Author Topic: Agilent N9310A Rf sig gen. Faulty & beyond economic repair by Keysight  (Read 1706 times)

Offline OldtestgearTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Not sure where to put this, so apologies if I am completely wrong.
I have an N9310A in nice cosmetic condition that is faulty. The attenuator seems to be the culprit. At -30dBm & below it is absolutely fine. At 0dBm the output is actually -50dB. Keysight estimate the cost of repair at £4500.  Probably because the RF module is quoted as "obsolete".

So  not worth paying for the repair but possibly repairable if someone has a faulty display or mainboard. I am open to any suggestions as to the best way forward. I will sell it if someone needs parts or buy a working RF module if someone has one they want to sell. Any option can be discussed that means a machine can be got working again.

Thoughts / Ideas /comments? 

Phil

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
picture? is it mechanical attenuator? or 4mm by 4mm chip attenuator? different type different advice... how much are you willing to sell as faulty? if the price is right, someone here will grab it pretty quick..
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
Sounds like their repair being offered is just a replacement unit.  It sort of reads as just a venting post, I don't think that it's actually going to be repairable - if anything these non-bleeding edge equipment should be easier to source parts for because it's going to be more off the shelf sort of stuff (though no schematics and fine pin pitches, for sure).

If you're not comfortable attempting the repair yourself, I'd sell and buy a used generator from a slightly older vintage.  You can get a decent 3GHz generator in fine condition for half or a quarter of that repair price, and since the one in question is a newer model, selling it as broken could actually pay for a used working older model unit...

Don't know what to tell you.  It's definitely a high quote, but it's sort of in the range I'd expect unless you have some warranty or service agreement.

Offline OldtestgearTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Not intended to be a venting post. I have other sig gens that are better & seemingly more robust, so this one can be sold to help someone else repair theirs.  I do want it to either become a parts donor or be repaired. This is because I hate things that are broken.  I am not comfortable digging around on SMT boards with no information, especially if there is another option. 

Thanks for the thoughts.

Phil

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
I'm guessing this is going to be way outside my price range but how much for the complete unit?

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
IMHO this shouldn't be really difficult to repair. Maybe the components are hard to get though.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf