Author Topic: Agilent DSO6014A is the fixed 1meg input impedance a concern?  (Read 1889 times)

Offline Chris WilsonTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Race car engineer, dog lover, hoarder.
I am looking at a used Agilent DSO6014A  100 MHz scope, and I note the 100 MHz bandwidth models only have input ports with 1 meg ohm input impedance. I am mainly into amateur radio and also attempt repairs on 1980's test gear. Will the fixed 1 meg input impedance be a PITA, or can I use 50 ohm feed through resistors when required? I currently use old school analogue scopes. Any other comments on these scopes welcome. I am in the UK, thanks.
Best regards,

Chris Wilson.

Online HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
Re: Agilent DSO6014A is the fixed 1meg input impedance a concern?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 01:22:41 pm »
The DSO6000 series is internally the same as the DSO7000 series scopes.
I used an older 100 MHZ 7000 series scope in the past and just used a 50 ohm feed through resistors, when needed. No problem at all.
You can find them on ebay with reasonable prices.

My Agilent MSO7104B luckily can switch between 1M ohm and 50 Ohm.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Agilent DSO6014A is the fixed 1meg input impedance a concern?
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 01:35:47 pm »
Of course it isn't 1Mohm input impedance. It is 1Mohm//11pF, and it is worth working out the frequency at which the capactive impedance starts to dominate the resistance.

If you are using bog-standard *10 "high impedance" probes, make sure they can be compensated with a 11pF scope.

Apart from that, you can always use a 50ohm feedthrough terminator if you are looking at RF signals, or with a "low"-impedance *10 Z0 probe (N.B. the quotes - Z0 probes are actually higher impedance than so-called high-impedance probes!)

At 100MHz you could also use a 50ohm terminator on a BNC T-piece.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf