Author Topic: ADALM2000 VS Analog Discovery 2  (Read 9961 times)

Offline kirankanchiTopic starter

ADALM2000 VS Analog Discovery 2
« on: October 16, 2018, 12:14:59 pm »
Hello all,
i was going to purchase an entry level pocket scope. i saw the new ADALM2000 (not released yet) but the specs seems promising for the price of ~150 USD, i wonder if i should still consider the 280$ Discovery2 over ADALM2000 given the extra 5Mhz measurement capacity of the Discovery 2 compared to ADALM2000 while sampling rate still remaining the same at 100MSPS.

Please let me know about your thoughts on this comparison, thanks :)

Offline nihtila

• Regular Contributor
  • A Finn in Scotland. Audio Apps Engineer and Maker.
    • nihtila.com DIY audio electronics
Re: ADALM2000 VS Analog Discovery 2
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 12:37:08 pm »
I have been thinking of getting Analog Discovery as well. I didn't know of this ADALM2000.

It all comes down to software with these acquisition modules, that's what they basically are. Analog Discovery has that sorted, the software seems good. And again software was the doom of Red Pitaya. Let's assume ADI understands it and makes the software good, the question is will it be good already at the time of release or not.

edit: note also that AD2 is 14-bits while ADALM2000 is 12-bit.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 12:40:38 pm by nihtila »
http://nihtila.com - Vegan DIY audio electronics, does not contain snake oil

Offline MrW0lf

• Frequent Contributor
    • lab!fyi
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 12:42:31 pm »
i saw the new ADALM2000 (not released yet)

Yet it was happily on sale a year ago and I paid for it. Details here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/analog-devices-adalm2000/

Offline Old Printer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 12:54:21 pm »
I would ditto what Nitihla said. I like the AD and have both the original and the newest version. When Dave reviewed the original unit he spoke very highly of the software, which is more expensive and time consuming than the hardware to produce. The AD software is free to download as a trial version, and if the ADALM software is available I would download both and compare. If it is not, I would ask why?? The AD was designed as a learning tool and has a lot of advanced features besides the scope. While I think mine will have a permanent place on my bench because of the logic features and analyzer software, I would not look at it as a replacement for a dedicated scope for the long haul. Not with the quality and prices in the current scope market.

Offline m72

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 09:21:42 pm »
This week ADALM 2000 arrived to make company to Analog Discovery 2. What can I say after few days?
IMHO.
WaveForms is more usable and interesting than Scopy.
In WaveForms you can choose trigger condition from large list. You can start oscilloscope by logic event or start logic by oscilloscope condition.
Scope & logic in one window? It is simple in WaveForms.
Static control for digital outputs? Only push pull & open drain in ADALM, any combination of 0, 1 and Z in  AD.
Voltage sources are precise in AD... And so on...
May be ADALM is a good hardware for its price, but actually software needs more usability. So i prefer to use AD/AD2.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 10:04:26 pm »
Yes, AD2 costs more, but you also get more. I'm glad I got the AD2 instead of waiting for the ADALM2000.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Old Printer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 03:46:18 am »
This week ADALM 2000 arrived to make company to Analog Discovery 2. What can I say after few days?
IMHO.
WaveForms is more usable and interesting than Scopy.
In WaveForms you can choose trigger condition from large list. You can start oscilloscope by logic event or start logic by oscilloscope condition.
Scope & logic in one window? It is simple in WaveForms.
Static control for digital outputs? Only push pull & open drain in ADALM, any combination of 0, 1 and Z in  AD.
Voltage sources are precise in AD... And so on...
May be ADALM is a good hardware for its price, but actually software needs more usability. So i prefer to use AD/AD2.

For clarification, WaveForms is software for Analog Discovery, Scopy is for ADALM.

The following users thanked this post: Aidanator7000

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf