Author Topic: About to buy an oscilloscope  (Read 6007 times)

Offline zitmanTopic starter

• Contributor
About to buy an oscilloscope
« on: October 28, 2013, 09:19:19 am »
Hi All,

Within the next few weeks I am going to buy a digital storage  'scope.  I currently have an analogue scope.  Following some research I have got a short list of two scopes and was wondering what the considered opinion of them was and whether there were any other alternatives to consider.  I have a budget of 300UKP and am very much a beginner in electronics and want a 'scope I can use to learn with, both in terms of how to use the 'scope itself and of course to help me explore electronics further.  To date most of my projects have been Arduino or Raspberry Pi based although I have built some other projects. 

(very) Short list:
Siglent SDS2102
Rigol DS1052E

All thoughts appreciated.

Z

Offline danb35

• Contributor
Re: About to buy an oscilloscope
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 10:35:09 am »
There are a lot of threads on this subject already, and the search feature will be very helpful for you.  However, with your budget, I'd be looking hard at the Rigol 1000Z series.  Compared to the 1052E, it has 4 channels instead of 2, a larger screen, better UI, better features, and is just generally a newer design.  It starts around $600US, which should be pretty close to your 300 GBP mark.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 10:57:14 am »
There are a lot of threads on this subject already, and the search feature will be very helpful for you.  However, with your budget, I'd be looking hard at the Rigol 1000Z series.  Compared to the 1052E, it has 4 channels instead of 2, a larger screen, better UI, better features, and is just generally a newer design.  It starts around $600US, which should be pretty close to your 300 GBP mark.
300GBP would be a tad short of $600USD, unfortunately (~$486USD according to xe.com).  Not sure what the UK cost would be, as they and the rest of the EU seem to be gouged badly, and the price may not include VAT (20%?).

It would be a nice scope to have though, and might warrant a budget increase if it's within reason there (i.e. not jumping from 300GBP to 1kGBP or similar insanity).

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 11:21:36 am »
Thanks both.

I had done a search but it is confusing as a lot of the scopes being talked about are difficult, if not impossible, to find in the UK.  I am not averse to buying from China but with something like this I would prefer a UK source.

I have been unable to find the Rigol 1000Z series on offer here yet.  The Rigol UK site (which I believe is a distributor for Rigol rather than Rigol themselves) list a 1000B series but the base model DS1074B starts at 586UKP  which is almost double what I was considering.

I will do some more searching for that Rigol model.  Any thoughts on the Siglent?  There are only three posts here when I search.  The specs seen reasonable and the screen looks OK but the only stuff that seems to be around appears to be Siglent marketing bumf.

Thanks

Z

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 11:27:48 am »
I have been unable to find the Rigol 1000Z series on offer here yet.

It would be well worth waiting for IMO, if it's affordable in the UK? (or importable?)

Offline Whuffo

• Regular Contributor
  • An American Living In Paradise
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 11:40:54 am »
I just bought a brand new Rigol DS1052E from China; it'll be delivered to my door in a day or two. $285 US, and it's a well known unit - bugs worked out, mature firmware. After I check and verify it, I'll load the "firmware improvement" and be happy with my cute little 100 MHz DSO scope.

It's low end stuff, but it's perfectly suitable for my needs - I could spend lots more and get more bells and whistles, but the added expense wouldn't be cost effective. I find the small size attractive; my work space is a bit crowded and every square centimeter is precious.

Your opinion may vary; figure out what you need from a scope (not what you want) - then choose accordingly.

Offline frenky

• Supporter
    • Frenki.net
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 12:30:58 pm »
I have been unable to find the Rigol 1000Z series on offer here yet.  The Rigol UK site (which I believe is a distributor for Rigol rather than Rigol themselves) list a 1000B series but the base model DS1074B starts at 586UKP  which is almost double what I was considering.
You didn't find this? http://www.batronix.com/shop/oscilloscopes/Rigol-DS1074Z.html

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 08:52:15 am »
No didn't see that one.  I narrowed my search to UK sellers so missed it.  Will do some research to find out what the VAT, import taxes / duties are and widen the search I think. Gonna have to save a bit more I think!

Thanks all

A

Offline ElectroIrradiator

• Frequent Contributor
  • More analog than digital.
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 08:59:58 am »
No didn't see that one.  I narrowed my search to UK sellers so missed it.  Will do some research to find out what the VAT, import taxes / duties are and widen the search I think. Gonna have to save a bit more I think!

Batronix is in Germany, so there are no import tax/VAT issues for UK customers.

Offline max-bit

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 09:48:26 am »
low price  1052
Better .. 1074 ...
Best 2xxx

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 10:29:19 am »
Thanks again.

ElectroIrradiator - I take it I still pay the VAT (or its equivalent) in Germany?

Max-Bit - I am strongly of the opinion that the 1074 is the way to go.  Just need to save a bit more!

Cheers

Z

Offline ElectroIrradiator

• Frequent Contributor
  • More analog than digital.
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, 12:01:13 pm »
Thanks again.

ElectroIrradiator - I take it I still pay the VAT (or its equivalent) in Germany?

Yes, German VAT of 19% is added before checkout, unless you can provide a VAT exemption number from a company.

So as shipping is free within the EU, the price for the DS1074Z would be 450 EUR * 1.19 = 535.5 EUR ~ 456 UKP.

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 04:26:44 pm »
Well there is a new twist.

My gaffer has just come in and said he was going to give me £100 bonus but has just ordered a me the Siglent 'scope instead!  (didn't realise he was listening when I was talking to a colleague or he has installed web usage monitoring software!)

Found it difficult to argue, at least it's something to learn on and if it turns out to be rubbish or I outgrow it then I can sell it on.

So thanks to everyone for their contributions and I will let you know how I get on with it.

Z

Offline Dave Turner

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2013, 01:30:28 pm »
You might note that the Rigol UK site has been updated, it now redirects to http://jetpb.qjyzk.servertrust.com/Default.asp#.UnTq5ic7eSo.  They also have the DS1000Z in stock.

Their prices taking into account VAT are similar but note that Batronix shipping to the UK is free on orders over 400 euro. I haven't found out the cost of shipping from the Rigol UK site yet. Against that is the cost of changing GBP to Euro if buying from Batronix. I suspect that there isn't much in it.

Offline gmb42

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2013, 10:50:11 pm »
Rigol UK seem to be charging £10 for standard UK shipping

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf