Author Topic: AC/DC current probe for scope  (Read 10590 times)

Offline serggioTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
AC/DC current probe for scope
« on: May 31, 2017, 08:19:27 pm »
I'm looking for AC/DC current probe for using with scope/multimeter primary for working with inverters, switch mode PSU and etc. So I need BW limit up to 100 kHz (while some PSU have 130 kHz PWM, that might be issue for 100 kHz probe).
I considering Fluke 80i-110s, Fluke i30s.
Keysight 1146B, probably OEM Fluke 80i-110s.
30-50 A DC would be enough for my task (I know that close to AC BW limit long time current much less than specified MAX current).
Any suggestion, experience with AC/DC current probes welcomed.
Any alternative suppler with outstanding characteristic/quality and reasonable price? 

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: AC/DC current probe for scope
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 09:11:40 pm »
I'd look at the CP05 current probes on Ebay. There are several types with different ranges and bandwidths. Another option is to use a low-side current shunt (=resistor) but then your scope's ground must be the same as the circuit ground. A differential amplifier may help to allow a few volt difference between your scope and the circuit under test.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 09:46:08 pm »
Current shunt will requre intrusion in the circuit. I need non-intrusive measurement.
Who is CP05 supplier? Any experience with that probes?

Offline 1audio

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 06:07:52 am »
The Fluke clamp-on AC-DC probe is good for many tasks but it drifts with time and temperature so the zero needs to be checked. Its pretty big so its not convenient for tight spaces but its affordable. However if you are seriously getting into the tasks listed the tek DC current probes are a more useful investment with much better bandwidth. (Oops, I just checked the current prices on eBay. Wow. Sorry I recommended them.) This may be an OK option : http://www.ebay.com/itm/CA-60-Handheld-60-Amp-AC-DC-Current-Clamp-Probe-Red-/172633979646?hash=item2831c97afe:g:2uoAAOSwzqFY-Evx  https://pdimeters.com/docs/pdf/manuals/CA-60.pdf  Still 20 KHz max. You may be able to find a hall effect pickup http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hall-Effect-Current-Sensor-For-Hobbyist-Arduino-Compatible-AC-75A-DC-100A-/232274798820?hash=item3614a828e4:g:af4AAOSw9N1VvmLD  that will do the task.

Offline noidea

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 07:20:02 am »
I'm looking for AC/DC current probe for using with scope/multimeter primary for working with inverters, switch mode PSU and etc. So I need BW limit up to 100 kHz (while some PSU have 130 kHz PWM, that might be issue for 100 kHz probe).
I considering Fluke 80i-110s, Fluke i30s.
Keysight 1146B, probably OEM Fluke 80i-110s.
30-50 A DC would be enough for my task (I know that close to AC BW limit long time current much less than specified MAX current).
Any suggestion, experience with AC/DC current probes welcomed.
Any alternative suppler with outstanding characteristic/quality and reasonable price?

The OEM for these probes is AEMC / Chauvin Arnoux
AEMC p/n is SL261
Chauvin Arnoux p/n is E3N

The following users thanked this post: serggio

• Regular Contributor
AC/DC current probe for scope
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 08:14:45 am »
The Fluke clamp-on AC-DC probe is good for many tasks but it drifts with time and temperature so the zero needs to be checked. Its pretty big so its not convenient for tight spaces but its affordable. However if you are seriously getting into the tasks listed the tek DC current probes are a more useful investment with much better bandwidth. (Oops, I just checked the current prices on eBay. Wow. Sorry I recommended them.)
Yes, there many outstanding solutions like R&S[emoji768]RT-ZC20, Keysight N2783B, probably some OEM supplier. Interesting who is? And of course Tek probes.
But price is disaster for purchase it just hobbies..
So, except of non-name Chinese manufacturer (will not consider it yet), Fluke i30S looks more reasonable for it's bandwidth (-0,5 dB gain loss at 100 kHz) and price of course.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 09:55:44 am by serggio »

Offline JFJ

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 11:38:21 am »
Current shunt will requre intrusion in the circuit. I need non-intrusive measurement.

The TTi Aim I-prober 520 may meet that requirement. Please see Dave's review:

They're expensive to buy new, but the used price on eBay is starting to become more reasonable (the last two sold for GBP 211.15 and 369.00, in May).

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 02:49:26 pm »
Who is CP05 supplier? Any experience with that probes?
I have a CP-05A and it works as it should. I bought it from China through Ebay.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 03:50:28 pm »
The Fluke 80i-110s is the same as the Keysight 1146B, and the Tektronix A622
They are all made by AMEC, Model SL261

I have a brand new Fluke 80i-110s for sale, if you are interested.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017, 04:26:56 pm »
Thank HighVoltage,
I still considering which one probe is better for me.
While Fluke i30S bigger in size, it have flat mv:A ratio in all diapason (0-30A) that is 1:10, when SL261 have same ratio only for 0-10A and 1:100 for 10-80A
Same time i30S have 50 Ohm output and easy to use with scopes and DMMs, when SL261 have 1MOhm and probably work good only with high impedance DMMs.
Also for frequency response, i30S more preferable. Top diagram for i30S, bottom - for SL261
Any case you can send me offer in PM.

I have a CP-05A and it works as it should. I bought it from China through Ebay.
Probably it work well, but have you any datasheet for CP-05A?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 05:50:21 pm by serggio »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 05:00:38 pm »
I've checked my CP-05A recently and the 200kHz bandwidth claim is true. I also checked it a couple of times to see if the DC current is within a reasonable value and that is also correct. You have to realise that these clamp style current probes use Hall effect sensors which are sensitive to external fields, have a lot of noise and are not very accurate (expect 2% to 3%). The CP-05A costs little over $100 so it is not a particulary cheap device.

Whatever you buy make sure it has a BNC lead all the way into the probe to prevent extra noise to enter into your scope.

Offline PA4TIM

• Super Contributor
  • instruments are like rabbits, they multiply fast
    • PA4TIMs shelter for orphan measurement stuff
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2017, 05:03:41 pm »
I have the TTi Aim I-prober 520, very pleased with it. BW and resolution is enough for me for most cases.  I also have a P6042 (probably the most famous and best AC+DC current probe,the probe itself is made for decades ) but use the iprober more. At first only for current in traces or through components but because it is is 1V=1A it is more handy on a DSO then the Tek with the seperate amp that wants the scope at 50mV div. So now I also use it with the clamp that comes with it.
http://schneiderelectronicsrepair.nl/?p=518 in the last two pictures I use it to check if a relais coil gets current

I do not know the CP-05 but is 100kHz still usable ? That limits it to 20 kHz squarewaves and makes it useless for modern smps's
The specs: 20mA noise and 1mA resolution ?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 05:08:44 pm by PA4TIM »
www.pa4tim.nl my collection measurement gear and experiments Also lots of info about network analyse
www.schneiderelectronicsrepair.nl  repair of test and calibration equipment
https://www.youtube.com/user/pa4tim my youtube channel

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2017, 05:22:37 pm »
The current is (almost) never a square wave in an SMPS. But there is also a CP-07B which goes to 1MHz and is priced around $250.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 05:24:09 pm by nctnico »

Offline casinada

• Frequent Contributor

Offline H.O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2017, 06:09:32 pm »
The CP-07 seems to exist in a whole range of probes:

CP-07   4A - 500kHz
CP-07+ 400mA / 4A - 1MHz
CP-07A 100mA / 1A - 30kHz
CP-07B 4A / 40A - 1MHz
CP-07C 10A - 5MHz

I'm considering getting a CP-07B to join my noisy and drifty Tektronix.

Offline casinada

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2017, 09:32:51 pm »
so the CP-07+ is better for low currents compared to the CP-07B ? :-//

Who makes this probes?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 09:34:22 pm by casinada »

Offline H.O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2017, 05:16:57 am »
Yes, between those two the CP-07+ would be better, same bandwidth, higher sensitivity but it "only" goes to 4A. Or the CP07A for even lower currents but less bandwidth.

I don't know who the OEM is.

Offline Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2017, 08:46:21 am »
I'd do a bit of research into the CP-?? models before buying - I recall that others on the forum looked at their performance and some of the specs were "optimistic".

If you need super low cost and can deal without the convenience of a clamp-on probe then some of the LEM transducers do over 100kHz for not much money.

Offline Safar

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2017, 06:22:46 pm »
I found cleqee A622 early. Looks like Fluke..Agilent..Tek..etc but don't sure about quality

Offline Marcel van Ede

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2017, 06:05:58 am »
If interested, I am building a module which will have a LEM transducer mounted. You don't have the clamp-on possibility but price vs accuracy is very good.

It will be around 420A peak (200Arms), 100kHz (-3db) and 0.35% accuracy (as by my calculations). It will have proper housing and BNC connection for a scope.
I expect pricing of the entire module of about 150EUR.

Unless you REALLY need clamp on, this is a very nice alternative!
I am doing a redesign, so any suggestions are welcome!

Offline bigeblis

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2017, 08:02:29 am »
Tektronix A6302+AM503B+TM502A Meet your requirements. If the required current is greater, consider A6303

Offline banned 2017.08.31 12:44

• !
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2017, 09:11:49 am »
Try Taraz's intellisens series current probe i2, i found it way better then fluke's current probe. Their biggest advantage is that you can analyse results on your laptop and oscilloscope. Other probes display results only on oscilloscope and we had to connect oscilloscope to laptop, with this probe we can connect probe directly to laptop, save and send it for future references.
Secondly it also performs THD analysis too. You can find it here. https://www.taraztechnologies.com/products/intellisens-smart-pc-usb-probes/

Cheers!

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2017, 08:45:43 pm »
The BK Precision CP6220, CP6550, CP6770 seem to offer a usable bandwith/current combination for a reasonable price. The LEM HEME PR-series were competitively priced even new and are sometimes available for a bargain. I have the PR30 (100kHz 30A) and the PR430 (30kHz 40/400A) and found them to work as claimed. If I recall it correctly, there was a faster one too. But of course I place most trust in my active and passive Tek's and Pearson split-cores. As stated by others, non-clamp LEM current sensors (or comparable ones: Sensitec, Telcon, ) can be a interesting alternative in many applications.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf