Author Topic: Advice about oscilloscope to buy.  (Read 35213 times)

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
Re: Advice about oscilloscope to buy.
« Reply #100 on: November 08, 2016, 10:31:57 am »

Does Siglent SD2072 have the same hardware 100Mhz and 300Mhz or not?

No.

Would you put evidence on the table.
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101 on: November 08, 2016, 10:38:49 am »

No.

No. It might be, it might not be. Who knows?  :-//

On The Other Hand: The OP seems to be asking if he can hack his Siglent the same way that happy Rigol owners are busy hacking theirs. A quick google search will tell you that the answer to that question is "no".

Offline BliskTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #102 on: November 08, 2016, 10:43:31 am »
So Rigol 2000 series is best choice for that money?

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103 on: November 08, 2016, 10:47:18 am »

No.

No. It might be, it might not be. Who knows?  :-//

So why you answer No if you do not know anything about it.
Right answer what you can use is (if you really want answer without knowledge): "I do not know", as long as you do not know.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 10:50:07 am by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104 on: November 08, 2016, 11:10:18 am »

I know perfectly - the clue is in the fact that you can buy upgrades.

Buuuut:
a) That isn't what the OP is really asking
b) The answer to the real question is "no".

« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 11:12:02 am by Fungus »

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105 on: November 08, 2016, 11:22:59 am »

I know perfectly - the clue is in the fact that you can buy upgrades.

Buuuut:
a) That isn't what the OP is really asking
b) The answer to the real question is "no".

|O

No.

This was question and there is your answer - if you forget it. Exatly.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106 on: November 08, 2016, 11:37:02 am »
This was question and there is your answer - if you forget it. Exatly.

Nice trim.

He said:
As I read here 70Mhz can be unlocked to 300Mhz
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/unlockinghacking-the-rigol-ds2000a-series-scope-the-short-post/

What was he really after?

You're right though, the answer was pedantically incorrect.

Next time I'll use more than one word. Maybe something like "Yes, but this line of reasoning is futile and will only end in disappointment".

« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 12:29:35 pm by Fungus »

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107 on: November 08, 2016, 12:51:57 pm »

On The Other Hand: The OP seems to be asking if he can hack his Siglent the same way that happy Rigol owners are busy hacking theirs. A quick google search will tell you that the answer to that question is "no".

This is true. I have not (yet) seen any evidence for Siglent SDS1000X/X+  or SDS2000X this kind of hack what is at this time available for Rigol 1000Z and 2000 models.  No one also know how long Rigol continue this marketing trick.

Only what Siglent offer at this time is limited time offer for SDS2000X series so that when pay 70MHz model price then get 100MHz model, when pay 100MHz model price, get 200MHz model etc. And other offer is for options.

But for exaple, in standard you get with SDS2000X
max 140000wfm/s
max 140M memory  (in 4 channel models 2 x 140M) (+ some extra memory for History buffer and Sequence acquisition.)
! max 80000 waveform history buffer (always working backside with current speed (exept if Sequence acquisition is in use). "Stop and look history" feature)
max 80000 waveform (segment) in Sequence mode
! max 500000  wfm/s speed in Sequence mode inside one Sequence.
! Full speed hardware based mask test (up to 140000wfm/s independdent of test result)
Hardware ready for MSO with 16 channel digital inputs (MSO functions activation need license and using need also 16 channel LA probe)
Hardware ready 1Ch 25MHz AWG (activation need license)

What is best for individual user depends individual needs and what things/features user give more or less weight.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #108 on: November 08, 2016, 01:03:08 pm »
Blisk is asking for value for money. A 2 channel 70MHz Rigol DS2072 costs $836 at Tequipment. $161 extra buys him a 4 channel 200MHz GW Instek GDS2204E ($1000 from Tequipment). A 4 channel 100MHz Siglent SDS2104X + decoding option costs $1473 from Saelig (I don't see the free bandwidth upgrade). For that $437 extra you can buy a very nice seperate waveform generator or USB based logic analyser not to mention the SDS2000X still has short & slow FFT, hires limited to 14kpts (what is the use of having deep memory?), decoding only what is on screen and various annoying bugs in the firmware.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 01:07:15 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: Blisk

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109 on: November 08, 2016, 01:23:31 pm »
Blisk is asking for value for money. A 2 channel 70MHz Rigol DS2072 costs $836 at Tequipment.

That's the best value for money if you can live with 2 channels (You can easily unlock 300MHz + a lot of extra features)

$161 extra buys him a 4 channel 200MHz GW Instek GDS2204E ($1000 from Tequipment).

Oooh! They've really dropped the price on that one. It's a very good deal for $1000.

http://www.tequipment.net/Instek/GDS-2204E/Digital-Oscilloscopes/?b=y&v=7781

« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 01:26:59 pm by Fungus »

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110 on: November 08, 2016, 02:03:09 pm »
decoding only what is on screen and various annoying bugs in the firmware.

What bug you really know?

Is it so that only experience you have is with early FW from old SDS2000 what was predecessor  for SDS2000X series.

Decoding what is in memory. 

Sorry but it still looks like you do not understand this working principle in scope where all captured memory length is on the screen. If there is even 140Mpts captured length, it is all on the screen, visible, without hidden part of trace.

What decoding is needed for part of signal what is not captured. Please explain why need decode something what do not exist in memory?  I repeat it agen here: Of course Siglent do NOT DECODE things what are not in display!   Outside of display there is NOTHING to decode. With this principle user see all what captured length, there is not hidden part. Less real blind time.

Goodwill 2000E scope  have  some kind of  "segmented memory acquisition" but I have not seen any real data about its speed.  Fast segmented acquisition is important basic feature in oscilloscope.  Also not waveform history buffer at all.  Can you show tested guaranteed speed of segmented memory acquisition in Goodwill.

Goodwill 2000E max samplerate is 1GSa/s. Max Memory 10M.
(what is samplerate and memory for all channels when all is in use)

But how ever Siglent serial decoding is, it still looks like (based to information in this forum) in this area perhaps Goodwill do better work. Same with advanced FFT in Goodwill (based to information in this forum).

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #111 on: November 08, 2016, 02:33:28 pm »
decoding only what is on screen and various annoying bugs in the firmware.

What bug you really know?

Is it so that only experience you have is with early FW from old SDS2000 what was predecessor  for SDS2000X series.
Just read the thread about the SDS2000/SDS2000X firmware. Still bugs out there and a lot has not been covered in that thread so there may be many more lingering (triggering on message content in protocols for example). Siglent's biggest problem is their mediocre firmware engineering department and their lack of knowledge about how an oscilloscope should work. The SDS2000 got introduced about 3 years ago but today the firmware still has several issues and it turns out they can't even deliver some of the promised features like FFT, decoding and hires without incurring serious limitations. That is not something they can fix without a major overhaul of the hardware platform. The sad part is that if Siglent got it right of the bat they could have made a killing with the SDS2000. In today's market however it is obsolete.

And yes, decoding only what is on screen is bad because the decoding will dissapear as soon as you scroll the beginning of the message off-screen which makes it impossible to correlate bit timing problems to parts inside a decoded messages (like ACK bit in I2C and CAN, reversal of a half-duplex RS485 bus, SPI bus enable, etc).
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 02:37:25 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: FluentsAndFluxions

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #112 on: November 08, 2016, 02:57:16 pm »
Blisk is asking for value for money. A 2 channel 70MHz Rigol DS2072 costs $836 at Tequipment. $161 extra buys him a 4 channel 200MHz GW Instek GDS2204E ($1000 from Tequipment). A 4 channel 100MHz Siglent SDS2104X + decoding option costs $1473 from Saelig (I don't see the free bandwidth upgrade). For that $437 extra you can buy a very nice seperate waveform generator or USB based logic analyser not to mention the SDS2000X still has short & slow FFT, hires limited to 14kpts (what is the use of having deep memory?), decoding only what is on screen and various annoying bugs in the firmware.

Exactly! I am looking something about 800-1000$, best for that money.
I will check Instek I am not familiar with it, how good is hardware and stable firmware?

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113 on: November 08, 2016, 03:41:19 pm »
I will check Instek I am not familiar with it, how good is hardware and stable firmware?

According to Dave's teardowns: The hardware is OK (not outstanding but no obvious problems). Has decent processing power for the job.

According to forum members: Firmware is above average. Good features, very few bugs.

Overall: I don't think you can do better for a general purpose 'scope for $1000 right now (that's a hefty discount ... only 2 left at that price!)

Edit: On the other hand, it looks like you're not in the USA. You probably have to pay a lot of shipping and taxes.  >:(

« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 03:47:14 pm by Fungus »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114 on: November 08, 2016, 03:54:08 pm »
If you can't get the Instek for $1000 then weirdly enough you might have to get a Rigol DS1054Z.

To get a better 'scope than an unlocked DS1054Z you really need to pay over $1000.

There's really nothing between $400 and $1000 that's better than a DS1054Z unless you have a very specific need, eg. good FFTs. There are 'scopes with better FFT than the DS1054Z but you lose badly on bandwidth, number of channels, etc.

On the bright side: You'll have $400-$600 left over from your budget to buy something else.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #115 on: November 08, 2016, 04:07:19 pm »
If you can't get the Instek for $1000 then weirdly enough you might have to get a Rigol DS1054Z.
Weirdly enough I have to agree.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #116 on: November 08, 2016, 04:22:31 pm »

yes I am not from US but from Europe, so I need to buy scope from seller in europe, if not I need to pay about 27% more for cutom fees and taxes.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #117 on: November 08, 2016, 04:52:04 pm »
Recent discussion overlooks that a SDS2kX has MSO as standard.
If Blisk thinks he might need it and buys a DS2k, thinking he'll hack it to higher BW, he'll be disappointed. Nobodys done that yet AFAIK.

The previously mentioned free BW upgrade for SDS2kX is currently only available in European and Asia pacific regions.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #118 on: November 08, 2016, 05:27:41 pm »
yes I am not from US but from Europe, so I need to buy scope from seller in europe, if not I need to pay about 27% more for cutom fees and taxes.
So Slovenia is also pretty bad when it comes to VAT. Still with the Tequipment Eevblog discount their price may not be bad compared to European sellers. You can try to contact GW Instek in Europe ( sales@gw-instek.eu ) to find a more local reseller.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #119 on: November 08, 2016, 05:59:24 pm »
quick look for Instek version 2000 is far more expencive than other oscilloscopes.
it is from 1500-2000$

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #120 on: November 08, 2016, 06:08:59 pm »
quick look for Instek version 2000 is far more expencive than other oscilloscopes.
it is from 1500-2000$
Test equipment in Europe is more expensive than in the US. If you take the Tequipment deal for the GW Instek 2204E (note GW instek has a different 2000A series so be carefull what you compare) you'll pay 910 euro for the scope and another 245 euro for the VAT. Add 50 euro(?) for shipping and you end up at 1205 euro all in which probably is a very good price.

Offline Nozzer

• Contributor
« Reply #121 on: November 08, 2016, 06:31:20 pm »
The Rigol DS2000 series are two channels and only go up to a maximum BW of 200MHz.

Offline jemangedeslolos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #122 on: November 08, 2016, 06:46:42 pm »
300Mhz  ;)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #123 on: November 08, 2016, 10:55:16 pm »
The Rigol DS2000 series are two channels and only go up to a maximum BW of 200MHz.

For me I think 2 channels is enough.

is there a list what unlocked Rigol DS2000 can do, except higher frequency - 300Mhz

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124 on: November 09, 2016, 06:36:29 am »
is there a list what unlocked Rigol DS2000 can do, except higher frequency - 300Mhz

http://gotroot.ca/rigol/riglol/

For me I think 2 channels is enough.

If 2 channels is enough then Rhode&Schwartz have some interesting models for $1000. You won't get 300MHz bandwidth but they're very nice 'scopes.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 06:50:22 am by Fungus »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf