Author Topic: Agilent 6632B Binding posts  (Read 1711 times)

Offline maatTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Agilent 6632B Binding posts
« on: July 27, 2020, 08:20:20 pm »
I have quite a few HP/Agilent 6632B in the lab and would like to convert them from rear panel outputs to front panel outputs. To do that I would like to replicate the option 020 A4 board. I found the schematics on p.77 in the service manual, but unfortunately the BOM on p.71 does not list the 4 inductors L601-L604. Does anybody out there have an original 6633B, 6634B, 6632B, or 66332A with 020? I would be very grateful if somebody would share the value of those inductors.

• Regular Contributor
Re: Agilent 6632B Binding posts
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 11:02:21 pm »
I finally got around to design a PCB to mount 5 binding posts to the front panel of my 6632Bs. I now have the outputs, sense connections and the chasis ground wired to the front.

In case someone is interested, I have but the design files on Github: https://github.com/PatrickBaus/HP6632B_binding_posts. I will update the github repo with the assembly instructions in the next couple of days.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 11:06:49 pm by maat »

The following users thanked this post: av500, bateau020

Offline bateau020

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2022, 06:34:22 pm »
This work, combined with Barbouri's work, inspired me to take what I found to be the best from both worlds and create an update.

The following changes were made to maat/Patrick Baus's original version:

- the terminals are moved around to match a more standard layout.
- added documentation about the connectivity to the main board.
- the wire connections are moved to better align with the hole in the chassis behind the posts.
- the slot in the PCB for the front panel fixation screw is widened a bit to allow more freedom.
- newer KiCad version (6.0).
- added a FreeCAD model.

See https://github.com/hb020/HP6632B_binding_posts.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 06:41:26 pm by bateau020 »

The following users thanked this post: HighVoltage, giovannirat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2022, 06:58:13 am »
This work, combined with Barbouri's work, inspired me to take what I found to be the best from both worlds and create an update.

The following changes were made to maat/Patrick Baus's original version:

- the terminals are moved around to match a more standard layout.
- added documentation about the connectivity to the main board.
- the wire connections are moved to better align with the hole in the chassis behind the posts.
- the slot in the PCB for the front panel fixation screw is widened a bit to allow more freedom.
- newer KiCad version (6.0).
- added a FreeCAD model.

See https://github.com/hb020/HP6632B_binding_posts.

Looks very nice. Good Work. My layout was inspired by some R&S PSUs, but you are right, the more traditional layout is different. How did you solder the binding posts? Did directly solder them to the PCB? I used wires so lessen the mechanical stress onto the solder joint.

Offline bateau020

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2022, 07:21:16 am »
Yes, soldered them in directly on the PCB. Easier, and with the fairly thick and dense 3D printed backplate on which I fastened the binding posts, the stress should be acceptable. But yes, wires would have been better.
Am working on a compatible option #760 relay board by the way. Will post about that when finished.

Offline bateau020

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2022, 12:29:33 pm »
Just finished the #760 relay board option. See here: https://github.com/hb020/HP6632B_relay_board

This relay board allows 2 things:
- the use of these power supplies as a 4 quadrant "poor man's SMU" (but with small relay glitches and delays, see the git repo for how much).
- to isolate the output. In some situations, like with a large capacitive load or a battery, it is possible to damage the PSU's crowbar circuit when switching the output off. This board allows the disconnection of the output terminals.

Will add support of it in TestController.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 05:17:14 pm by bateau020 »

The following users thanked this post: Swake, maat

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf