Author Topic: Agilent E7495 linux root account  (Read 137673 times)

Online Wallace Gasiewicz

• Super Contributor
Re: Agilent E7495 linux root account
« Reply #325 on: March 28, 2019, 10:35:12 am »
I think I am almost ready to do the 6.25 upgrade then the clock/freq hack.
I have the 6.25 files
I have putty and telnet
I have a PCMCIA card and a computer with a working PCMCIA port and windows 7
The PCMCIA card has an old 6.14 upgrade on it.
My new 7495 works fine at present with the exception of the Freq/time issue, yellow triangle, tracks satellites .
Questions:
Can I use telnet to do the upgrade? Or do I copy the old 6.4 to my computer and save it, wipe the card and add
egclient.jar and full 6.25 upgrade to the card? Then use the card in the 7495?
I do not have a Hex reader at present, any recommendations? I have Minipro programmer and have used it several times in the past to work with EPROM. Just converted 8713 to 8714, I have an extra unit if anyone is interested.
I would like to make the hack changes to the files before I upgrade the 7495, are the binary addresses the same?
Can I do that?
I know the hack will not work on my present OS because the binary addresses are not the same. I guess I could look for the lines of code though.

Any help would be appreciated, Wally
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 11:02:56 am by Wallace Gasiewicz »

Offline kirill_ka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #326 on: March 28, 2019, 01:07:45 pm »
I would like to make the hack changes to the files before I upgrade the 7495, are the binary addresses the same?
Can I do that?
Hi Wally,

Make sure the hash for the resulting binary is correct. This is a reliable way to know you did the right thing. I'm not sure if it's easy to apply the patch to the upgrade package,
but you can always telnet to E7495 and replace the binary after the upgrade.
See here for sha256 hashes: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/agilent-e7495-linux-root-account/msg1212269/#msg1212269

Offline kirill_ka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #327 on: March 28, 2019, 01:30:15 pm »
Does anyone know, how to disable HW options? For instance, I removed the power meter board to add a second channel to the E4418B power meter.
I hacked some "registry" files to make it boot, but the power meter option is still there. I want to remove it cleanly.

Offline darnelld

« Reply #328 on: March 28, 2019, 09:02:22 pm »
root login.. I just picked up this great little box to use a spec an for TRP measurements. For the life of me I can't log in as root. I looked at the securetty file (file contents below) and noticed that I according this, I am not allowed to log in as root over telnet because the ttyp0 and ttyp1 are not allowed. Any ideas how I can get around this?

Thanks!

[guest@E749xx /etc]$cat securetty
# /etc/securetty: list of terminals on which root is allowed to login.
# See securetty(5) and login(1).
#
# Include ttyp0, ttyp1, etc to allow telnet access. *NOT RECOMMENDED*
tty1
tty2
ttyS0
ttyS1
ttyS2
ttyS3
ttyS4
ttyS5
pts/0
pts/1
pts/2
pts/3
pts/4
pts/5
[guest@E749xx /etc]$

Offline kirill_ka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #329 on: March 29, 2019, 09:53:17 am »
pts/? serves the same purpose as ttyp?. I think the comment about ttyp is obsolete. Have you upgraded to 6.25?

Offline technogeeky

• Frequent Contributor
  • Older New "New Player" Player Playa'
« Reply #330 on: March 29, 2019, 10:42:33 am »
Does anyone know, how to disable HW options? For instance, I removed the power meter board to add a second channel to the E4418B power meter.
I hacked some "registry" files to make it boot, but the power meter option is still there. I want to remove it cleanly.

I suppose I have a similar question about the T1 analyzer.

As far as I know, the only way to stop the (very) long T1 analyzer initialization process from going is to disconnect the hardware. Anyone else know a way to stop it while leaving the hardware unchanged?

Offline kirill_ka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #331 on: March 29, 2019, 11:33:50 am »
As far as I know, the only way to stop the (very) long T1 analyzer initialization process from going is to disconnect the hardware.
When I disconnected the power meter board, it didn't start. So I'm not sure if this is an option with the T1.
The service guide mentions some serial number editing utility which is used to enable HW options...

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #332 on: March 29, 2019, 12:09:35 pm »
As far as I know, the only way to stop the (very) long T1 analyzer initialization process from going is to disconnect the hardware. Anyone else know a way to stop it while leaving the hardware unchanged?

Try removing hardware option from elgato.lic. The very beginning of this thread is about adding/hacking software options, maybe removal works same way..

Offline darnelld

« Reply #333 on: March 29, 2019, 09:51:33 pm »
pts/? serves the same purpose as ttyp?. I think the comment about ttyp is obsolete. Have you upgraded to 6.25?

Actually no, let me give that a try... just got a compact flash to install from

Offline technogeeky

• Frequent Contributor
  • Older New "New Player" Player Playa'
« Reply #334 on: March 29, 2019, 11:29:57 pm »

Try removing hardware option from elgato.lic. The very beginning of this thread is about adding/hacking software options, maybe removal works same way..

I should have said I tried this; this does not work.

Online Wallace Gasiewicz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #335 on: March 30, 2019, 01:30:18 pm »
I just did an apparently successful upgrade to 6.25.
However, I cannot do the time/frequency patch
There is no egServer file nor any elgato that I can find anywhere.
[root@Linux /root]$cd /flash goes to [root@Linux /flash]$
cd /egServer : No such file or directory
Any suggestions?
Wally

Online Wallace Gasiewicz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #336 on: March 30, 2019, 06:39:25 pm »
OK I did copy Telnet copy elgato to my computer, Linux is new to me, taking a while to comprehend.
However the binary (HEX) address 0x0122880: does not look like  4b2585e2152882e2 in the very least. I am using Frhed. I replaced it with de2585e23f2882e2 anyway and the e7495 boot stopped at the copywrite screen.
Had to reinstall 6.25 from PCMCIA. e7405 works fine . Yellow triangle still present. Date is 2004

Why is my code different?

UPDATE
I did update to 6.25
I got several copies of the zip all were 23104 KB
unzipped,put on PCMCIA Card
Rebooted the e7495 with the card
Seemed to work fine,
Copied elgato
my copy is 5224025 bytes
another person on this site quoted his file was 5195908 byes
Obviously I cannot do the time/freq patch since I cannot find the correct hex to modify
upgrade files on the PCMCIA are:
xImage  version  reloadFFS  ramdisk.gz
and folders upgrade and firmware_upgrade

what am I doing that is wrong???
what am I missing???
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 08:27:43 pm by Wallace Gasiewicz »

Offline ddcc

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #337 on: March 30, 2019, 09:49:46 pm »
Can we also get the same picture without annotations -- for A/B comparison to see your notes?

Here's the base image.

Also, can we get some shots from a low angle (say, 30 degrees up from the plane of the board) so we can see the size and configuration of RF gaskets and such.

Attached are some more images. The gasket seems to just be a separate layer of metal foil that is sandwiched between the PCB and the metal enclosure; I lined it up with the metal walls as shown in the photo.

Offline ddcc

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #338 on: March 30, 2019, 09:57:12 pm »
I plan to do a writeup with some more photos once (if) I manage to fix this receiver. The odd part about this problem is that the loss measurements are consistently too high, and they don't seem to be affected by whatever is connected to the source port. Today, I had a 10db attenuator connected, so I'd expect around 20db of return loss, but the measurements hit -10db!

The generator definitely seems to be working though, when set to a frequency sweep for 1.5 GHz to 1.5001 GHz return loss measurements, I see the correct signal at the coupled port. I also see some weird reflections at the transmitted port, I'm not sure if this is normal? But I don't think the problem is with any of the switches, because I see the signal all the way back on the analyzer input path (although the signal is radiating enough that I can see it without even probing the board), and because I'd expect the measurements to be super low if the switches failed, since there'd probably still be a bit of parasitic coupling? I'm wondering now if the rework performed on my unit might have something to do with this problem.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 10:10:51 pm by ddcc »

Offline kirill_ka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #339 on: April 01, 2019, 12:14:55 pm »
Copied elgato
my copy is 5224025 bytes
another person on this site quoted his file was 5195908 byes
It was definitely LF -> CR-LF converted. FTP transfer in text mode I guess. Switch FTP to binary mode.

Offline darnelld

« Reply #340 on: April 01, 2019, 03:52:10 pm »

unfortunately after a clean install and upgrade to 6.25, I am still having the same issues. I am typing (See me image)
su
password: wh1skers

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
« Reply #341 on: April 01, 2019, 03:59:08 pm »

unfortunately after a clean install and upgrade to 6.25, I am still having the same issues. I am typing (See me image)
su
Isn't it "root" instead of "su" ?

Offline darnelld

« Reply #342 on: April 01, 2019, 04:04:52 pm »

su

I think they are the same.. unless I should use the tinylogin?

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #343 on: April 01, 2019, 04:08:27 pm »

Sure. Username is "root".  Su is *command* which w/o arguments defaults to username "root".

http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man1/su.1.html

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
« Reply #344 on: April 01, 2019, 04:53:17 pm »
Sorry, I didn't see the tinylogin part.

Offline darnelld

« Reply #345 on: April 01, 2019, 09:18:56 pm »

su

I think they are the same.. unless I should use the tinylogin?

Did another clean install and I am in! Now only if I can find how to save data remotely onto my CF card :)

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #346 on: April 01, 2019, 09:55:09 pm »
Now only if I can find how to save data remotely onto my CF card :)

Everything you need to know about CF is in this thread.

in short: 1) format CF using E7495 GUI (fat32) 2) save spectrum image to CF - then it is automagically mounted as /mnt (if I remember it right) 3) copy files to/from /mnt (thus CF) as you wish

Online Wallace Gasiewicz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #347 on: April 02, 2019, 05:30:53 pm »
I thought I should provide some conclusion to my problem.
I finally solved the time/freq problem

Many thanks to all of you especially Technogeeky and KirillKa
I put the de2585e23f2882e2 code into the full625 on the PCMCIA card and booted the e7495

I have a nice green light and can do the time base adjustment.

I suppose the new Full625 (with the time/freq change) that I now have may be helpful to some of you.
If anyone wants it I believe I can supply it.
I can supply particulars as to the specific file and location if anyone is interested and want to modify the file themselves

I put the file on Groups.io HP Agilent Keysight Equipment Group
Go to the group and Search for e7495, easier to find post this way
Zipped file is an attachment to my last post

Wally
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 04:29:41 am by Wallace Gasiewicz »

Offline darnelld

« Reply #348 on: April 04, 2019, 08:05:15 pm »
Thank you all for information in this thread. Because of it now I have a new toy (A model).

Port 5025 now accepts any login as well, though I was hoping it'd be SCPI (commonly on that port)... instead, it looks like it's something called the "DMC Shell".  Typing "help", it says "The Dmc Shell accepts "C" like function statements and assignments" and gives some examples... not sure how useful it is.
The "DMC shell" looks like some kind debugger. It knows functions and variables of elgato process. I don't think it's useful without source code.
Interesting thing I found that E7495 is supported by toro executable - N1996A server.
I guess, E7495 might be used during N1996A development when N1996 hw was not ready. Maybe E7496 = N1996.
Up to this point I got "toro" running on E7495 with some tweaking. It responds to SCPI and HTTP and looks quite healthy. toroGui starts but it might be useless due to keypad differencies.
Next thing is to deal with license file and options. Spectrum analyser refuses to work without license. I don't expect a lot, because toro doesn't handle E7495 as N1996.
We'll see...

I have read through this thread a few times... I am looking to be able to send scpi commands to save the spec an trace...a LOT of traces (18*36) for a single TRP measurement. This entry says that it repsponds to SCPI and looks healthy, but I haven't seen anyone comment further. If this is the case, any specifics (other than the 6 stop process below) on how to get it done over TCP/IP. This is the only function I am using the device for, so any other suggestions are welcome if SCPI over TCP/IP doesn't work! ...

Either that or I am going to have some very sore fingers from typing in those file names...

Offline kirill_ka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #349 on: April 05, 2019, 09:15:40 am »
This entry says that it repsponds to SCPI and looks healthy, but I haven't seen anyone comment further.
That was an attempt to run N1996A software on E7495A. The linux part mostly works but I couldn't get anything useful out of it, because it was not able to properly start the spectrum analyser task inside the RF board. The RF board seem to use the Analog Devices' SHARC DSP which is unknown beast to me. If someone could reverse engineer the DSP code, it would definitely take E7495A hacking to the next level.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf