Author Topic: adding a filtering cap to a cheap pocket meter  (Read 804 times)

Offline VincenzoTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
adding a filtering cap to a cheap pocket meter
« on: May 27, 2021, 07:20:35 am »
I just found this article and thought it's worth sharing

https://www.jackenhack.com/aneng-an8008-modify-for-better-accuracy-faster-readings/

Since those new little chinese meters are deservingly popular here and everywhere (bang for buck, opposite to overpriced). I don't have any aneng or uni-t because I don't need any right now, but I have an old victor vc921 which is probably coming from the exact same factory, it's been a great little thing for less than $15 for all those yeas and perfect for what it was used for. I cracked it open for the first time and found no battery line filtering caps what so ever (probably a tiny little smd ceramic one that I missed when following the tracks). I added a 33uF/25v little smd cap, and the meter started acting like a fluke!!! It stopped bouncing, the thing I got used to with this meter for many years. You touch the to-be-measured points, and the value is instantly there. (sorry, forgot to take pictures of the process and the scope before/after, but there was an amazing difference)

There is a guy on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idf8nRw19DM&t=840s, "Kiss Analog" has long but great videos), who once opened up a cheap but good looking ebay power supply and added a few caps he called "white filter caps" that practically eliminated all the switching noise and probably made the value of the thing many times what it was new.

Is this a new philosophy in budget thinking (like Dave and others say, tear it down first) to buy cheap stuff and add a bunch of caps (mod before using) to make them act fancier?
Is evreyone doing this these days?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 01:52:59 am by Vincenzo »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf