Author Topic: Buying advice: Rigol RSA3000 RTSA or Siglent SSA3000X Plus for EMC  (Read 506 times)

Offline AlphaprotTopic starter

Foreword in accordance with the sticky post: I hope I have not missed previous discussions about this topic. Using the forum-wide search and sifting throug the appropriate device super-threads for both model families, I could not find a satisfiying comparison. The Internet itself is quite sparse with hands-on experience with RSA3000 models in general.

I am an electronics beginner and like to design smaller PCBs in my free time (it is some sort of contemplative work for me to do layout). For debugging purposes, I got access to an 8-bit scope (SDS2104X Plus with the "usual" improvements) which has a basic FFT functionality). I am quite interested in getting things clean with regard to EMC, so I even if I might not be legally bound to too many regulations as an hobbiest not distributing his work, I like to improve my skill in this area as well.

This is my main reason for my call after a spectrum analyzer. I see two and a half options for a potential buy (buying location - Germany):
  • Siglent SSA2021X Plus, perhaps upgraded to a SSA3032X Plus or crossflashed to an SVA1032X
  • Rigol RSA3015, to my knowledge only "usefully" upgradable to an RSA3045
  • X Something comparably or lower priced you think would be a better fit

I am willing to put some nickels of my student loan aside (I initially calculated with 1.159 EUR of the SSA3015X Plus, but seems like it is better to buy a SSA3021X Plus instead hardwarewise). If it goes over 2.000 EUR as it is the case for a RSA3000 model with TG, I will be considerably more reluctant.

My wishlist in no apparent order:
  • Measure frequencies of interest up to around 2.4 GHz ISM for IoT purposes, although I have currently no requirement to do real-time analysis/debugging of radio protocols (that is too much information technology at this time for me)
  • The option to load different EMC test standards and their limits into the device to do EMC sniffing with H-Field and E-Field probes, likely in conjunction with a LISN in the future
  • A tracking generator as I would like to fulfill future needs of mine such as filter evaluation and antenna validations. A current early-stage project of mine e.g. includes a 2.4 GHz antenna path and I would like to be able to do some real world characterization of my design for educational purposes
  • I am not good enough with soldering/hardware-tweaking the internals of such devices myself (e.g. PSU improvements, component replacement) - especially not with regard to $$$ measurement equipment - so it should be suitable for that usecase out of the box

My questions:
  • Why is the RSA3000 Series so underwhelmingly little represented on the Internet? Is it that bad or just not that interesting for most?
  • Do I even need to consider a RTSA for my foreseeable future needs or is a swept SA "enough" and I am better off investing in other things at the moment?
  • How future proof are above platforms, especially after considering the fact, that both are dating back to Sept. 2019 and June 2018 respectively? Is this a sign of maturity or rather a sign of a product life nearing its end?
  • Are there other products that you are aware off that could be better for my described scenario? I am not so keen on buying used stuff off eBay because imo you need quite some experience to know what and what not to expect from a used hardware offer"

I would be happy to for your thoughts, comments and recommendations below. My requirements might be rather loosely for some of you, but please bear in mind that I am doing all this mainly out of curiosity, a will to get it right (which encompasses the right tools, too) and joy of learning by doing to get there.
Please ask for clarification wherever necessary which I hope I can provide.

Thank you,
Yannik
« Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 10:28:15 pm by Alphaprot »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: Buying advice: Rigol RSA3000 RTSA or Siglent SSA3000X Plus for EMC
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2023, 10:38:27 pm »
The option to load different EMC test standards and their limits into the device to do EMC sniffing with H-Field and E-Field probes, likely in conjunction with a LISN in the
This is not going to work. If you want to make meaningfull measurements with absolute levels, you'll need calibrated antennas, LISNs and so on. A TEM cell is reasonably accurate by itself though but count on spending money on that (either bought or DIY). Other than that, forget about measuring using absolute levels. H-Field & E-field probes are usefull though to sniff out the source of a spike being pushed onto a cable or radiated from the board and/or cable. But don't expect to make absolute measurement with such probes.

Also think twice about borrowing money for test equipment. Why not get something second hand to start with?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 10:40:51 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: Alphaprot

Offline AlphaprotTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2023, 10:49:21 pm »
Other than that, forget about measuring using absolute levels. H-Field & E-field probes are usefull though to sniff out the source of a spike being pushed onto a cable or radiated from the board and/or cable. But don't expect to make absolute measurement with such probes.
Fair enough, thank you for your "grounding" words. That reminds me of one of my lecturers demonstrating sniffing and displaying the induced voltages just in the time domain. We found some surprising results already with that.  Would my scope's FFT hence be enough to get plausible readings like "this section around component X is a disaster and radiates in that frequencies" or is a dedicated SA justified?

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2023, 11:24:00 pm »
Personally I find a spectrum analyser easier to use to look at the frequency spectrum of a signal. Also because a spectrum analyser is much more sensitive to small signals. I have some low-Z oscilloscope probes for use with 50 Ohm inputs as well. Sometime I use these with my spectrum analyser (using a DC block) to check the frequency content of a signal.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2023, 11:31:58 pm »
For internal EMC Pre-Tests (most of our customers only accept tests from an external lab)we use scope and SA.
Where the scope is used for the current tests.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf