Author Topic: Agilent U1272A vs. U1252B  (Read 10002 times)

Offline echen1024Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
Agilent U1272A vs. U1252B
« on: February 16, 2014, 02:07:19 am »
I know this has been asked before, however, has not been answered directly. I will be purchasing one of these meters, and from what I have seen, the Agilent U1272 seems more geared to industrial electricians, while the U1252 seems better an electronics meter. Things that put me off on the 1252 is the relatively pissy battery life, and the mediocre build, which the 1272 seems to fix completely. I really like the 20MHz frequency counter, however, since I do not have a frequency counter. 50k counts is not really that important, but the square wave generator seems like a cool feature to have. Is there anyone with both who can comment?

edit: I am aware of alternatives, such as the Brymen BM867, but am specifically looking at these 2.
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/echen1024

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
Re: Agilent U1272A vs. U1252B
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 03:54:29 am »
I have the U1252B if that will help, but don't own or have access to a U1272A. Comparing manuals (detailed spec pages can really help though).

Now for build quality, it's not bad by a long shot (actually quite good). No, it's not IP-67 rated as the U1272A is, but it doesn't need to be either. It can take a hit from a fall off a table (~1m or so), which is all the abuse it should realistically see. Toss it in water, run over it with a car, ..., probably not (too chicken to test any of this).

Features wise, it's definitely aimed more at electronics. The counter function would be nice as you don't have one, but isn't as good as a separate unit (i.e. allow you to use the DMM for other measurements simultaneously), and if you have a use for it, the square wave gen too (better to get a used FG IMHO, as again, it will free up the DMM for other measurements).

Don't be too concerned over battery life (gets way too overblown IMHO), especially for bench use. Say using it for 2hrs per day, you'd be able to get a ~month out of a battery before needing to recharge it (not running the backlight all the time; OLED versions are the models that chew through batteries). At 8hrs per day, ~ 9 days. Worst case, get a couple of decent low self discharge NiMH batteries and a separate charger (8.4V max rechargeable IIRC; stock battery is 7.2V & what times are based on). That way, you can keep at least one fresh battery on the ready should you need to change it (which is quick and easy to do).

Hope this helps. :)

If you have any specific questions on this meter, just ask, and I'll do my best.  8)

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 04:02:44 am »
I have the U1252B if that will help, but don't own or have access to a U1272A. Comparing manuals (detailed spec pages can really help though).

Now for build quality, it's not bad by a long shot (actually quite good). No, it's not IP-67 rated as the U1272A is, but it doesn't need to be either. It can take a hit from a fall off a table (~1m or so), which is all the abuse it should realistically see. Toss it in water, run over it with a car, ..., probably not (too chicken to test any of this).

Features wise, it's definitely aimed more at electronics. The counter function would be nice as you don't have one, but isn't as good as a separate unit (i.e. allow you to use the DMM for other measurements simultaneously), and if you have a use for it, the square wave gen too (better to get a used FG IMHO, as again, it will free up the DMM for other measurements).

Don't be too concerned over battery life (gets way too overblown IMHO), especially for bench use. Say using it for 2hrs per day, you'd be able to get a ~month out of a battery before needing to recharge it (not running the backlight all the time; OLED versions are the models that chew through batteries). At 8hrs per day, ~ 9 days. Worst case, get a couple of decent low self discharge NiMH batteries and a separate charger (8.4V max rechargeable IIRC; stock battery is 7.2V & what times are based on). That way, you can keep at least one fresh battery on the ready should you need to change it (which is quick and easy to do).

Hope this helps. :)

If you have any specific questions on this meter, just ask, and I'll do my best.  8)
I have an Agilent FG that they kindly donated, so the square wave gen is just a nice thing to have, and the counter will be of much use to me since my FG (33120A) does not have a built in counter. The curved form factor of the 1272 is just so damn sexy though.
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 04:14:08 am »
I have an Agilent FG that they kindly donated [snip].
If you don't mind, how did you manage this?  :o

so the square wave gen is just a nice thing to have, and the counter will be of much use to me since my FG (33120A) does not have a built in counter. The curved form factor of the 1272 is just so damn sexy though.
8)

As per the form factor, the U1252B is nice IMHO, and fits well in my hands. I'm tall though so that may be why I don't have a problem (imagine a 6'-4" Human-Orangutan hybrid).  :-DD

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 04:19:37 am »
I have an Agilent FG that they kindly donated [snip].
If you don't mind, how did you manage this?  :o

so the square wave gen is just a nice thing to have, and the counter will be of much use to me since my FG (33120A) does not have a built in counter. The curved form factor of the 1272 is just so damn sexy though.
8)

As per the form factor, the U1252B is nice IMHO, and fits well in my hands. I'm tall though so that may be why I don't have a problem (imagine a 6'-4" Human-Orangutan hybrid).  :-DD
Well, I kindly wrote them that I was a 15 year old student that needed a function generator. This multimeter is coming from a very wealthy household in my extended family.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 05:32:54 am »
Since you never answer this simple but crucial question HERE, which is important when selecting test equipment.

I guess you're in the mission on collecting T&M equipments instead of playing with real electronics ?  >:D

If this is true, then it doesn't matter, just toss a coin and take a pick, since once you gathered enough money again in the future, you can have the other type that you missed.  :-DD

When it comes to T&M equipments, the one that have "too many" functions with kitchen sink + fridge included  :palm:, usually has low or mediocre quality on that particular function, compared to a dedicated unit that only has that particular function, freq counter is a good example.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 06:51:02 am »
It is a bit out of left field but have you ever thought about getting an amateur radio licence?
It is a nice structured way to get into applied electronics, getting some recognised qualifications, there is a group of electronic enthusiasts, who a significant proportion are happy to teach, called "Elmers".
While some hams just 'rag chew' some are into very serious microwave gear with spread spectrum/serious data processing. Most if not all astronauts are Hams.
The gear possibilities continue as they say from DC to daylight.
The ARRL in USA is a good organisation and helps yet to be licensed "Hams" as well as the most experienced.
The first level (of 3) can typically be obtained with 5-10 hours of study (Gov't regs etc) and hands on training re using transmitter/antennas etc.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 05:34:47 pm »
Since you never answer this simple but crucial question HERE, which is important when selecting test equipment.

I guess you're in the mission on collecting T&M equipments instead of playing with real electronics ?  >:D

If this is true, then it doesn't matter, just toss a coin and take a pick, since once you gathered enough money again in the future, you can have the other type that you missed.  :-DD

When it comes to T&M equipments, the one that have "too many" functions with kitchen sink + fridge included  :palm:, usually has low or mediocre quality on that particular function, compared to a dedicated unit that only has that particular function, freq counter is a good example.
Sorry I missed that reply. I mainly play around with analog circuits and a little bit of microcontrollers. I do very little RF stuff. I have done a few pure digital circuits as well, primarily using off the shelf transistors for those to build logic gate circuits, e.g. counters, but that was a long time ago. I have also managed to build an auto ranging DVM with the LTC2400 ADC and an ADR4540 voltage reference with a voltage divider I found in a trashed DMM.

edit: And yes, who doesn't like T&M equipment
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 05:38:03 pm by echen1024 »

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 05:35:35 pm »
It is a bit out of left field but have you ever thought about getting an amateur radio licence?
It is a nice structured way to get into applied electronics, getting some recognised qualifications, there is a group of electronic enthusiasts, who a significant proportion are happy to teach, called "Elmers".
While some hams just 'rag chew' some are into very serious microwave gear with spread spectrum/serious data processing. Most if not all astronauts are Hams.
The gear possibilities continue as they say from DC to daylight.
The ARRL in USA is a good organisation and helps yet to be licensed "Hams" as well as the most experienced.
The first level (of 3) can typically be obtained with 5-10 hours of study (Gov't regs etc) and hands on training re using transmitter/antennas etc.
That seems like a good choice. Never really thought about HAM radio before.

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 09:59:06 pm »
eh... thouht  about it and I would just go ahead an spend around $100 at DigiKey and save up the rest, maybe save up for a thermal camera. I have a decent chinese multimeter now, even without proper input protection, I will simply calibrate it against my hp 6114 and continue using it.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 03:18:25 pm »
I use the 1252a a lot, its my go-to meter in the lab.  The battery life is a non-issue for lab work because when a day is done I just connect use the test leads to the right jacks, connect it to one of my PSU and charge it up.  A single 9V NiMH LSD typically lasts 1 mo or more. 

The 1252a continuity beep is very soft but its biggest flaw is its not tough.  A portable meter's most vital quality is being able to endure getting wet in the rain, dropped, and long battery life, but that's a concern only if you are a professional field technician.  Its fine for occasional use in the field if your main work is lab based, its 1uV resolution is surprising for a HH DMM.

Best Wishes,

Saturation

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 06:57:04 pm »
Well, one of Agilent's retailers is offering me a U1272A for a little less than $200.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2014, 07:14:11 pm »
Well, one of Agilent's retailers is offering me a U1272A for a little less than $200.
Quite a deal.  :)

What are they willing to do for a U1252B though?
Worth asking about IMHO, as the MSRP's between them isn't that far off (just over $40 more for the U1252B) before pulling the trigger.  ;)

Offline electronic_eel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 10:48:33 pm »
I have both meters.

The 72 is definitively the more modern one. The switch is easier to operate, the record functions are better, the cont. beeper is better. It has some nice features like Zlow.

I have Eneloop batteries in the 72 and they last forever. On the 52 I have to reload the battery regularly, good 9V Ni-Mh aren't easy to find.

The 72 missing the extra resolution though. But for that I have a 34401a and a Keithley 2000. My 52 and 72 are primarily for mobile use.

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 11:14:46 pm »
Quite a deal.  :)

What are they willing to do for a U1252B though?
Worth asking about IMHO, as the MSRP's between them isn't that far off (just over $40 more for the U1252B) before pulling the trigger.  ;)
It's a refurb, but they don't have the U1252. This is the only one they have in stock.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 01:17:57 am »
It's a refurb.
That explains the price then.  ;)

Shame they don't have a U1252B with that sort of discount.

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2014, 01:51:52 am »
It's a refurb.
That explains the price then.  ;)

Shame they don't have a U1252B with that sort of discount.
And microlease is not willing to negotiate.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf