Author Topic: Agilent 53132A Single pulse measurement ?  (Read 1015 times)

Offline JohnPiTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Agilent 53132A Single pulse measurement ?
« on: May 26, 2020, 08:08:02 pm »
I am trying to measure the pulse width of individual pulses with my 53132A frequency counter. The pulses are < 1 us wide.

If I use a signal generator and set the frequency to over 70 Hz, I can measure using the counter's pulsewidth feature (in fact it displays an _average_ of the widths over the gate time). I have the input set to DC-coupled and manually set the threshold (I have a 5 V signal).

I have tried using the external trigger, but end up with similar behavior -- need > 70 Hz to get reliable triggering (and even then it's an _average_ of the pulses in). There is no available Gate Time setting in pulsewidth mode, but if you set the Gate Time in frequency counter mode, it appears to remain active in pulsewidth mode.

Does anyone know how to do this ? Ultimately, I'd like to measure single pulses, either individually if they come in at a low rate (say < 1 Hz), or if they are  faster, the 1st in a group (perhaps triggered by the external trigger).

Offline StefanF

• Contributor
Re: Agilent 53132A Single pulse measurement ?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 08:56:06 pm »
Hello John

I had the same problem with my 53131A, but found a solution now.
Even though there is used 1 channel when measuring pulse width, it still stays a 2-channel measurement.
So you must setup channel 2 equal as channel 1.

https://edadocs.software.keysight.com/kkbopen/why-cant-53131a-measure-pulse-width-of-signal-below-30hz-580260961.html

Kind regards

Stefan

Offline dacman

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Agilent 53132A Single pulse measurement ?
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 10:25:14 pm »
Pulse Width assumes a continuous pulse and the Gate still applies.  For an individual pulse, use Time Interval 1 to 2, and set Input 1 and 2 to Common.  Be sure to set parameters for both channels, such as DC, X10, Filter, Start Trigger Level, Stop Trigger Level, etc.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf