Author Topic: Agilent U1253B Multimeter  (Read 27964 times)

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
Re: Agilent U1253B Multimeter
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2014, 03:40:10 pm »
Great, I wonder if posting on forums helped?  Keep us updated.  They did not offer an OLED as replacement or did you not want another one ;)

I have good news!!
Finally afer sending several emails to the Sales Rep. asking for buying them the OLED module ALONE as a spare part, he kindly phoned me and explaind me that Agilent's policy is not to sell electronic modules of its instruments as spare parts and that my case was a very rare one. As a compensation he offered me a NEW U1252A (the one with standard LCD display) FREE of any charge. Of course I accepted it (I don't have a precision DMM working properly at this moment!) and he will send it to Argentina via a Courier service from USA in these days. Well, we both agree that when we are talking about Agilent of Fluke you expect a customer service far better than what you get buying cheap chinese stuff. So now, I think I have recovered my faith in Agilent and this shows that when you are asking for some common sense, it finally shows up...
You will hear about me when I receive del DMM!
Thanks to all of you for your comments and support
Andrés
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 10:08:15 pm by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline alexwhittemore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2014, 10:03:08 pm »
I'm definitely glad to hear Agilent's trying to fix up their customer service situation after the whole failed firmware update debacle. I certainly understand that for the typical pro customer, human resources are more expensive and thus claiming "replace instead of repair" is a reasonable MO, but then it also seems like it's worth the few extra bucks to keep faith in the brand when things like this happen. I certainly don't want to be in 30 grand for a DSO7K series and have them dicking me around on repair costs and times, even if I'm more confident it'll get worked out in the end.

As for the display, I do LOVE the OLED indoors, and haven't experienced the fade (though I definitely don't use mine as much as you). The battery life is a huge loser, but if I'm inside I'm near the charger and other meters anyway, and if I'm outside, I'm not using the Agilent because the display is totally useless. Luckily, I don't ever need to measure things with 4.5 digit precision outside.

Of course, the ORIGINAL question was re: continuity, so I'll speak to that. People seem to complain that the Agilent's continuity detection is slow. That's fair, it is. But it's always compared to the 87-V, which has a much worse continuity mode. Here's why.

The way both continuity modes work is to measure resistance and sound a buzzer if it's below 10 ohms or something like that. The fluke is fast because it's sort of crippled, in a way: in continuity, it ranges to the lowest ohms range (600) AND STAYS THERE. So if you probe, say, a 1K connection, you won't hear a buzzer and the screen will display OL.

On the other hand, the Agilent uses its full ohms range, so if you probe a short, it'll autorange all the way from the top, which takes some time. It works out that it introduces a delay of a half second or so, where the fluke is more or less instant.

Here's the thing though: on the Agilent, you can simply manually range down to the lowest 50ohms, if you really need the buzzer to be snappy. On the Fluke, you can manually range UP to show actual measured resistance, but you can't set it to autorange in continuity mode.

I find it's more often the case that, on my bench, I have plenty of time for probing and the quickness isn't an issue, whereas I'd like to see what a value is if it ISN'T a short. For example, probing a power regulator, I can tell "these two nodes are connected" or "here's the top feedback resistor [as opposed to bottom]" in one probe, where with the fluke that'd be a PITA.

Basically, the agilent gives you the option, even if the default choice is the slower one. The fluke doesn't, so using continuity secondarily as a resistance measurement is annoying or impossible.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2014, 11:24:23 am »
FYI the 1252a that you mention is a discontinued model, its the one I have, but the only difference is the color of the chassis.

The current production LCD model is 1252b, cheaper by $50 vs the OLED 1253b.

The 1252a LCD was liquidated at $120 before the model was discontinued, just to give you an idea of what the profit margin is on these DMM and likely why repair is worse than getting a replacement [ human labor to repair vs robot costs in production].  I'd consider either LCD model a better deal so as not to have OLED which is a problem waiting to happen, and come out with a working meter of identical functionality. 

« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 11:28:59 am by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2014, 11:35:30 am »
Technically continuity means near 0 ohms, so the Fluke IMHO is configured correctly: one isn't concerned with the actual ohmic value so it should range low and stay there when selected: even 10 ohms is a bit high for continuity particularly in power circuits.  Its a fast troubleshooting tool because the next step if needed is to check the ohmic value.

In the 1252a, continuity as you describe is somewhat moot given the time response of both meters, the problem is more the volume and that its non-latched so its harder to hear.  Continuity beepers are for field work fast troubleshooting, where its often noisy, so louder is best.  Luckily, the 1252a was designed as in electronics meter and meant indoor use or even labs.

The way both continuity modes work is to measure resistance and sound a buzzer if it's below 10 ohms or something like that. The fluke is fast because it's sort of crippled, in a way: in continuity, it ranges to the lowest ohms range (600) AND STAYS THERE. So if you probe, say, a 1K connection, you won't hear a buzzer and the screen will display OL.

On the other hand, the Agilent uses its full ohms range, so if you probe a short, it'll autorange all the way from the top, which takes some time. It works out that it introduces a delay of a half second or so, where the fluke is more or less instant.

I find it's more often the case that, on my bench, I have plenty of time for probing and the quickness isn't an issue, whereas I'd like to see what a value is if it ISN'T a short. For example, probing a power regulator, I can tell "these two nodes are connected" or "here's the top feedback resistor [as opposed to bottom]" in one probe, where with the fluke that'd be a PITA.

Basically, the agilent gives you the option, even if the default choice is the slower one. The fluke doesn't, so using continuity secondarily as a resistance measurement is annoying or impossible.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline alexwhittemore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2014, 04:36:08 pm »
If you're probing for continuity, that's true. But in my experience, I'm rarely probing for only continuity with zero interest in actual ohmic value.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2014, 04:43:01 pm »
Yes, you're right likely just ohms is more valuable that the continuity beeper.  But it can be a timesaver so your eyes needn't be on the screen.  The 1272a flash its LCD with a beep, which is even more  helpful than just a beep, and it is near Fluke 87v loud too.

If you're probing for continuity, that's true. But in my experience, I'm rarely probing for only continuity with zero interest in actual ohmic value.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline alexwhittemore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2014, 04:45:46 pm »
Actually, now that I play, it looks like the agilent actually ranges down to 500 ohms in continuity just like the fluke - maybe that was a firmware update or something. The agilent also has a convenient "tone" mode for continuity where the frequency of the tone is proportional to the actual resistance, so you can audibly tell the difference between a dead short and, say, 100R. I really like that.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2014, 06:36:49 pm »
 :-+ Really?  Hmm will look into it, didn't know such existed :palm:

Actually, now that I play, it looks like the agilent actually ranges down to 500 ohms in continuity just like the fluke - maybe that was a firmware update or something. The agilent also has a convenient "tone" mode for continuity where the frequency of the tone is proportional to the actual resistance, so you can audibly tell the difference between a dead short and, say, 100R. I really like that.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline alexwhittemore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2014, 06:44:39 pm »
Yeah, if you go into setup, second page, under Continuity there are three options, single, tone, and off. Single is what you'd typically expect (latching buzzer, on when short), and tone will beep low-frequency if there's a relatively high (couple hundred ohms) resistance, and will increase in frequency to a continuous tone at short. Off is kind of stupid, it lets you set no tone at all, instead it just displays an open/closed switch graphic on the left of the screen. But it's tiny, the bar graph and display are both much more obvious. You could just as easily display the switch graphic in both other modes. And of course, the display doesn't flash or anything in any of those modes like the 1272 does.

Offline Andrusca

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2014, 12:26:01 pm »
Well, finally I received the U1252A in compensation for my U1253A. They neither offered me a new U1253A nor I want it! Although the U1252A is discontinued, also it is mine U1253A. So, I think it was not so unfair to receive A U1252A instead of a U1252B. Maybe when I have some spare time, I would try to replace the OLED display by a new one and so I would give this instrument a better use. I think that posting here made some difference in the way that Agilent treated this case. I referenced this post when I contacted Agilent´s technical and sales representatives.
Thank you for your comments.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2014, 11:56:23 pm »
Well, finally I received the U1252A in compensation for my U1253A. They neither offered me a new U1253A nor I want it! Although the U1252A is discontinued, also it is mine U1253A. So, I think it was not so unfair to receive A U1252A instead of a U1252B. Maybe when I have some spare time, I would try to replace the OLED display by a new one and so I would give this instrument a better use. I think that posting here made some difference in the way that Agilent treated this case. I referenced this post when I contacted Agilent´s technical and sales representatives.
Thank you for your comments.
I'm surprised they had any A variants remaining.  :o But I hope it serves you well, and more importantly, allows you to get back to building circuits.   ;D

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2014, 03:31:29 pm »
Enjoy, and give us any feedback of any major differences between the 1252a and the 1253a or 1253b.  IIRC the only key difference was the color and the OLED screen.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline Andrusca

• Contributor
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2014, 08:11:20 pm »
Hello,
I have discovered an annoying difference between my old U1253a (with the worn out OLED display) and my just-received U1252a (from Agilent as a compensation). According to the datasheets, both DMM can measure up to 4V in "Diode" function.  My U1253a behaves correctly but  the strange issue is that the U1252a only displays the right voltage value up to 2V. From this value and upwards, it shows Open Circuit even when actually the voltage is below 4V, as I checked measuring the voltage between the proves using another DMM. I attach two pics showing the test of 2 LEDs in series, one using my U1253a and the other using my U1252a. I would want to know if someone has found a similar behavior in U1252a. I want to be sure if this is a general limitation of this model or Agilent has just sent me a faulty DMM...
Thnak you

Offline Owen

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2014, 09:36:36 pm »
I would want to know if someone has found a similar behavior in U1252a. I want to be sure if this is a general limitation of this model or Agilent has just sent me a faulty DMM...

From the user's and service guide (Tenth Edition, May 4, 2012) "The meter can display the diode’s forward bias of up to approximately 2.1 V. A typical diode’s forward bias is between the range of 0.3 V to 0.8 V."  .... So it looks like this would be normal. They've probably changed the specs on the newer orange ones...

Offline zaoka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2014, 11:10:36 pm »
Andrustca get HIOKI meter... Agilent meters are full of bugs.
I have U1272A and its capacitance range is unusable.. you just cant go to the field..., test capacitor and be sure its OK or not..

If capacitor has higher ESR or change in dialectric this meter just cant measure it.. it just keep changing measured value like crazy..  Also if you measure on different range sometimes it shows over 60% of difference...

Smooting mode does not work...

I also had U3401A they had problem with beeper when measuring diodes..

Those big companies they dont care about end users who own less expensive meter.. their representatives cant to anything except collecting user information and statistics..

HIOKI, FLUKE or Gossen... i will never buy another handheld meter from different company

Offline chickenHeadKnob

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2014, 01:41:24 am »
Hello,
I have discovered an annoying difference between my old U1253a (with the worn out OLED display) and my just-received U1252a (from Agilent as a compensation).

Hi Andrusca, can you tell us approximately how many display on hours and total lifetime (including shelf time) for that oled meter?. Wow it is very dim..

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2014, 11:40:02 am »
@Andrusca, are you aware you still have the LCD protecting plastic on your old U1253A? Removing it may allow a few extra photons out! HiHi
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline nowlan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2014, 12:49:22 pm »
That is a truly shameful oled display.
I am also concerned about the rubber used on edges and dial.

Offline Andrusca

• Contributor
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2014, 11:42:40 pm »
Hello,
@Owen: You are right, but in the DC specifications states it can deliver up to 4.2V (page 152 of the same manual). It is quite pointless to be ready to measure up to 4.2V and only display up to 2.1V. This situation could be confusing in some cases since in my test I have the two leds in series tested that are (poorly) shinning, but the DMM is indicating open circuit. In fact, U1253a manual states (in both user guide and specifications sections) it can display voltage up to 3.1V and it does this ended, as I checked it out using the two leds in series. At the end, I have to accept my U1252a is working according to the manual, but it is a pity I could not detect more than 2.1V of voltage drop when testing for example the behavior of integrated circuits.

@chickenHeadKnob: I have the U1253a since September 2009, with 5 hours of use per week aprox. The thing is I sometimes work in dirty environments and my hands are not so clean. Regarding the peeling off, part is due to once trying to clean the knob using Isoprophilic alcohol, I think it softened the plastic.

@ VK5RC: Yes, I am aware, but I always prefered to keep it to avoid scratches. I think you are right that is time to take it off... (but I get not much change in brightness)

Offline lowimpedance

• Super Contributor
  • Watts in an ohm?
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2014, 01:31:33 am »
 I just checked 2 RED LEDs each having a Vf of 1.65V on my 1252a and when in series the display is OL, but noted that each LED was dimly lit.
So It would appear your 52a is working correctly!. Would be interesting to see if someone with a 1253a or b could also test to see if the display shows the VF or OL.
The odd multimeter or 2 or 3 or 4...or........can't remember !.

Offline Andrusca

• Contributor
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2014, 01:51:07 am »
@lowimpedance: I have made the same test with my u1253a and it shows de VF properly (see my pics in a previous reply). So U1252a is not equivalent (worse) to U1253a in "diode function"

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2014, 08:25:27 am »
A U1253B doesn't cover 2x1.8V LEdiodes at the same time. It does cover two signal diodes or one LED.
From the manual   " This multimeter can display diode forward bias of up to approximately 3.1 V. The forward bias of a typical diode is within the range of 0.3 V to 0.8V."
The battery (rechargeable LiPo) life is a lot better since the software upgrade, which went well,  (battery charging programme terminated early) I reckon I get about 20 hours, mostly 5mins at a time. I last charged in ~April.
I have had no problems with the display on my unit now about 3-4 years old, nor the rubber, please see below pics.
I have looked on other fora and can not find an 'avalanche' (pun intended) of OLED failures in Agilent DMMs.
I have a Fluke 87V as well, but I reach for the Agilent first as the display is so good.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2014, 02:26:02 pm »
Yes, not to mislead readers so its good you provide some balance.  The key issue is compared to other primary rival display technologies such as standard backlit color LCD or simple reflective LCD, which have ~ far lower rate of failures, relatively speaking.

In summary:

http://eitidaten.fh-pforzheim.de/daten/mitarbeiter/blankenbach/vorlesungen/displays/ed_OLEDs.pdf

I have looked on other fora and can not find an 'avalanche' (pun intended) of OLED failures in Agilent DMMs.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf