Author Topic: Agilent U1242A blue rubber falling apart  (Read 1119 times)

Offline montecriTopic starter

• Contributor
Agilent U1242A blue rubber falling apart
« on: February 08, 2023, 01:57:08 pm »
Hello all,

About 2 years ago me and my brother bought a NOS Agilent U1242A multimeter each. Original boxes, manuals, leads, etc.

After some weeks of usage, we both notice the blue rubber quickly degrading. I tried to preserve mine with silicone grease but, its still degrading, even while not in use.

My brother uses his much more intensively in his shop and just told me he had to throw his in the garbage since not only the cover rubber totally fell apart but also the main knob totally disintegrated in his hands, while the selection contacts became spotty over time.

Some pictures of mine are attached.

Question: How can I "renew" mine in order to not fall apart? Or, how can I get a replacement cover/knob?

Thank you all!

- Cristiano

Offline Bushougoma

• Regular Contributor
Re: Agilent U1242A blue rubber falling apart
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2023, 07:05:44 pm »
Is it a rubberized coating going sticky?

If so nothing can be done other than to remove the coating from the plastic. I've had success using Isopropyl Alcohol.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 07:08:23 pm by Bushougoma »

Offline Wrenches of Death

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2023, 07:39:02 pm »

Does it have an odor?

Are you sure that it isn't some type of living organism? Maybe a fungus?

I've had similar looking crap grow on older Snap-on and Xcellite tool handles.

WoD

Offline Neepa

• Regular Contributor
  • Mechanic by trade Electronics enthusiast by choice
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2023, 09:31:46 pm »
Afaik this happens when some kinds of synthetic rubbers , often Polyethylene variants, encounter any amount of mineral oils.

The rubber starts to break down and comes apart in chunks as it has absorbed some of the oil. Supposedly it smeels a bit like cheese.
Upon a quick search anything EPDM will absorb mineral oil and then swell.

Overmolding on powertools done in synthetic rubber will display this behaviour too. Although on my recent Bosch drill they switched to SEBS. Was EPDM before iirc.
Turbojet Mechanic playing EE.

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2023, 01:03:02 am »
I have a few items with overmolding which had gone sticky but were otherwise fine - battery packs, tools, etc.
I covered the sticky areas with talcum powder which worked reasonably well to recover the surfaces (left some blemishes) and saved me throwing them away.

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2023, 07:05:01 pm »
Not sticky or smelly, just powdery and dry. It's literally disintegrating, if you rub your thumb against it you can see the rubber peeling off and becoming a sort of dust.

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2023, 07:10:58 pm »
No, no odor. Not sticky also. When you handle it you can see and feel the rubber peeling off and dusting dryly. It's literally disintegrating. My brother gave up on his since the central knob broke into several pieces. No pictures of his, unfortunately.

I'm still trying to save mine, thought about slightly applying a hand torch flame, perhaps to melt the surface and keep it together. Also, thinking about what kind of chemicals (if any) can restore it to a better state.

Ultimately, replacing the case entirely with the new, orange version would solve that. Keysight (the current name of Agilent) offered me no solution, they couldn't even confirm if the new orange case were compatible (I believe it is). Disappointing support.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 07:14:03 pm by montecri »

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2023, 03:22:55 pm »
Anyone?  :(

Offline Neepa

• Regular Contributor
  • Mechanic by trade Electronics enthusiast by choice
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2023, 10:22:01 pm »
At that stage I think it is really hopeless. What youre talking about is introducing some kind of bonding agent into an already existing material structure.

Even if that were possible you would have to soak the whole thing probably to get it inside uniformly. Since Keysight is keeping absolute mum about the amterial itself it is also impossible to find out if there is any viable method at all.

That said could you maybe look for any markings on it? Anything signifying what material the rubber is made out of?
Turbojet Mechanic playing EE.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf