Author Topic: Keysight 16861A LA: is acquisition memory in motherboard DIMMs?  (Read 664 times)

Offline testerIsTestingTopic starter

Keysight 16861A LA: is acquisition memory in motherboard DIMMs?
« on: November 14, 2023, 04:47:46 pm »
Hi! It seems the acquisition memory of the logic analyzer in our lab has died: the acquired data is basically garbage and the self-test fails the "Acquisition Memory Cell Test" (all other tests run fine and pass).

Can this be solved by replacing the DDR DIMMs on the LA motherboard? Or is the "acquisition memory" located in a different chip? Is it replaceable at all, or is the logic analyzer dead?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
Re: Keysight 16861A LA: is acquisition memory in motherboard DIMMs?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2023, 06:13:22 pm »
I'm not familiar with this series of logic analyzers, but the acquisition memory will be separate from the memory of the embedded PC. Likely close to the FPGAs responsible for acquisition. In the 16700 series memory would be soldered to the acquisition board, and my guess is that it's still the same in the 16800 series.
It wouldn't surprise me if your unit is basically a PC with embedded 16750 logic analyzer blade.

You might find some helpful information when searching for 1675x repair threads on this forum. Though your unit won't suffer from the corrosion that plagued the 16750 series.

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2023, 06:27:15 pm »
Acquisition memory is an array of individual chips on the acquisition board - usually a pretty obvious layout feature on the board, and they are soldered in place.  These are not the DIMMs for the PC portion.

Replaceable at all, sure, but not without soldering.  They are likely something like TSOP II packages.

Offline testerIsTestingTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2024, 04:16:46 pm »
The LA finally came back from calibration/repair: indeed the broken memory resided in an special data acquisition board that had to be replaced.
Thanks everyone for your replies!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf