Author Topic: So which scope to buy  (Read 8877 times)

Offline mrpacketheadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
Re: So which scope to buy
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2017, 07:11:34 am »
I've short listed the RS2004 and the Keysight 3000.     I can have 2 2004's for the price of one 3000, but the 3000 is upgradable ( and potentially hackable ) to 1GHz...

On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2017, 07:22:41 am »
The ethernet eye diagrams are probalby the thing that pushes the spec requirement out.

I'm a noob, pardon for this question, say you got your scope that fits in your need and its fully capable to display the eye diagrams of ethernet signal as you wanted.

What kind of potential problems (just name the common ones), once you have a perfect eye diagram displayed at your scope ? And the potential fix for it ?

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2017, 07:58:33 am »
I'm a noob, pardon for this question, say you got your scope that fits in your need and its fully capable to display the eye diagrams of ethernet signal as you wanted.

Simplistics, you can use it to determine the 'quality' of a repeatitive serial data stream.   

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2017, 09:11:26 am »
The ethernet eye diagrams are probalby the thing that pushes the spec requirement out.

What kind of potential problems (just name the common ones), once you have a perfect eye diagram displayed at your scope ? And the potential fix for it ?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=eye+diagram+techniques

The wackypedia article isn't very helpful, but the next two are. In general look at manufacturer's application notes.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2017, 11:17:49 am »
I've short listed the RS2004 and the Keysight 3000.     I can have 2 2004's for the price of one 3000, but the 3000 is upgradable ( and potentially hackable ) to 1GHz...
MSOX3000(T) vs. RTB2004 is not clear cut - there are significant plus and minus points on both sides so you'll need to look at both in detail based on your requirements. 
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

The following users thanked this post: mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2017, 06:56:27 pm »
MSOX3000(T) vs. RTB2004 is not clear cut - there are significant plus and minus points on both sides so you'll need to look at both in detail based on your requirements.

In deed its not. It might even be a case of buying both...   The RTB2004 would be a significant upgrade to the Rigol that is on the cal/repair desk.    the extra capabilitys would be handy.  Its almost a decvision that doe'snt need to much mor ethinking.

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2017, 12:28:10 pm »
Depending on where you live and the R&S/Keysight presence there, you may be able to get a loaner so you can try them side by side for your specific applications.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf