Author Topic: Easy low noise reference options?  (Read 517 times)

Offline tom66Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
Easy low noise reference options?
« on: October 30, 2023, 03:29:45 pm »
We have a system with a 14-bit ADC where we need to assess the noise of the system, to determine if a noise problem is caused by the sensor or our amplifier electronics.

The input signal is typically around 1-2V DC.  So we would need a reference with a noise of around 10uVrms (as our quantisation noise is 120uV at 1LSB) to see how much noise is being contributed by this.

I thought some inexpensive 1.25V multimeter reference e.g. for a 6 1/2 digit multimeter, for the voltnuts on here, would be good. Any suggestions?

This is a work project so cost is not too critical but timescale is reasonably, so we ideally want to just buy something pre-calibrated and tested that we can hook up, put in a nice shielded environment and make the measurement. 

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
Re: Easy low noise reference options?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2023, 04:11:54 pm »
I personally would get a REF5020 because I used that on several designs. There are better/newer chips though.  I'm sure Linear technology will have something better if you really want.
Power it from a 9V battery and place it in a metal box.

The following users thanked this post: tom66

Offline tom66Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2023, 06:35:41 pm »
Are you aware of any REF5020s that come on a development/test board?  I couldn't find any.  Ideally we'd not spin a PCB like this, too much engineering time spent.  Happy to spend, say $/£/€50-100 on a reference board and be done with it.

Online Alex Nikitin

• Super Contributor
  • Femtoampnut and Tapehead.
    • A.N.T. Audio
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2023, 07:42:31 pm »
Are you aware of any REF5020s that come on a development/test board?  I couldn't find any.  Ideally we'd not spin a PCB like this, too much engineering time spent.  Happy to spend, say $/£/€50-100 on a reference board and be done with it.

AD has a number of development boards for low noise references, for example this one for 1.2V.

Or this one for 2.5V.

Cheers

Alex

The following users thanked this post: tom66

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf