Author Topic: Need some advice on a scope upgrade  (Read 6455 times)

Offline SodaAntTopic starter

• Hobbyist EE
Need some advice on a scope upgrade
« on: February 19, 2014, 05:54:38 pm »
So I currently have a Rigol DS1102E that I got for christmas, and its great having a decent scope, but its soon enough already that I'm looking for an upgrade. Since I would be selling my Rigol, my budget is hopefully somewhere under $600.

The main features that I'm looking for as an upgrade are a larger screen, four input channels, and a arbitrary function generator. One feature that particularly looks good on the Hanteks is the ability to have both a zoomed in and zoomed out display of the waveform on the screen at the same time.

The best option that fits those specifications seems to be the Hantek MSO5074FG, but I have a few concerns with it. To begin with, it seems like a new product, and I can't quite tell how much it shares with the older model Hantek scopes. Also, I am curious if anyone has any details on how good the waveform generator is, or if it shares the specs of that with another scope that is better reviewed.

Finally, I assume that I can expand the bandwidth of the MSO5074FG to 200Mhz like the other Hanteks based on the information posted in Tinhead's thread, but I don't see any conclusive statement that it is indeed hackable to the same degree.

Based on all that, is the MSO5074G the best choice, or is there another scope people would suggest?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Need some advice on a scope upgrade
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 07:26:44 pm »
Welcome.
Since you already have a scope, you don't have to be in a hurry to upgrade.
You describe a Dual timebase/Zoom function, it is not uncommon.
Search for the Siglent SDS2000 thread here. It is well featured at base level with options you can add at purchase or later.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 07:40:28 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bronson

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 07:32:29 pm »
Just curioius, why do you want an arb in the scope?

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 07:41:28 pm »
Have you thought about a Rigol DS1074Z before?
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/echen1024

• Hobbyist EE
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 07:44:34 pm »
Welcome.
Since you already have a scope, you don't have to be in a hurry to upgrade.
You describe a Dual timebase/Zoom function, it is not uncommon.
Search for the Siglent SDS2000 thread here. It is well featured at base level with options you can add at purchase or later.
That's true, there's no real hurry. A better scope would be nice, but for the most part the Rigol does what it needs to do. Agreed that the dual timebase/zoom function is quite common, but unless I'm missing something, my scope doesn't have it, which is one of the reasons I'm looking to upgrade.

The Siglent SDS2000 looks like a nice scope, but a little out of my price range. The cheapest scope in that range I can find is 70Mhz 2 channel for $900. The primary advantages it seems to have over the Hantek is a much deeper sample memory and better triggering, but I'm not sure those features are enough to push my budget out by that much.

Just curioius, why do you want an arb in the scope?

I don't need one in the scope really. If there's a good combination of standalone function generator and scope with the same features and price I'd be happy to look at that, but I don't think I want to go much above a $600 budget.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 07:58:59 pm by SodaAnt »

Offline iDevice

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 08:11:55 pm »
Since I would be selling my Rigol, my budget is hopefully somewhere under $600.

The main features that I'm looking for as an upgrade are a larger screen, four input channels, and a arbitrary function generator. One feature that particularly looks good on the Hanteks is the ability to have both a zoomed in and zoomed out display of the waveform on the screen at the same time.

Seems to me you just defined the Rigol DS1074Z-S.
Maybe a tiny bit more than your budget, but unbeatable bang for buck.

• Hobbyist EE
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 08:23:53 pm »
Since I would be selling my Rigol, my budget is hopefully somewhere under $600.

Seems to me you just defined the Rigol DS1074Z-S.
Maybe a tiny bit more than your budget, but unbeatable bang for buck.

Well you know what they say, budgets were made to be broken! Other than the advantages of US based support, and what looks like better memory depth, what would be the advantages of the Rigol over the Hantek? Its still a $250 difference or so, and there's no LA on the Rigol either, though I admit that the LA on the Hantek is almost worse than nothing in all probability.

The other thing that brought the Hantek to my attention was the possibility for increasing the bandwidth to 200Mhz. I'm not sure if the MSO5074FG can do that, but it would be a nice perk, since I do sometimes deal with signals that are around 100-120MHz.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 08:39:51 pm »
With your specified 4 CH, do you need LA as well?
Maybe just a good triggering suite will meet your needs?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Hobbyist EE
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 08:42:32 pm »
With your specified 4 CH, do you need LA as well?
Maybe just a good triggering suite will meet your needs?

LA is a nice value add, if all other things are equal, but its certainly not first on the list. I'd rather have higher bandwidth than more channels, or better triggering.

• Hobbyist EE
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 04:31:10 am »
So it seems that there are three choices right now:

Rigol DS1074Z-S: A bit out of my budget, but seems to have pretty good memory depth, and has NA distributor and NA support as well, which is a nice plus in case anything goes wrong with the scope itself.

Siglent SDS2000: Way out of my budget, at around $1300 for the 2074, but looks like it has excellent sample depth and waveforms per second. Support maybe not as good as the rigol, but probably a lot better than Hantek.

Hantek MSO5074FG: Cheapest of the lot, probably doesn't have great support, and not the greatest waveforms per second or memory depth. Has a logic analyzer built in, though its probably not of the best quality.

I'm still leaning towards the Hantek due to the combination of features and cost, but I'm still wondering if the bandwidth can be expanded via software, or if there's something I'm missing in my analysis.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 05:54:11 am »
Although it is not quite released yet, the Siglent is well spec'ed with AWG, Decode and Power analysis options. These options are incorporated in hardware ex factory. They just need to be bought and enabled. It has Serial triggering as standard. http://www.nationalsiliconsupply.info/about-siglent.html is the US distributor.(Googled)
Going on my pricing, your around $1300 should almost include one of the cheaper options(AWG or Decode).
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 05:59:46 am »
Google

Hantek vistatech (Amazon)

or

Hantek TechRecommends (on ebay)

This guy / store is apparently the North American dealer for Hantek. I picked up a couple power supplies off ebay a couple weeks ago. Service was first rate. I'm in Canada but I think he? they? ship from the US as well.

• Hobbyist EE
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 07:01:10 am »
Although it is not quite released yet, the Siglent is well spec'ed with AWG, Decode and Power analysis options. These options are incorporated in hardware ex factory. They just need to be bought and enabled. It has Serial triggering as standard. http://www.nationalsiliconsupply.info/about-siglent.html is the US distributor.(Googled)
Going on my pricing, your around $1300 should almost include one of the cheaper options(AWG or Decode).

Sadly I think $1300 is a bit out of my budget right now. Since I'll be selling my DS1102E (hopefully for around $300-350), I am only hoping to spend $300 max, which would put my max budget at around $600-650. I don't think I can justify paying 3x as much in the end for a new scope right now.

Google

Hantek vistatech (Amazon)

or

Hantek TechRecommends (on ebay)

This guy / store is apparently the North American dealer for Hantek. I picked up a couple power supplies off ebay a couple weeks ago. Service was first rate. I'm in Canada but I think he? they? ship from the US as well.

Doesn't have the MS5074FG though. I'm not sure if its a new model or just less common.

Offline staze

• Frequent Contributor
  • I _might_ have a problem...
    • Everybody Staze...
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 07:19:33 am »
Having had both a DS1000 series, and currently a DS2000 series scope, I would definitely recommend the 1000Z series. Even without the arb... for that price, and 4 channels, nearly the same capabilities as the 2000 series, and the ease of the 1000 series (I actually prefer my old DS1000e for simple "turn on, set, get waveform" to the 2000 series).

But that's just me.
“Give a man an answer, he’ll keep his job for a day. Teach a man to Google, and he’ll be employed for a lifetime”

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 06:31:18 pm »
Rigol DS1074Z-S: A bit out of my budget, but seems to have pretty good memory depth, and has NA distributor and NA support as well, which is a nice plus in case anything goes wrong with the scope itself.

Siglent SDS2000: Way out of my budget, at around $1300 for the 2074, but looks like it has excellent sample depth and waveforms per second. Support maybe not as good as the rigol, but probably a lot better than Hantek.

Hantek MSO5074FG: Cheapest of the lot, probably doesn't have great support, and not the greatest waveforms per second or memory depth. Has a logic analyzer built in, though its probably not of the best quality.

Rigol & Siglent have "digital phosphor"/intensity grading.

Rigol is easily hackable to 100MHz + all options; Hantek is hackable for higher bandwidth; Siglent is unknown (?).

Rigol only has 1 set of vertical control knobs, Siglent has 4 sets, Hantek has 2 or maybe 4 (?).

Rigol is only 250MSPS in 4 channel mode vs. Siglent 1GSPS and Hantek 1GSPS (??).

I have a quote of $1050 for the Siglent 2074, so it's not quite as expensive as you say.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf