Author Topic: Advantest R4131D  (Read 5183 times)

Offline eurofoxTopic starter

• Supporter
    • Music
Advantest R4131D
« on: September 11, 2013, 10:59:39 am »
Hello Spectrum Analyser users  :)

Could you tell me if this is a good investment for general use?  :phew:

eurofox
eurofox

Offline Mr Simpleton

• Supporter
  • Not the sharpest knife in the drawer
Re: Advantest R4131D
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 12:52:15 pm »
Even if I haven't used this particular model of spec... it is a the lower end regarding performance. 70 dB dynamic range and 1 kHz RBW puts it in the same category as the HP 8590 family. And I'm big fan of Advantest specs, do not like the UI.

If you do not need the 3GHz range, I would look and compare with the new Rigol 815... looks just as capable at a reasonable price. But then I don't know what price you are expected to pay for the R4131D...

Cheers
Lasse

• Supporter
    • Music
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 06:48:47 pm »
Even if I haven't used this particular model of spec... it is a the lower end regarding performance. 70 dB dynamic range and 1 kHz RBW puts it in the same category as the HP 8590 family. And I'm big fan of Advantest specs, do not like the UI.

If you do not need the 3GHz range, I would look and compare with the new Rigol 815... looks just as capable at a reasonable price. But then I don't know what price you are expected to pay for the R4131D...

Cheers
Lasse

You advise me to spend the money on a Rigol 815 instead of the R4131D?

eurofox
eurofox

Offline G0HZU

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 11:30:21 pm »
The R4131D looks pretty basic in terms of performance and not something I would consider myself.
However, I'm a great fan of Advantest gear and a few days ago I bought another TR4172 as a spares donor for my main Advantest TR4172.
It only cost me £205 as a non runner but I've repaired it so I have a fully working spares donor.

The TR4172 is a very high performance analyser from the 1980s but it's also very big and heavy so probably not suitable for most users.

I think there are better analysers than the 4131D for general use but a lot depends on what you want to use it for and how low the price is.

Offline Mr Simpleton

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 01:28:42 pm »
The R4131D is not bad, but the question is; how much do you have to spend?
It all comes down to how much you are going to pay for the spectrum analyzer. For €500 sure a nice deal. If you are looking at €1k then there are other options, i.e. HP 8590 series and new Rigol DSA815.

And then there is the question, how good performance do you need??

BTW looking at old equipment 10-20 years old.. investment is not the word that comes to mind :D

• Supporter
    • Music
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 03:09:47 pm »
The R4131D is not bad, but the question is; how much do you have to spend?
It all comes down to how much you are going to pay for the spectrum analyzer. For €500 sure a nice deal. If you are looking at €1k then there are other options, i.e. HP 8590 series and new Rigol DSA815.

And then there is the question, how good performance do you need??

BTW looking at old equipment 10-20 years old.. investment is not the word that comes to mind :D

Price is 900€ + shipping from US + 250€ Duties

Apart from the limited bandwidth of the DSA815 it is maybe a better choice for 1477€ including 3 year of warranty

eurofox
eurofox

Offline Mr Simpleton

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 03:16:10 pm »
Just like buying a used car or a new one for the same amount of money.....

I have not had the chance to use either of these instruments, but looking at the specs they are similar. And with the 3 year warranty on the new Rigol this is probably what I would choose.

Offline G0HZU

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 07:10:54 pm »
If I give my opinion a bit more firmly it might help :)

The R4131D is (to me) a very poor analyser and I wouldn't want it taking up space in my house. Simple as that.

The LO system it uses isn't synthesised (so it isn't accurate when measuring frequency)
The RBW only goes down to 1kHz.
I doubt the linearity spec is going to be good.
It only has a 70dB dynamic range and it only has an 80dB display range.
I doubt it has a 1Hz noise marker function and it doesn't have an internal TG option if you want a TG.

A newbie to spectrum analysis will have a lot more reward from something like the Rigol 815TG as long as they don't expect it to perform like a lab grade analyser.

It has a modern user interface, modern connectivity and a nice display. The RF performance isn't that great but it has been cleverly compromised to meet the needs of the keen hobbyist or small business and it is available new at a remarkably low price.

But you can't really compare the 4131 to the 815 as I doubt the 4131 will cost more than $500 used and even then I'd rather not bother. To me the 4131 is so poor (technically) it has virtually no value to me at all.

By contrast I would certainly give up space in my house for a Rigol 815 because it is so portable and I would find use for it for casual measurements. I wouldn't want to buy a new one though because it would only get used rarely (I have several large and heavy  lab grade analysers here)  so it wouldn't be cost effective for me.

I would love to have a Rigol 815 here for technical review but I doubt I will see one any time soon...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 07:18:03 pm by G0HZU »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf