Author Topic: Advice on buying a bench DC PSU  (Read 5947 times)

Offline bsodmikeTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Advice on buying a bench DC PSU
« on: February 05, 2020, 01:05:51 pm »
Hi all,

I've been through a couple of Dave's older videos on the Rigol DP832 lab PSU
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-509-rigol-832-lab-power-supply/

Given that it is February 2020 at the time of my writing, is this still an 'OK' to decent starter bench PSU?  Having gone through his video, this seems to tick all the boxes for me.

Thanks again,
Cheers M

Offline KC0PPH

• Supporter
Re: Advice on buying a bench DC PSU
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 04:38:09 pm »
sub.

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 04:43:17 pm »
It's my preferred low cost supply.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 04:47:38 pm »
Check this thread:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/spd3303x-e-vs-dp832/

Basically there are several choices:
GW Instek GPP-4323
Keysight E36312A / E36313A
Rigol DP832
Siglent spd3303x

IMHO the GW Instek GPP-4323 offers good value for money while avoiding the short comings of the Siglent (no keypad) and Rigol (channels not fully isolated).
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline filssavi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2020, 04:59:11 pm »
I quite like the linear Korad supplies that you can fold under many names korad is the OEM but gw instek and tenma (Farnell’s house brand) rebadge them.
They are linear, decently built and they perform ok for general elettronics and lab work (maybe for sensitive analog electronics they might not be the best but that is not my cup of tea) , and best of all quite cheap

What I suggest you avoid like the plague are the TTi multichannel switching ones, as I had only problems with them...
I managed to have the current loop oscillate on me with noise, and also several DC/DC latch ups on startup, whereas both the linear and a cheap din rail PSU would work perfectly

Now I’m quite certain my circuits were not faultless, but i think is paramount For a good power supply to behave no matter what load you throw at it (within reason, so no 2 quadrant operation of course)

The following users thanked this post: tooki, umbro

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2020, 01:02:11 am »
Thanks all, I appreciate the input!

I'm leaning towards the Rigol, as I think I can get away depending on Chan1, and I like the convenience of punching the limits via the keypad.  The display UI is very clean and easy to follow.

Having gone through a couple of Dave's vids, I feel like I'll have a better time with the DP832.  Cheers.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline Nx-1997

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2020, 01:50:23 am »
The HP/Agilent 6632B (20V @ 5A) is another decent DC power supply. Not a lot of people know this but you can use it as a DC load (current sink capability). The fan is a bit annoying though.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2020, 09:39:46 am »
Thanks all, I appreciate the input!

I'm leaning towards the Rigol, as I think I can get away depending on Chan1, and I like the convenience of punching the limits via the keypad.  The display UI is very clean and easy to follow.

Having gone through a couple of Dave's vids, I feel like I'll have a better time with the DP832.  Cheers.

I have Rigol DP831 and it works really well and I like it. But make sure to understand that overvolage/overcurrent limits are not made in hardware (there is no crowbar circuit in hardware). It is software option, and quite slow at that. It can take few hundred ms for it to shut off.
That is one thing about it that I don't like.

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2020, 10:43:04 am »
I have a DP832 for a few years now, and it's OK.  Can be unlocked and turned into a DP832A.

Not perfect, a few times the SCPI frozen and once it rebooted itself after a few hours at 2x3.2A and about 13V (so at less than 100W load).  Don't know what it was, and since then never rebooted itself.  It's very easy to use it as a simple power supply, but making it to output some test patterns is very cumbersome to set, almost unusable even after reading the manual.

Sometimes I find myself avoiding the DP832, and use brickwall power adapters, or some other diy power sources simply because I don't like instruments with fan.  DP832 fan is not unbearable noisy on the first level (the fan has 2 speeds) but at full speed, in a quiet room, the DP832 fan becomes annoying.

Overall, I don't regret buying it, was a good power supply so far, full of features, comes in handy very often.

If it were to buy again, I would put some more money and buy a 4 quadrant power supply, or at least a 2 quadrant one (that can either source or sink current, so it can be used either as a power source or as a controlled load).  For some reason, the need of a controlled load keeps popping up to me, and not only for battery testing.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 10:46:34 am by RoGeorge »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2020, 01:55:38 pm »

If it were to buy again, I would put some more money and buy a 4 quadrant power supply, or at least a 2 quadrant one (that can either source or sink current, so it can be used either as a power source or as a controlled load).  For some reason, the need of a controlled load keeps popping up to me, and not only for battery testing.
The GW Instek GPP-4323 is a 2 quadrant PSU !
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2020, 11:50:53 am »
Hi all,

I found a local reputed agent to source a BK Precision Bench PSU from Farnell.  It has 3-isolated outputs.

BK9130B -  Bench Power Supply, Programmable, 3 Output, 30V/3A
https://export.farnell.com/b-k-precision/bk9130b/power-supply-3-ch-30v-3a-prog/dp/2532617?st=power%20supply

Datasheet: http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1965962.pdf

Local agent is asking for ~US$1,700/- (with shipping/taxes).  The cheapest 'El-crappo' from a totally random local company runs about US$1,200/- (the Rigol for example).  Leaning towards the more expensive option but I get 3-years warranty.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2020, 12:18:07 pm »
If you are going to spend that kind of money then get the Keysight E36313A.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2020, 07:15:12 pm »
Hi all,

I found a local reputed agent to source a BK Precision Bench PSU from Farnell.  It has 3-isolated outputs.
So does the $389 SPD3303X-E.
Simple enough to turn it into the X model too.  ;)

Forget the pics on the US website as they haven't changed since the GUI was updated to give a much better default display.  :horse:
This what they all look like how:
https://int.siglent.com/products-overview/spd3000x/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2020, 03:45:47 am »
Hi bsodmike,

Welcome to the forum. In your first three posts you've upgraded from a purported "starter bench PSU" to a high-resolution, programmable, and remote controllable one costing some serious money. You may want to back up a bit and describe what you'll be using it for and where you see yourself going in electronics. If you're just starting out, you can do so for significantly less money (especially living in the US) until you figure out what your needs will be.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2020, 02:30:14 pm »
Hi bitseeker -

Thanks for the welcome; I've also updated my profile as I'm way out in Asia.
Trouble is we do not have decent local agents, and most get clients to pay for the item and only then do these agents place and order and import the item.

I've found a dodgy dealer locally wanting $1,100 for the Rigol DP832; my options pretty much start in that ballpark so I thought I might as well go for something decent.

I'm looking to work on a range of projects, some nixie tube stuff, dc-dc switchmode PSUs, tinkering with opamps.  Fair bit of microcontroller work etc.

Thanks.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2020, 02:35:00 pm »

In terms of pricing though, that only matches the cost of a E36311A (~GBP1,000)
https://export.farnell.com/keysight-technologies/e36311a/dc-power-supply-3o-p-6v-5a-prog/dp/2750660?st=power%20supply

E36312A: GBP1,200.  Similar specs to E36311A (minimal difference).  Both are 80W as well.

E36313A: GBP~1,500: Ch1 is 6V/10A, Ch2 & 3 bump up to 2A which would be handy.  160W total.  I'll ask my local agent to quote this as well.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2020, 03:10:54 pm »
How is the import tax situation in Sri Lanka? You could choose to buy overseas if local dealers ask insane prices. If there is a hefty import tax and/or shipping is expensive then buying local may make more sense.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2020, 06:40:16 am »
How is the import tax situation in Sri Lanka? You could choose to buy overseas if local dealers ask insane prices. If there is a hefty import tax and/or shipping is expensive then buying local may make more sense.

Just recently 8% VAT was dropped by the govt. so the overhead that I can see is a large profit margin by the distributors & shipping costs.  For the Keysight E36313A the distributor is quoting US$2,890/- say WUT? :-DD

I'm checking with agents in Singapore for a direct purchase, this way I can get a clearer idea on shipping costs as well.  Thanks!

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2020, 01:09:48 pm »

I was doing some research on this unit and found this video showing horrible firmware issues?  Any ideas on what the state on these are now?

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2020, 01:21:49 pm »
The ones that you buy nowadays are fine. I bought an early model E36313A and it got fixed for free by Keysight (as it should). Didn't even had to pay shipping or bring it to the post office.

The following users thanked this post: bsodmike

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2020, 03:26:05 pm »
The ones that you buy nowadays are fine. I bought an early model E36313A and it got fixed for free by Keysight (as it should). Didn't even had to pay shipping or bring it to the post office.

I checked the manual for E36313A to double check if this could be run as a bipolar output (i.e. if you wanted say generate +/-15v, by connecting two terminals together. (Page 3 here shows this config in the datasheet for the BK Precision model 9130B) https://bkpmedia.s3.amazonaws.com/downloads/datasheets/en-us/9130B_Series_datasheet.pdf

Have you been able to run your Keysight this way? Thanks!

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2020, 03:29:45 pm »

I checked the manual for E36313A to double check if this could be run as a bipolar output (i.e. if you wanted say generate +/-15v, by connecting two terminals together. (Page 3 here shows this config in the datasheet for the BK Precision model 9130B) https://bkpmedia.s3.amazonaws.com/downloads/datasheets/en-us/9130B_Series_datasheet.pdf

You can do that with the E36313A too. It is a basic feature of every dual channel power supply. In tracking mode you can adjust both positive and negative voltage in one go.

Offline Jan Audio

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2020, 03:47:53 pm »
IMHO the GW Instek GPP-4323 offers good value for money while avoiding the short comings of the Siglent (no keypad) and Rigol (channels not fully isolated).

Hey, nice one, only i see no youtube movies, is it new ?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2020, 05:03:59 pm »

You can do that with the E36313A too. It is a basic feature of every dual channel power supply. In tracking mode you can adjust both positive and negative voltage in one go.

I thought so too, it didn't seem like that configuration was anything special; odd that BK Precision would try to sell you on that though!  On the keysight, the auto-serial mode with Chan 2 + 3 seems pretty neat, for an extended range to 50vdc.  This going to run me $2,860 but I'm throwing in the towel and going with the keysight.  Thanks!

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2020, 05:42:24 pm »

Hey, nice one, only i see no youtube movies, is it new ?
There is a good review here:
https://www.electrobob.com/gpp-4323-power-supply-review/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf