Emitting smoke
« Reply #769 on: November 13, 2020, 01:45:33 pm »
Has anyone hacked Voltcraft VC-330 yet? Just asking out of caution (is it really 100% same firmware/hardware as "original" UT210E) so that I don't brick it.

Offline shved

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #770 on: November 13, 2020, 03:09:52 pm »
Check out yourself

The following users thanked this post: SmokedComponent

Offline axialflux

« Reply #771 on: December 01, 2020, 01:53:27 pm »
Recently there have been a few extremely cheap uni-t 210e's on ebay, for around $13.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/UNI-T-UT210E-Digital-Clamp-Meter-Multimeter-Handheld-RMS-DC-AC-Mini-Resistanc/373344607659?

This seems absurdly cheap, considering that they are normally sold for more than $40. So I am wondering if any of you guys bought that meter and are experiencing any problems, or have a similar counterfeit meter

Offline shved

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #772 on: December 01, 2020, 03:07:31 pm »
13$ is to suspicious. The seller is too new and has almost no feedback.

I've bought one on Aliexpress for ~30-40$ and everything went well, except I've got a bag with a broken zipper, since fixed. The meter is genuine, I've compared it with my friends unit that he bought in official local reseller shop. 

In your place I would hunt for some coupons and black Friday deals and buy from more established shops or sellers.

Offline LeonR

• Regular Contributor
  • PC hardware enthusiast
« Reply #773 on: December 02, 2020, 12:40:25 am »
Recently there have been a few extremely cheap uni-t 210e's on ebay, for around $13.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/UNI-T-UT210E-Digital-Clamp-Meter-Multimeter-Handheld-RMS-DC-AC-Mini-Resistanc/373344607659?

This seems absurdly cheap, considering that they are normally sold for more than $40. So I am wondering if any of you guys bought that meter and are experiencing any problems, or have a similar counterfeit meter

Seems like a scammer to me... Look at their reputation as seller: All four of them left by 0 rep buyers.

I bet you'll get a subpar working unit if you receive anything at all.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #774 on: December 07, 2020, 02:33:43 am »
Here we go again!

What is it the French call it, "deja-vu"?

To be honest, I fell for one of these scams but of course the meter never arrived, I got refunded and I ended up finding a genuine brand new one from a seller right near me for $35, snapped it up and now its several years later and the little thing is just great. So what I am saying is keep looking. maybe the original model is getting discounted. But I doubt it it will be discounted that much.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf